Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:07:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dry January [split topic]

Started by Ferris, January 02, 2019, 04:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

The only times I've craved a drink so far are when I'm cooking, which is an indication of what a middle of the road middle class twat I am these days.

Off out for a posh meal tomorrow and I'm getting pressurised to drink. Why do people care? Personally it annoys me far more when people have a drink or two then stop and go onto pop or tea than if they don't bother at all. Just because I can't do it I guess, I feel like I've been conned into getting drunk.

jobotic

Glad I didn't have a drink to numb the pain. Ankle hurts like a bastard but no headache! What a winner I am.

TIAL

Very nice to wake up on a Saturday morning without feeling groggy, with the whole weekend ahead of me. Lots of potential!
I was going to allow myself weekends but didn't have anything last night. Will try and remember how much better the mornings are when the inevitable thirst comes at 6-8pm.

TIAL

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 05, 2019, 09:03:06 AM
The only times I've craved a drink so far are when I'm cooking, which is an indication of what a middle of the road middle class twat I am these days.

Yeah, that's something I need to work on too. Nothing I liked better than sticking on a podcast and cooking a meal, glass of something in hand. At the moment I'm sticking to quick things you can shove in the oven and forget about, but that will need to change at some point.

Janie Jones

Off out for a posh meal tomorrow and I'm getting pressurised to drink.

That's really unacceptable, it's just rude. Why is someone's choice of whether or what they drink with their meal any more my business than what they choose for their starter? Tell them to fuck off.

I'm going to a Dry January house for dinner tomorrow, they said we can bring booze if we want but I wouldn't feel comfortable quaffing nice wine in front of them in their own home while they're abstaining. It'll do me no harm to have an alcohol-free Sunday for once. I aim for 3 or 4 alcohol free days a week, this works for me better than a month off which I could only achieve by not going out.

Replies From View

Off out for a posh meal tomorrow and I'm getting pressurised to drink. Why do people care? Personally it annoys me far more when people have a drink or two then stop and go onto pop or tea than if they don't bother at all. Just because I can't do it I guess, I feel like I've been conned into getting drunk.

They don't actually care.  Defy them!  But I would avoid the sugary drinks if I were you, because they'll make you feel sluggish after a while which isn't the best way to communicate that you are able to have a great time without the booze.  If you make the mistake of having, say, three ginger beers in 90 minutes (or whatever rate you would normally be consuming alcoholic beverages), that is an absolute arseboat load of sugar.  And it's not even that nice, you're only doing it in order to be drinking something along with everyone else.

Honestly they don't give a shit whether you have a drink in your hand or not, they're probably just vaguely hoping you'll still buy a round.

Ferris

Quote from: TIAL on January 05, 2019, 10:25:51 AM
Yeah, that's something I need to work on too. Nothing I liked better than sticking on a podcast and cooking a meal, glass of something in hand.

This is my absolute favourite way to spend time also. Good on you! I've been doing a shitload of baking.

Re: other people pressuring you - I've found the only person who pressured me was a Legend Gary type I know who just wants an enabler so he can go to the pub at lunch time. I said no, and after a few times he got the message.

Occasionally people are sheepish that you are abstaining and they are not, so they apply a bit of jokey pressure until you crack and they feel less bad about themselves ("I'm not staying sober, but neither is that person so it's ok"). Like crabs in a bucket.

Resist!

kittens

dry january? try wet all year, and i'm not talking about my pussy - i'm actually mainly referring to my consumption of alcohol.

Beagle 2

I actually like non-alcoholic beer, I would rather drink that than coke. I drink a few during the week, especially in the summer. But I've never ordered one in a pub or restaurant, even when I didn't really want a drink, because... because... why? Because people will think I'm a big wimp? This is the kind of mindset I need to get out of.

I can see why people want me to drink tomorrow as we have a babysitter and will be out at night for the third time in two years, but I'm just not fucking going to as I'll be dropping close to a hundred quid on food. Can I not look forward just to that??

Ferris

Yeah don't bother with the booze if you don't fancy it.

Day 5, load more energy and able to get loads more done. Also sleeping much better. Waheyyyy

Mr_Simnock

I am doing this at the moment although it will come to an end once I go on a break to center parks at the end of the month

TIAL

Had a few last night as planned, it was fine but I do feel the effects this morning. Funny how quickly the tolerance can go!
I've been designating some games/tv shows for non-drinking nights only so it was actually a bit boring just watching the usual Saturday night rubbish on live TV.

Genuinely keen to get back to not drinking tonight. I'm starting to realise I like it more than I imagined.

chrispmartha

I was planning on not drinking in January but caved in last night and drank wine, not too much though so I suppose that's not too bad. I've done 1or2 months off occasionally over the years and I have felt like a different person, full of energy and after a week ir so I actually sleep properly, I can't understand why I don't just pack it in - I likeceine and Brandy too much I suppose

Bazooka

I thought dry January was where you only eat stale scones and crackers for a month, to increase flower intake to unprecedented levels.

Ferris

Quote from: Bazooka on January 06, 2019, 12:03:07 PM
I thought dry January was where you only eat stale scones and crackers for a month, to increase flower intake to unprecedented levels.

No you just eat raisins and bresaola for 31 days, and no drinking of any fluids whatsoever.

Buelligan

Quote from: Bazooka on January 06, 2019, 12:03:07 PM

Bouquets, shirley.

Beagle 2

Well, tonight I have drunked a rosemary drink. A drink made of rosemary. And a lemonade that cost £7. I would have definitely enjoyed it all more had I drank a couple of wines made of wine. That's alright though, it's interesting to see where alcohol would actually have added value. Once in an average week so far, it seems.

wooders1978

Anyone given alchohol free lagers a go?
I'm going out with a mate next week for a few - I'm abstaining but don't fancy nursing a lemonade al night - are they generally available in pubs and half (and I will definitely accept half) decent?

Janie Jones

Becks Blue is pretty ubiquitous, it's palatable enough and it gives you the option to chug from a bottle, if that's how you normally like to drink.

We drank pink lemonade and tea at the Dry January house yesterday and I honestly didn't give alcohol a thought until it was time to go and I climbed happily into my warm car instead of fighting Sunday night engineering works on National Rail replacement buses as I'd usually have to do.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 07, 2019, 11:18:38 PM
I'm going out with a mate next week for a few - I'm abstaining but don't fancy nursing a lemonade al night - are they generally available in pubs and half (and I will definitely accept half) decent?

In my opinion: Unsatisfying flavour and thin, watery at best. Outright ghastly at worst (Kaliber), would rather have soft drinks.

If you must, then I recommend Bernard's amber lager or low alcohol wheatbeers that still have a passing resemblance to beer. The libatory equivalent of screaming into the void.

The last one I had was Cobra Zero, which was also the sum total of The Fucking Point of having it.

wooders1978

Ahh - thanks for the replies both - interesting you bring up cobra zero as we will probably go for curry and that was gonna be my weapon of choice - sounds like I'll be on the lime and sodas then

Beagle 2

Yeah, non-alky Cobra is fucking horrible. I really like Becks Blue and Nanny State for a lager and ale substitute respectively. The rest, hmm. I bought some Budweiser Prohibition yesterday and it's also disgusting. I don't know what I expected, Budweiser itself tastes like gone off butter.

Paul Calf

Yeah, but Cobra with alcohol is fucking horrible. There's only one mass-market beer between Istanbul and Hanoi that's worth drinking, and that's Beer Lao.

Plus, I think Cobra is brewed under licence.

Sebastian Cobb

Kingfisher is OK. Better than cobra anyway.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I thought that for a bit then realised it was just the novelty of having something other than Cobra. See also: Lal Toofan. They're all a bit crap. Hence the "is OK", a description that has never been used to describe a genuinely enjoyable beer. Trad British Indian restaurants are falling way behind on the standard of their starters and beer options but don't seem the remotest bit concerned about how street food is stomping on them.

Thay said, really hoppy IPA and spicy food is fucking horrible. The last thing you need with a curry is a load of really bitter hops, it ends up throwing both out of kilter. Crisp pilsner, wit or real ale should work nice though.

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 07, 2019, 11:18:38 PM

None of them are actually good, but the best one I've tried is the Erdinger which big supermarkets usually sell. Don't see that too often in pubs though.

Becks Blue is horrendous and both the Brewdog ones I've tried (Nanny State and some fruity abomination) were also awful.

Had an ice cold Heineken 0% the other day which wasn't that bad, but I may be being generous because it was just nice drinking something other than fizzy pop.

Anyone tried the 0.5% Ghost Ship or the Big Drop Stout?

Ferris

I feel like the 0% stuff would be worse because it would almost be like drinking, but you wouldn't be. It would be like ticking an itch rather than scratching it.

finnquark

Quote from: Peter P. Parrot on January 08, 2019, 09:32:20 PM
Anyone tried the 0.5% Ghost Ship or the Big Drop Stout?

I've had the ghost ship. S'alright, quite liked it.

seepage

I don't mind Bavaria original 0% and the wit (recommended in the Beers thread). Becks Blue is teetering on the brink.

agree Budweiser Prohibition is horrible, and Nanny State is among the 10 worst things I've ever put in my mouth.   

Bazooka

Beer free beer? What next, watermelons without melon or water?