Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Theresa May still in charge? Brexit Discussion Thread Four

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 03, 2019, 08:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Theresa May still in Cheers?

Yeah she plays Norm
8 (21.1%)
Yes as moral support, bellowing "FUCK HIM UP SAM" at opportune moments
8 (21.1%)
Nah mate of course not; died!
6 (15.8%)
No; her backstage attempt to lez up with Diane Keaton went awry
11 (28.9%)
Mary Celeste
5 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

manticore

Doesn't May have three real options apart from a no-deal exit which she knows would be a disaster: 1) 2nd referendum; 2) General Election; or 3) apply to extend Article 50.

Out of those I would have thought she would feel forced to go for the third.

Paul Calf

She'd presumably need to get parliamentary approval to extend though.

Zetetic

Quote from: Buelligan on January 03, 2019, 11:21:06 PM
I assume you're referring to this story.  I think it, like the insanity over Seaborne Ferries, is some hastily cobbled together guff to put the fear of god and hard Brexit up any MP toying with the idea of not voting for May's Deal. 
It might just be the PSNI, independent of Westminster, doing its best to vaguely reckon what might be helpful if things go tits up. As the Guardian note, they generally request about 500 for the marching season, and this request is for up to 1000 to be available.

For context, because the Guardian naturally neglect this, there are about 6-7,000 police (well, FTE) in the PSNI.

(Doesn't mean that this info wasn't passed to the Guardian by CCHQ, of course, but it could easily have been a police officer.)

Howj Begg

May is bluffing currently to get the deal passed, but I have no doubt she would push it to a no-deal exit. The depths of this woman's perversity cannot be plumbed.

Parliament will need to remove or override her to extend A50. They'll do it, not her.

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 03, 2019, 11:42:33 PM

Yes, and what would be the point if she has already reached the end of her own Brexit line?  Her journey ends with this version of Brexit, surely?  Extending A50 would only be a valid option under a new government.

Which Tory would actually want to inherit this mess?  I know Boris is getting himself waxed for the occasion but he wants to be stepping into the gleaming light of post-Brexit Britain and beginning the process of forming a tax haven for the rich and selling us to US corporations, not be left pissing around with EU negotiations and having his shine removed.

Zetetic

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 03, 2019, 11:42:33 PM
And the governments of every other member state.

Unilateral revocation remains an option, although how you sell that to the EU and its member states at the same time as selling it to Parliament (which you probably do have to do) is tricky - something about remaining until we better understand how to arrive at the relationship with 'Europe' that the 'British people' want.

manticore

Quote from: Zetetic on January 04, 2019, 12:10:29 AM
And the governments of every other member state.

Unilateral revocation remains an option, although how you sell that to the EU and its member states at the same time as selling it to Parliament (which you probably do have to do) is tricky - something about remaining until we better understand how to arrive at the relationship with 'Europe' that the 'British people' want.

Something about trying to have a democratic debate in Britain about what kind of political system and economy it wants to have, and a debate in the EU about transforming itself so it's no longer an enabler of right-wing, xenophobic movements, as it is most especially in Italy right now.

The population of the UK has just as good a claim to have such discussions as anyone else. Both Britain and the EU need to take a good  long look in the mirror and this could be an opportunity to do so if enough people got behind the idea.

Zetetic

Quote from: manticore on January 04, 2019, 03:31:18 AM
Something about trying to have ... a debate in the EU about transforming itself so it's no longer an enabler of right-wing, xenophobic movements, as it is most especially in Italy right now.
I think saying that would probably raise objections from a few quarters about whether the withdrawal was really in good faith, alas.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes - fanciful to say the least

Mind you, I take the recent LOOK- MIGRANTS and LOOK - UNIONS stuff to be preparing for something

Zetetic

No deal due to Bad Labour, Austerity 2.0, Corbyn dies in struggle with villagers attempting to take him in to custody.

biggytitbo

Quote from: manticore on January 04, 2019, 03:31:18 AM
Something about trying to have a democratic debate in Britain about what kind of political system and economy it wants to have, and a debate in the EU about transforming itself so it's no longer an enabler of right-wing, xenophobic movements, as it is most especially in Italy right now.

Maybe this will change once were past the current state of brexit delirium, but the remain side currently seem even less willing to have any kind of debate about the structural and democratic problems of the EU that leave do, its all either cultural - missing the fact that leave voters have zero cultural attachment to the EU, and economic doom-mongering - missing the fact that the economy doesn't affect everyone in the same way. During the referendum only leave really even bothered making the debate about how we are run, and that left a lot to be desired mainly due to the people doing it, remain were stuck in some rarified echo chamber banging on about cultural benefits that only applied to themselves or project fear.

I'd hope of we had a second referendum Corbyn's wing of the labour party, presuming it doesn't go hide under some coats, could be more vocal about the democratic and constitutional issues with the EU, in a way that Tony Benn would have done if he was alive or indeed the way the left of the party did in 1975.

Virgo76

"its all either cultural - missing the fact that leave voters have zero cultural attachment to the EU, and economic doom-mongering - missing the fact that the economy doesn't affect everyone in the same way. During the referendum only leave really even bothered making the debate about how we are run, and that left a lot to be desired mainly due to the people doing it, remain were stuck in some rarified echo chamber banging on about cultural benefits that only applied to themselves or project fear."

Who is going to benefit economically from this? Anyone?

"missing the fact that leave voters have zero cultural attachment to the EU,"
That's why they're Leave voters, I guess.

I think we've moved beyond Remain VS Leave debates haven't we? The current problems aren't being caused by the Remain camp, after all. Quite the opposite.

"I'd hope of we had a second referendum Corbyn's wing of the labour party, presuming it doesn't go hide under some coats, could be more vocal about the democratic and constitutional issues with the EU, in a way that Tony Benn would have done if he was alive or indeed the way the left of the party did in 1975."
Good point.

Sebastian Cobb

Apart from poorer areas benefit more from EU funding and grants simply because our own cunty government can't be trusted to look after people who have the gall to live outside Greater London.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 04, 2019, 08:43:23 AM
Apart from poorer areas benefit more from EU funding and grants simply because our own cunty government can't be trusted to look after people who have the gall to live outside Greater London.

Such ungrateful bastards, not bowing down at the bountiful riches the EU gods have kindly showered upon them.

Sebastian Cobb

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 04, 2019, 08:15:35 AM

Maybe this will change once were past the current state of brexit delirium, but the remain side currently seem even less willing to have any kind of debate about the structural and democratic problems of the EU that leave do, its all either cultural - missing the fact that leave voters have zero cultural attachment to the EU, and economic doom-mongering - missing the fact that the economy doesn't affect everyone in the same way. During the referendum only leave really even bothered making the debate about how we are run, and that left a lot to be desired mainly due to the people doing it, remain were stuck in some rarified echo chamber banging on about cultural benefits that only applied to themselves or project fear.

I'd hope of we had a second referendum Corbyn's wing of the labour party, presuming it doesn't go hide under some coats, could be more vocal about the democratic and constitutional issues with the EU, in a way that Tony Benn would have done if he was alive or indeed the way the left of the party did in 1975.

It's not just cultural darling, some people are actually deeply concerned about how Brexit will completely fuck their lives in a clear and present way.  Meaning they lose everything they've worked for for the whole of their lives.  These are ordinary, poor, people.  People exactly like me.  I realise that to some, little things like that can be waved away with suggestions of cake-dining.  Nevertheless, and I know you find this hard to remember, it is real.  Real peoples' real lives are being fucked hard, homes lost, so's you can build your imaginary pleasure garden*.

Also, please stop invoking Benn.  We are not a cult.  He is not a dead martyr.  He is dead though and what he thought and said about the EU was one person's opinion formed at a different time.  So leave it out mate, there's a good fellow.

*And you're not even planning to build it are you?  You're all planning to sit on your arses in you safe little worlds watching as our lives are bulldozed.  And if it doesn't turn out the way you imagined, you'll just shrug and blame the politicians for doing it wrong.  I hope those bulldozers go rogue and fuck you all.  Sincerely, I do.

hamfist

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 04, 2019, 07:55:48 AM
Yes - fanciful to say the least

Mind you, I take the recent LOOK- MIGRANTS and LOOK - UNIONS stuff to be preparing for something

and LOOK DRONES !

it's all building up to LOOK, UNIONISED MIGRANTS IN DRONES !

Buelligan

My sense of humour must have died of worry.  What is funny about that please?

biggytitbo

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/762222/Policy_paper_on_citizens__rights_in_the_event_of_a_no_deal_Brexit.pdf

QuoteTo remove any ambiguity about their future, the UK Government wants to
reassure EU citizens and their family members living in the UK that they are
welcome to stay in the UK in the unlikely event of a 'no deal' scenario. The
Government is adopting an approach based on the Withdrawal Agreement.
We have been clear: EU citizens are our friends, our neighbours, our
colleagues, and we want them to stay. EU citizens and their family members 1
resident in the UK by 29 March 2019 will be able to stay and carry on with
their lives broadly as now. They will continue to be able to work, study, and
access benefits and services in the UK on the same basis after we exit the EU
as they do now.

It's up to the EU countries, not the UK, to reciprocate. Blame them if they don't.

Buelligan

Absolute bollocks biggy.  The UK* changed the status quo, no one else.  Do not try to blame shift this.

*not Scotland, Northern Ireland or Gibraltar.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: garnish on January 03, 2019, 10:50:44 PM
It was the first story on the news at ten on the day it broke and the restaurant terms and condition thing has been leading story on the hourly BBC news today.

C4 is the place to go for investigative journalism, even though they are a bit too liberal for my liking. (Yoof Announcers etc).

biggytitbo

We don't have unilateral power to make France and Germany do something. Unless you're arguing we can no longer self determine within the UK because of what France or Germany will or won't do?

I imagine they will eventually reciprocate but why havent they made any firm guarantees yet? It's almost as they are using the people of Europe as some kind of bargaining tool to get what they want isn't it?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on January 04, 2019, 08:04:12 AM
No deal due to Bad Labour, Austerity 2.0, Corbyn dies in struggle with villagers attempting to take him in to custody.

Would THEN I be justified to burn down the houses of parliament?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hamfist on January 04, 2019, 09:45:24 AM
and LOOK DRONES !

it's all building up to LOOK, UNIONISED MIGRANTS IN DRONES !

Only funnier if you had said MINiATURE UNIONISED MIGRANTS IN DRONES!

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 04, 2019, 10:01:04 AM
We don't have unilateral power to make France and Germany do something. Unless you're arguing we can no longer self determine within the UK because of what France or Germany will or won't do?

No, I'm saying that the UK can do what it likes and be responsible for it.  If the UK chooses to endanger the lives of over a million of its citizens to keep part of the Conservative Party happy,  to suit cunts like Farage, that's the fault of the UK.  No one else.

BlodwynPig