Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dry January [split topic]

Started by Ferris, January 02, 2019, 04:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 05, 2019, 09:03:06 AM
The only times I've craved a drink so far are when I'm cooking, which is an indication of what a middle of the road middle class twat I am these days.

I've been drinking alcohol free red wine on these occasions. Goes down well with the meal as well. Of the ones I've tried I'd rate Fre (sold in Waitrose around here) the best of the bunch. For some reason the most ubiquitous one is Eisberg, which I don't find much cop. Value for money is Sainsbury's own brand.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 08, 2019, 07:33:41 AM
In my opinion: Unsatisfying flavour and thin, watery at best. Outright ghastly at worst (Kaliber), would rather have soft drinks.

If you must, then I recommend Bernard's amber lager or low alcohol wheatbeers that still have a passing resemblance to beer. The libatory equivalent of screaming into the void.

The last one I had was Cobra Zero, which was also the sum total of The Fucking Point of having it.

all to do with how they're brewed, I think, which is also why the wheat beers and Erdinger work, as they have a higher concentration of mid-ranged oligosaccharrides to fake the mouth feel of a properly brewed beer.

I think an ice cold low alcohol lager may trick the senses long enough as well.

not yet put it to the test but reckon adding something like horlicks might do the trick with the low alcohol ales. .

boki

Quote from: A Hat Like That on January 09, 2019, 01:41:31 PMI think an ice cold low alcohol lager may trick the senses long enough as well.

Nah, you can always tell (which is just one reason why that bizarrely-popular incest joke needs to move house to a fire).  It's got that annoyingly cloying, weird sweetness to it.

Quotenot yet put it to the test but reckon adding something like horlicks might do the trick with the low alcohol ales. .

I think that would just be more of the same.  The Horlicks-y taste is what you're left with after the booze is gone.

seepage

got an email from Hedonism advertising 'Seedlip' 0.1% gin substitute. I'm not a gin & tonic fan but it's £22.90 a bottle if anyone wants to risk trying it

Cuellar

Listened to a programme on radio 4 about non-alcoholic brewing/distilling and they spoke to the Seedlip person. He sounded like a wank and I cannot fathom spending so much on what is, at heart, a cordial.

Utter madness.

edit: Although he was quite candid about the cost being entirely marketing driven and exorbitant: they price it up so people think it's an experience on par with having a g&t.

Ferris

Mrs Ferris is pregnant so I spent $100 on both varieties of seedlip. They're a bit daft, but she has got through the bottles in the 9 months so they're doing something right.

I had a faux g&t out of interest and it is not a patch on real booze, but you have to pretend it is because she can't have a real g&t so pointing out that it is shit would be cruel.

Cuellar

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Dex Sawash

greencalx

Quote from: Peter P. Parrot on January 08, 2019, 09:32:20 PM
Anyone tried the 0.5% Ghost Ship or the Big Drop Stout?

Is Ghost Ship the Adnams one? One of those came in my beer advent calendar (yes, I know; it was a gift), and I found it quite pleasant to drink. Looked like beer, smelled like beer, nearly tasted like beer, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as a real beer. It would be interesting to do a blind test to see how much pure psychology was at play.

shiftwork2

The Ghost Ship effort is news to me, anyone seen it in supermarkets?  Tried the spicy seedlip and it's nice and all. Just beware that the best-before date means business, the flavour fades quickly.  Best neck it.

TIAL

Tonic water and ice, dash of either angostura bitters or lime juice is doing it for me.

I'm also finding that I'm buying much less food, and actually using all of what I already have - getting to work on the freezer too. I never like going to the supermarket till with just a bottle of vodka and some mixers, so I guess I subconsciously added more to the basket to make it seem more normal. All pretty ridiculous (not to mention expensive) when you think about it.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 09, 2019, 06:15:10 PM
The Ghost Ship effort is news to me, anyone seen it in supermarkets?  Tried the spicy seedlip and it's nice and all. Just beware that the best-before date means business, the flavour fades quickly.  Best neck it.

Yes, I've bought it in Tesco a couple of times. Not too bad as they go. They also do an Erdinger which is labeled as a 'refreshing isotonic drink'. Still to try that. As others have mentioned, the Heineken isn't as cloying as most of the others.

Ferris

Drinking a 0% Erdinger. It's... not great. Still got 5 left so I'll plow on.

jobotic

If you knock back pints of alcohol free beer will you get an alcohol free beer gut, same as an alcohol one?

Paul Calf

You might become a non-alcoholic.

Ferris

Round 2: the 0% Heineken is alright!

If I was served it in a shit pub, I'd think the lines needed cleaning and someone had watered down the keg a bit but other than that I'd be fooled.

Still not as good as actual booze though, obvs.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Heineken is cheating a bit though by making the alcohol version fucking shit anyway

Neville Chamberlain

Was going to have a dry January, but last night accidentally consumed precisely the amount of said beer shown below:

thugler

Love that Helles, amazing drop.

I've been enjoying becks blue, seems quite close to the real thing  when ice cold

Golden E. Pump

Eleven days in. Not had a drop, lost half a stone, signed up for a half marathon in May and am being really productive.

Can't wait until I can fall off the wagon spectacularly.

greencalx

Conference dinner with free wine last night so yeah it was good while it lasted.

wooders1978

On the 0.0 Heineken's - not bad!

Ferris

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 11, 2019, 06:40:40 PM
On the 0.0 Heineken's - not bad!

It's alright, like I say if you weren't aware it was non-alcoholic and weren't looking for it you'd probably be fooled.

I'm onto the Grolsch 0% stuff tonight - another one that's not too bad and probably the best so far. It tastes like the Rolling Rock I used to swipe from the fridge and drink in the garden with my friends as a teenager, which is to say it has that authentic chemically taste that warm macro-lagers seem to have, even though it is correctly chilled. My dad is the only person who drinks RR, and I've ever understood why.

Anyway, a not-unpleasant trip down memory lane. 7 on 10.

Ferris

(I know I said I wouldn't bother with non-alcoholic beer, but then I got curious and thought "when will I get the chance to experiment with this again?" so I've really gone for it. I might do a BJCP rating for each one or something if this keeps going. It'll be the Budweiser Prohibition and Becks Blue next on the review slate for me.)

Becks Blue is alright. It has a bit of a chemical taste if you drink too much of it. Is the main goal of these things to not stand out in a social situation?

NoSleep

For me drinking alcohol in company is an essential if everyone else is drinking, too. It's the only way I can tolerate people who have had a few.

wooders1978

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 12, 2019, 08:28:19 AM
Becks Blue is alright. It has a bit of a chemical taste if you drink too much of it. Is the main goal of these things to not stand out in a social situation?

I think it definitely has a placebo affect of kidding yourself on that you're also out having a drink

Sebastian Cobb

I reckon it'd just remind me I could be drinking a proper drink if I wasn't jumping on a bandwagon.

bgmnts

What is it with alcohol? Why can't people just not drink it and spend a shit ton of money on it?