Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:45:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Next episode...

Started by kalowski, January 04, 2019, 10:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Why do they do it? My wife thinks I'm a bit weird about this, but as soon as any series does the "next time on..." preview clips at the end of an episode I run out of the room. I don't want the next episode spoiled. I hate being given even the tiniest clue. It doesn't get me excited for the next episode, it spoils the next episode. Have I said it spoils things? It does. It spoils things.

gib

You're right and your wife is wrong.

kalowski

olliebean

Yeah, they should concentrate on making this week's episode good enough that people will take it on trust that next week's will also be worth watching.

BlodwynPig

"Before the break"... this happened

"Coming up in this week's episode of Murder She Wrote"...you goldfish brained yankees

Lord Mandrake

Mission impossible movies helpfully show you all the key plot points and action scenes during the opening montage. This happens, then this... Ok now here it is.

Moribunderast

Quote from: kalowski on January 04, 2019, 10:15:07 PM
Why do they do it? My wife thinks I'm a bit weird about this, but as soon as any series does the "next time on..." preview clips at the end of an episode I run out of the room. I don't want the next episode spoiled. I hate being given even the tiniest clue. It doesn't get me excited for the next episode, it spoils the next episode. Have I said it spoils things? It does. It spoils things.

I'm the same - but then again I also put headphones on and stare at the floor for 15 minutes in the cinema when the trailers play, so I may be genuinely weird. I just don't see the point in watching something if you already know a bunch of the story beats. I barely even like to know the premise!

Norton Canes

It's not so much the spoilering of the next installment that bothers me about 'Next Time' trailers, as the fact that when the current episode finishes I want to, you know, think about what I've just watched, properly digest it. I don't want to be instantaneously bombarded with what's coming up. I love that feeling, after watching a programme on DVD, of simply contemplating it while the credits roll gracefully and the closing theme plays. If I've enjoyed what I've seen then chances are I'll be watching the next episode. That's the best trailer.

olliebean

BTW, stuff that begins by showing part of the climax then jumps back in time to show the events leading up to it can fuck off as well. Starting something off by showing you there's a good bit coming up later is just a lazy way of dealing with the first 2/3 not being good enough to keep you watching on its own merit.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on January 05, 2019, 06:03:05 PM
BTW, stuff that begins by showing part of the climax then jumps back in time to show the events leading up to it can fuck off as well. Starting something off by showing you there's a good bit coming up later is just a lazy way of dealing with the first 2/3 not being good enough to keep you watching on its own merit.

One of the worst devices. Often destroys any suspense that happens in the interim. Oh the lead character David Mangeroid is in peril on that rhinoceros!!! Ah, but I know he will be safe as we saw that he is in even worse peril later on (underneath a shark).

Kelvin

I totally disagree with the OP. For me, "next time" clips, and trailers in general are all about building your HYPE!! If the next episode has a good teaser, well edited, I'm climbing up the walls waiting for it to air, which for me is as much a part of the experience as actually watching an episode.

kalowski

I think the last series if The Bridge had a cliffhanger of "Is she dead?!!??" The very first clip of the "Next episode..." basically said, "No she isn't."

Emma Raducanu

As one of the last remaining people who still watches Dragon's Den; they're particularly awful with the "next episode" thing. It's edited in a way that makes it look incredibly dramatic and shocking, whereas when viewed in context, it's just someone who doesn't know the pre-tax profit their company made 5 years ago.

BlodwynPig

But at least it has Kelvin climbing the walls with anticipation