Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Theresa May still in charge? Brexit Discussion Thread Four

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 03, 2019, 08:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Theresa May still in Cheers?

Yeah she plays Norm
8 (21.1%)
Yes as moral support, bellowing "FUCK HIM UP SAM" at opportune moments
8 (21.1%)
Nah mate of course not; died!
6 (15.8%)
No; her backstage attempt to lez up with Diane Keaton went awry
11 (28.9%)
Mary Celeste
5 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

JamesMcGrory

Quote from: katzenjammer on January 11, 2019, 11:47:34 PM
Thanks for that. I never make it past the first line of any of his posts so wasn't sure what to make of him.

I had said vacancies were closed, but this is so brilliant I could make an exception. Because that's precisely the sort of deeply analytic approach we encourage at Gaping Britain - if you're unsure about something, only ever consider 5% of it, at the most. How else could you possible remain in your thrashing darkness?

This website is a veritable goldmine of closed minded complacency, it's almost perfect.

Would you like to work for Gaping Britain?

gib

i preferred your early work and i disliked it when you broke character on several occasions otherwise i thought it was ok

pigamus

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 11, 2019, 11:07:51 PM
Cycled past Lucas at the bus stop a couple of hours ago.  Lives in an isolated bubble, that woman.

Not sure how the second sentence relates to the first. "I stood three places behind Caroline Lucas in Greggs, and here's my hot take..."

JamesMcGrory

Quote from: gib on January 11, 2019, 11:59:33 PM
i preferred your early work and i disliked it when you broke character on several occasions otherwise i thought it was ok

Lapses into sincerity will be the death of us all. Although, in fairness to myself, because no one deserves it more, there is an overarching element of consistency common to all my contributions, that being factual accuracy, the fruit of my chasmic knowledge of all things EU Referendum. Even the true stuff which I dissociate Gaping Britain from entirely. Good day.

Buelligan

Quote from: pigamus on January 12, 2019, 12:03:22 AM
Not sure how the second sentence relates to the first. "I stood three places behind Caroline Lucas in Greggs, and here's my hot take..."

Because biglet was saying all about how Caroline Lucas is gentrified and right up herself or somesuch bollocks so Sin Agog responds that she isn't because he saw her waiting for a bus and then he did a sarcasm.  Are you American?

Sin Agog

It could just be politicking, but the fact that she keeps so ridiculously visible here and will stop and chat with pretty much anyone feels like the kind of 'anonymous person raised from the crowd' type of Ancient Greek style politician (except female) I wish there were more of.  Or what Buells said.

JamesMcGrory

Quote from: Buelligan on January 12, 2019, 12:09:01 AM
Because biglet was saying all about how Caroline Lucas is gentrified and right up herself or somesuch bollocks so Sin Agog responds that she isn't because he saw her waiting for a bus and then he did a sarcasm.  Are you American?

Are you sure you won't reconsider even a temporary roll at Gaping Britain? Your ability to create five oranges from two apples is deeply impressive. What next? Jacob Rees-Mogg is as much a victim of gravity as a humble shoemaker? Lord Levy uses cutlery? The Countess of Wessex has been known to catch cold? Your grotesque and frankly outlandish hunanisation of our betters is art beyond the unbound.

JamesMcGrory

Talk about education x3.

Until now I evaluated politicians based on what they say, judging them on their policies and attitudes, their embrace or otherwise of macro concerns. I confess, and this isn't easy, but I'd sold myself a pup on expenses.

What really matters isn't a politician's unaccountability, their alienating of voters, or their policies, it's their mode of transport! Ring out bells, rejoice ye.

This obviousky only applies to Caucasian politicians, as informed contributor buttgammon revealed earlier, we must (pre)judge all BAME politicians entirely on their ethnicity. Brilliant!

Harley_Quim

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 11, 2019, 11:45:55 PM
But has the MP who looks most like an elf ever gobbed down a foreskin?

I find it almost impossible not to imagine any of our MP's, regardless of age, sex or race indulging in oral sex. You don't get that kind of power without personal favours. It's a curse...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JamesMcGrory on January 12, 2019, 12:16:09 AM
Are you sure you won't reconsider even a temporary roll at Gaping Britain? Your ability to create five oranges from two apples is deeply impressive. What next? Jacob Rees-Mogg is as much a victim of gravity as a humble shoemaker? Lord Levy uses cutlery? The Countess of Wessex has been known to catch cold? Your grotesque and frankly outlandish hunanisation of our betters is art beyond the unbound.

I may be back in the UK soon. Possibly interested in a meet-up? Pie and Pint at the Three Compasses, Dalston?

JamesMcGrory

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 12, 2019, 12:32:54 AM
I may be back in the UK soon. Possibly interested in a meet-up? Pie and Pint at the Three Compasses, Dalston?

Encouragingly gracious of you to offer. Is it a Wetherspoons? No cease fire in the anti-working class war! I usually order double gammon, but only eat the pineapple. A "pint", you surely mean 568ml? I always insist on it, not to drink, but to extinguish the fire I've made from the in-hostelry reading matter. This hamfisted technique of mocking their illiterate customers is humiliatioty method far too subtle for my enjoyment.

I'll check my windows. Will Caroline Lucas be joining us?

Sin Agog

Quote from: JamesMcGrory on January 12, 2019, 12:44:31 AM
Encouragingly gracious of you to offer. Is it a Wetherspoons? No cease fire in the anti-working class war! I usually order double gammon, but only eat the pineapple. A "pint", you surely mean 568ml? I always insist on it, not to drink, but to extinguish the fire I've made from the in-hostelry reading matter. This hamfisted technique of mocking their illiterate customers is humiliatioty method far too subtle for my enjoyment.

Asking you for the time must be a real adventure.

JamesMcGrory

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 12, 2019, 01:05:37 AM
Asking you for the time must be a real adventure.

My chronological flexibility is legend. When I used a heavily edited clip of Nazi Farage from 2009 to discredit something he'd said in 2016, linear was so dead. I admit to being inspired by the Electoral Commission turning 20 minutes into 2 days, brilliantly impartial. But why ask the time? It's whatever time you want it to be, as words mean whatever you want then to mean. The earlier example was "if", which now denotes certainty. Brilliant!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JamesMcGrory on January 12, 2019, 12:44:31 AM

Finally, someone willing to accept my generous trotter of friendship. No Lucas, but perhaps a Lucan or two. I'll be arriving in my Nissan Leaf.

Mr_Simnock

I'm enjoying this McGrory character, giving me some right lols also especially from the usually easily troll-able nutters too.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 12, 2019, 02:01:08 AM
I'm enjoying this McGrory character, giving me some right lols also especially from the usually easily troll-able nutters too.

It is shit for cunts, so that figures.

Johnny Yesno

biggytitbo

Quote from: mothman on January 11, 2019, 11:05:22 PM
So Biggy can say that Caroline Lucas isn't left wing enough, but that it's completely outrageous for Labour MPs to be saying Jeremy Corbyn is too left wing. In the same paragraph. Irony truly is dead.

Again, that wasn't even the point of the article, if you read it. It's about the crisis of representation and how even politicians on the left all come from the same background, and why that has inevitably led to a certain amount of group think.

biggytitbo

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 12, 2019, 08:14:17 AM

Again, that wasn't even the point of the article, if you read it. It's about the crisis of representation and how even politicians on the left all come from the same background, and why that has inevitably led to a certain amount of group think.

I'm not sure how anyone can call the EU a failure when 48% of Britons (and 60% of Scottish people!) became middle class and wealthy during Britain's membership.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 12, 2019, 08:14:17 AM

You don't like Lucas because she supports workers when they go on strike.

biggytitbo

I'd say how vast swathes of people who consider themselves the left hate someone with actual left wing policies, and how vast swathes of the left are bizarrely attached to the neoliberal and anti democratic EU, is at least partially due to the representation gap. This goes into the problem in some more detail https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2018/jul/decline-working-class-politicians-shifted-labour-towards-right-wing-policy

QuoteWhen the Labour Party first achieved electoral success in the 1920s, more than 70% of its MPs were drawn from working-class backgrounds. This has declined drastically from the mid- 80s and today just 8% of Labour MPs are working-class.

Buelligan

Yes, it's a shame we can recruit on the basis of pure bloodlines or inheritance, it's the modern world, they just let anyone in.

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 12, 2019, 08:27:31 AM
I'd say how vast swathes of people who consider themselves the left hate someone with actual left wing policies, and how vast swathes of the left are bizarrely attached to the neoliberal and anti democratic EU, is at least partially due to the representation gap. This goes into the problem in some more detail https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2018/jul/decline-working-class-politicians-shifted-labour-towards-right-wing-policy

The Labour Party was built by trade unions, you know, the ones you think should shut up and grow up and never take industrial action. The ones the US corporations you love so would see an end to. Stop fucking pretending.

biggytitbo

As long as they have been to oxbridge or ended up in politics straight from university via think tanks and policy units.

I mean, look how many politicians took literally the same course at the same university, it's absolutely mind boggling - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Oxford_people_with_PPE_degrees

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Howj Begg on January 11, 2019, 08:31:36 PM
It's been said many times, but jesus fuck you are such an idiot and if the left was made of up of yous it would have alienated everyone by now.

Lucas has more progressive positions than JC in a number of diverse areas.

msm, mate. mssmsmsms. Invalid.

She's also spent a lot of her time lazily joining in with the fake smear campaigns, such as anti semitism. I take it you're aware of this as you're clearly such a fan of hers.