Author Topic: Lenny Henry's 1997 Wallace and Gromit parody  (Read 3382 times)

Re: Lenny Henry's 1997 Wallace and Gromit parody
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
I guess it fits in with the British male comedy trope of 'pathetic bloke concocts convoluted way to get off with a lady, but when it comes to crunch time he panics and is reduced to a shrinking violet'. Richie in the 'Digger' episode of Bottom being an archetypal example.

Trope though it is, the Bottom example is a bad one. Richie has instead prematurely ejaculated in his pyjamas and is nervously stalling for time.

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2019, 01:25:19 PM »
Trope though it is, the Bottom example is a bad one. Richie has instead prematurely ejaculated in his pyjamas and is nervously stalling for time.

I dunno, couldn't prematurely ejaculating and nervously stalling for time count as panicking?

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2019, 01:38:03 PM »
Yes, but not panicking for horrible comic-book "err actually I'm so sexually repressed that I really want to escape having sex now that I have it on a plate" reasons. (ie. most Carry On films and some 70s/80s British sitcoms)

Richie gets over-excited and then panics. He does actually go for it in the end.

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
This must be the geographical center, deepest point, and also the town hall, of Uncanny Valley.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2019, 11:37:57 PM »
This must be the geographical center, deepest point, and also the town hall, of Uncanny Valley.

Yes it is so borderline-realistic that I can hardly believe it.

Hank the Rapper

• Oh no, you don't! That trampoline is MINE!
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »
Forgive the delay, had some trouble finding this. One of the lesser, lesser forgotten Viz one-off strips. Good last line, though.

St_Eddie

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2019, 01:44:41 PM »
Got a good chuckle out of that.  Thanks for posting it, Hank the Rapper.

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2019, 02:07:17 PM »
alright yeah i gotta admit that i laughed at the last panel

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 08:14:37 AM »
Just a tiny amount?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f19hF7-nT8g

I was going to post this when I saw the thread title. Best Fast Show sketch ever.

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 08:32:48 AM »
This is a good observation and might explain why I've always loathed things like Family Guy's depiction of, say, Bert and Ernie as alcoholics or whatever they do. Bert and Ernie is already a lovely thing, so what does "parodying" it - or in this case reframing it as nasty - it expose?

I've never seen Family Guy but I've always disliked this sort of thing too. I remember as a kid watching an item on the regional news about someone doing a 'punk' Punch And Judy show and just thinking: "Why would you want to watch something like that?" Because of course Punch And Judy is so bloody nice...

Norton Canes

• The leper heart will see you for what you are
« Reply #70 on: Yesterday at 09:33:56 AM »
Surely "Cracking jizz"..?