Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:06:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dry January [split topic]

Started by Ferris, January 02, 2019, 04:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 31, 2018, 03:57:06 AM
Ok all done. Here's the epilogue.

I have hockey tickets tomorrow, and I'm genuinely not arsed about drinking at all. At all. That's barmy. If you told me I'd be on the fence about beers (at a hockey game of all places) after a period of no booze, I'd have thought you were mad.

I really want to keep this going. I'm sleeping well, lost a few lbs, and I have a ton more energy. And I hate healthy fuckers who bang on about feeling great so it's an absolute revelation that they might on to something. Very positive experience all round and definitely changed my attitude to booze, will be a lot more abstemious in future (I hope).

See you all January 2019.

Day 1 done. Anyone else?

Hard mode this year: still got a rake of beers in the fridge leftover from NYE (Rodenbach Grand Cru and some Leffe Blonde), and a bottle of Moët.

Nowhere Man

Beagle 2

Yeah, I'm giving it a go. Feel absolutely terrible from overindulgence that I didn't want in the first place but was egged on to participate in as usual. Just don't like Christmas for that reason now. Booze, cakes, chocolate, cheese, meat, my wife spent hundreds of pounds on them all and I felt obliged to consume them. I feel like that was more of a chore than abstinence is going to be, but then I've never gone more than a couple of weeks without the drink in 20 years, so we'll see.

shiftwork2

Yep.  I think this my fourth January although it's been a couple of years since the last one.  The phrase 'dry January' has become quite useful.  There used to be a charity connotation that I had never subscribed to and that has pretty much gone.  Now it just seems to be a two-word shorthand for 'abstaining and not particularly interested in talking about it, cheers'.

Looking forward to improved sleep and that takes me around a week or so.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Not worth putting up a separate " Lots Of Booze For January " thread for, but seeing as how my Chrimbo hols only started on December 29th, and  I don't go back to work until January 9th, it seems highly likely I'll be getting pissed up heavily for at least the first 9 days of this month. It's fucking Moscow in the middle of fucking winter- what the fuck else are you going to do ?
Remember when Big Jack McBastard used to do those threads about his month-ling Baccha Alain excess ?  That's how my tablet rendered it, That's now I'll keep it. Those threads were always a good read.

jobotic

Not dry but dryish. Got a couple of things on this month i'll want to have a drink at but not until later in the month. Trying to reduce my pop intake each yer. I had three more dry weeks in 2018 than in 2017 and will try and get it lower this year.

I drank a lot over Christmas and although I only got properly pissed once I felt like I'd poisoned myself the next day, really horrible.

Ham Bap

Doing 'Dry January' this year again.
In fact will see how it goes but my intentions are to cut way back on booze this year.
I was off it more than on it in 2018 and went back to drinking a bit the past 6 weeks because of Christmas. I can't say I enjoyed it overall, it mostly left me exhausted and wanting my bed.
So it's not any fun anymore (40 next year) so what's the point.

Intending my next pint of beer to be on Christmas Eve.

oooft

Look at all you weaklings. "Oh, I'm stopping drinking, I really mean it this time" PATHETIC!! If drinking makes you act like a Fanny and is pitting years on your body.. be a strong person and say goodbye to it FOREVER-NOW-TODAY-THIS MINUTE- Not, "oh I'll wait until there's no more in the house" JUST DO IT NOW for christ sake. Oh and Happy New Year btw...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

January is a bleak stretch, it says something about the human psyche that people decide to commit to gruelling detoxes, gym regimes and arbitrary abstinence from meat and alcohol just when we should be trying to keep our spirits up.

What more pain can we load on this month? Alienate your familanuary? Redundanuary? Homiciduary?

Btw best of luck to those who are doing it but you are mad cunts

thugler

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 02, 2019, 10:35:07 AM
January is a bleak stretch, it says something about the human psyche that people decide to commit to gruelling detoxes, gym regimes and arbitrary abstinence from meat and alcohol just when we should be trying to keep our spirits up.

What more pain can we load on this month? Alienate your familanuary? Redundanuary? Homiciduary?

Btw best of luck to those who are doing it but you are mad cunts

All the boozing really doesn't keep my spirits up though. It results in inevitable low mental states for a couple of days each time at least. I'm looking forward to not feeling like cack every Monday morning at the very least.

NoSleep

Going for a brisk walk every day is guaranteed to keep your spirits up.

jobotic

NoSleep

grassbath

I'm not abstaining totally but will be completely vetoing drinking in the house. Given that there are no nights out planned for the month, that will put paid to weekday evening drinking and solitary drinking and at the very least significantly reduce my casual intake. On top of that I'm going to go for a swim once a week.

Chollis

Quote from: jobotic on January 02, 2019, 10:54:53 AM
Depends where you walk.

Through the valley of the shadow of death is lovely this time of year

Golden E. Pump

Not drinking until 24th, which is my birthday.

Am aiming to go the gym at least three or four times a week this month, and have also deactivated my Facebook. I'm going full detox.

jobotic

Going for a run tonight, you see if i don't.

Buelligan

Quote from: Chollis on January 02, 2019, 11:37:47 AM
Through the valley of the shadow of death is lovely this time of year

You may laugh but I see the valley, which is part of my long walk to and from work, as exactly that. 

It's deserted, utterly.  Has a pitiful great stone ruined house at the halfway point, standing in a cracked courtyard amongst ancient half-dead fruit trees and a (usually) dry river bed.  The last shutters bang in the slightest breeze.

The mountains surround it in complete silence, unbearably hot and still in summer with a redness to the dark, icily cold in winter and sliced by knives of frozen wind.  But it is astoundingly beautiful, even when you're so tired you think you're just going to fall right down and melt into the ground.  Sometimes I just stand and stare up at the beauty.

I had a small glass of Irish whiskey NYE, I expect I'll have another one next year.  I like waking up and not feeling grey and full of sorrow.

Replies From View

28th December marked a full year off the booze for me so far, which means I've just had my first entirely alcohol-free Christmas.

And it was good.  I don't miss the alcohol anymore - in fact the thought of drinking it makes me feel a bit heavy and sick - and throughout the year I have already had lots of social occasions where apart from sitting around and talking, booze was the only thing going on around me.  You just get used to that, and despite what you might expect nobody else really cares if you want to only drink water or lemon and ginger tea all evening.

My mum hasn't drunk anything for years, so for most of the Christmas break my dad was the only one drinking (my older brother and his family visited on Boxing Day, so my dad wasn't alone drinking then).  I like to think this has helped him have a relatively low-alcohol Christmas, as I want him to cut down more generally.

Anyway, good luck with the dry January, but try to avoid compensating for it in February by having 80 units in the first week (I've been there).  That's the danger of only seeing it as an arbitrary month rather than a long term plan.

TIAL

Not following the rules in the strictest sense but I am committed to stop drinking on nights before work, as a starter for 10. I know it might sound like nothing to some but my usual routine is basically every night, so cutting out 5/7 nights will make a massive difference.

The list of negatives has been stacking up recently, especially with the hangovers getting worse and not having much money left at the end of the month. All this whilst the solitary positive point remains 'it makes the evenings a bit more fun'.

So I will be getting used to being at a constant state of quiet content rather than the giddy highs and crushing lows that come with the booze. We'll see where it goes from there.

Best of luck to you all.

Ferris

Day 2, still no problem.

Getting very into fizzy water with mio (Canadian squash). Mmmm, green!

jobotic

Went for a run. Mt advice - don't go for a run if you haven't been for six weeks and you still have a cold and chest infection, albeit at the tail end of it. Legs were alright but couldn't breathe.

Still, I wasn't drinking and smoking.

Captain Crunch

Ferris

Quote from: Captain Crunch on January 03, 2019, 02:41:19 PM
Not sure if this should go here or, not?

https://www.tryanuary.com/events/

At least one event involves going to Stirchley, so I don't think so.

Day 3. Still no worries.

Norton Canes

One reason I would recommend Dry January - or any 4-week period of abstinence - for beer connoisseurs is that when you do have your first drink, it's like you're tasting beer again for the first time. The flavour, the aroma, even the texture of it are just super intensified. Worth missing out a month's worth of drink for. Well, almost.

Buelligan

Cigs are the opposite.  It's one of the great things about quitting, once you've given up for a while (about ten days I reckon, maybe fewer) the taste of cigs goes poor and you have to work your way back in.  So, once you've quit for a bit, if you fancy one, you have the added restistance-thingy of knowing it will taste like shit even if you do.  Which is nice.

jobotic

Running is going well. Ran 2.5km and then trod on a plastic bottle some cunt had chucked on the pavement, went flying, turned my ankle and fucked my knee and just managed to pull myself out of the road and onto the pavement before getting run over.

Nice long hobble home and ankle that looks it belongs to much a larger man. Now I really want a fucking drink. But I won't. I'm an athlete after all.

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on January 04, 2019, 10:41:42 PM
Running is going well. Ran 2.5km and then trod on a plastic bottle some cunt had chucked on the pavement, went flying, turned my ankle and fucked my knee and just managed to pull myself out of the road and onto the pavement before getting run over.

Nice long hobble home and ankle that looks it belongs to much a larger man. Now I really want a fucking drink. But I won't. I'm an athlete after all.

Good man! Keep it up.

Day 4 no booze, I find I'm doing even more cooking than usual to keep me busy in the evenings.

Maurice Yeatman

♫ Bor-ing bor-ing bas-tuds...

Just kidding.  🙏