Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:52:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lenny Henry's 1997 Wallace and Gromit parody

Started by popcorn, January 05, 2019, 06:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

I've watched this several times and I can't get over it.

This is so well written and shot that it's completely plausible as a real Wallace and Gromit story. It's so authentic it doesn't really qualify as parody. Gromit's dog gags (Pup Fiction!) and bored fingertapping. The shot of the legs walking upstairs. The silhouette against the wallpaper. The eerie lighting. Even the "I set myself off there" line is a completely authentic Wallace line.

It's just a completely perfect imitation... but with ghastly Wallace and Gromit outfits. It has a real "no mouth and I must scream" horror element.

Replies From View

The set and the lighting parody the atmosphere of 'A Grand Day Out' well enough, but the rest is absolutely horrible.

popcorn

Yes it is absolutely horrible to the max.

I am compelled by it.

I keep watching it, Gromit.

Replies From View

All the humour was distinctly unlike Wallace and Gromit humour, too.

Do not like.

can only watch this on mute and it's a genuinely chilling experience

Rizla

That is wrong and bad and frightful. Reminded me of the old softmints ad. Brr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaTRCHbG_IA

biggytitbo

Cuellar

Cuellar

Brundle-Fly

Proving again, heavy prosthetic masks can really kill comedy.

popcorn

I don't really understand what the joke is supposed to be.

notjosh

As OP said, there isn't really an attempt to parody Wallace & Gromit itself. Nor is the plot about dancing trousers something that is amusingly incongruous in the world of Wallace and Gromit. There's not even any need for Lenny Henry to play both roles given that he's basically some eyeholes behind a mask. It's like they came up with the idea of doing Wallace & Gromit as a joke, someone shouted out 'The Right Trousers!', they all had a good laugh, and then they put a great deal of effort and expense into making a bad episode of Wallace & Gromit.

Gregory Torso

Worse than anything I've seen in my nightmares, particularly the Gromit with its lenny henry eyes and twitching antlers. I've really been upset by this.

Avril Lavigne

I'm 2 and a half minutes in but I've paused it 4 or 5 times now as it's genuinely making me feel a bit sick.

Replies From View

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 05, 2019, 09:15:09 PM
Proving again, heavy prosthetic masks can really kill comedy.

The speeded-up sequence with Gromit making the bone thing shows immediately that Lenny Henry and co didn't understand the humour of Wallace and Gromit.  They must have seen the building-the-rocket sequence of 'A Grand Day Out' and interpreted it as that.  That fact is depressing to me.

It's not just the heavy prosthetics that kill the comedy, it's the fact that it is shit to its very core.

Gregory Torso

The thing I find worst about it is how much money and effort was apparently spent on the make-up and costumes and then they did absolutely fuck all with it. Lenny Henry could have done an hilarious black Wallace and Gromit where they say "fuck this white people shit" and do something "cool" like I don't know, skating or wearing their caps backwards.

Beagle 2

The audience sound absolutely stunned. I swear I can hear dry heaving at one point.

Gregory Torso

About 52 seconds in there are several mournful groans, souls of the damned, just after the weird bandsaw sound effect.

popcorn

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 05, 2019, 10:55:50 PM
About 52 seconds in there are several mournful groans, souls of the damned, just after the weird bandsaw sound effect.

Yes, I noticed that too. Like someone going "Oh, God".

popcorn

There are moments of it I do find actually funny, in a sort of shit way. Like the woman's slow, deliberate delivery of "Stop jigging! Can't get em off!"

The bit I find most upsetting, and perhaps strangest, is Wallace saying "Don't leave me with that flaming dog". Like he hates Gromit? Why does he hate Gromit?

popcorn

Quote from: Replies From View on January 05, 2019, 10:43:04 PM
The speeded-up sequence with Gromit making the bone thing shows immediately that Lenny Henry and co didn't understand the humour of Wallace and Gromit.  They must have seen the building-the-rocket sequence of 'A Grand Day Out' and interpreted it as that.  That fact is depressing to me.

Somehow I missed that bit each time I watched it. For some reason I kept watching it just from the middle, perhaps out of fear. You're right in that it's completely not Wallace and Gromit humour. There are also lots of other weird things like Wallace honking his nose.

I maintain, however, that lots of other elements are weirdly and even impressively authentic, to the point that they're redundant as parody. That combined with the utter horror of the costumes is what makes the whole thing so morbidly fascinating to me.

popcorn

Why is Wallace protesting when the woman tries to get his trousers off? Wasn't that the whole point of his operation?

When Gromit sets them dancing, was he trying to save Wallace, or sabotage him?

marquis_de_sad

Imagine being stuck in that Gromit costume, mouthless forever.

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 05, 2019, 08:04:43 PM
can only watch this on mute and it's a genuinely chilling experience

Can't unsee his nose as a screaming mouth now

Brundle-Fly

Or the other way round? An alien from The Outer Limits?

easytarget