Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lenny Henry's 1997 Wallace and Gromit parody

Started by popcorn, January 05, 2019, 06:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 07, 2019, 08:59:01 AMI guess it fits in with the British male comedy trope of 'pathetic bloke concocts convoluted way to get off with a lady, but when it comes to crunch time he panics and is reduced to a shrinking violet'. Richie in the 'Digger' episode of Bottom being an archetypal example.

Trope though it is, the Bottom example is a bad one. Richie has instead prematurely ejaculated in his pyjamas and is nervously stalling for time.

ajsmith2

Quote from: the on January 07, 2019, 01:07:40 PM
Trope though it is, the Bottom example is a bad one. Richie has instead prematurely ejaculated in his pyjamas and is nervously stalling for time.

I dunno, couldn't prematurely ejaculating and nervously stalling for time count as panicking?

the

Yes, but not panicking for horrible comic-book "err actually I'm so sexually repressed that I really want to escape having sex now that I have it on a plate" reasons. (ie. most Carry On films and some 70s/80s British sitcoms)

Richie gets over-excited and then panics. He does actually go for it in the end.

Spiny Norman

This must be the geographical center, deepest point, and also the town hall, of Uncanny Valley.

Replies From View

Quote from: Spiny Norman on January 08, 2019, 10:42:29 PM
This must be the geographical center, deepest point, and also the town hall, of Uncanny Valley.

Yes it is so borderline-realistic that I can hardly believe it.

Hank the Rapper

Forgive the delay, had some trouble finding this. One of the lesser, lesser forgotten Viz one-off strips. Good last line, though.

St_Eddie

Got a good chuckle out of that.  Thanks for posting it, Hank the Rapper.

alright yeah i gotta admit that i laughed at the last panel

Jockice

Jockice

Quote from: popcorn on January 06, 2019, 03:23:28 PM
This is a good observation and might explain why I've always loathed things like Family Guy's depiction of, say, Bert and Ernie as alcoholics or whatever they do. Bert and Ernie is already a lovely thing, so what does "parodying" it - or in this case reframing it as nasty - it expose?

I've never seen Family Guy but I've always disliked this sort of thing too. I remember as a kid watching an item on the regional news about someone doing a 'punk' Punch And Judy show and just thinking: "Why would you want to watch something like that?" Because of course Punch And Judy is so bloody nice...

Norton Canes

Alberon

Late to the thread I've just watched the Lenny Henry sketch.

I liked it, a very bold storyline for a mainstream entertainment show even today. A submissive locked in a gimp dog suit sabotaging his Dom master's attempt to end their toxic relationship.

St_Eddie

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 20, 2019, 03:11:04 AM

Security cam footage of Gromit taking a shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMfb1je5zqE
I was going to post that. Well I would've done if I remembered it was off friday Night Armistice.

They must've got that from Aardman,  right? It's too perfect

the

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 20, 2019, 02:34:05 PMI was going to post that. Well I would've done if I remembered it was off friday Night Armistice.

They must've got that from Aardman,  right? It's too perfect

I very much doubt it, though it is fantastically done. I was wondering who might have done it (I thought maybe Triffic Films, though that said I can't recall them doing anything non-2D).

idunnosomename

Also the Lenny Henry one reminds me when all the big 90s comedians would do big "parodies" of the same things on their shows. Awful parodies of things like Tellytubbies too. Which again, is cloying self promotion from the Big British Castle.

I like Henry's body acting in it, but they never really point out the absurdity of anything, except perhaps a man living with his dog. And yes, it well points out the difference between parody, spoof and pastiche. A parody makes fun of the source material. A spoof is silly with the source material. This is a pastiche, because about all it does is   imitate the source material.

Ringside

Quote from: Rizla on January 05, 2019, 08:29:00 PM
That is wrong and bad and frightful. Reminded me of the old softmints ad. Brr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaTRCHbG_IA

That advert used to scare me as a kid. I remember telling me mom, so.

Rocket Surgery

Replies From View

I always liked the Mr Soft advert too. 

The advert along the same lines that freaked me out was the family eating Skips and going all melty, their heads suddenly flopping back and forth.  "Tenderise tenderise!"

ajsmith2

Quote from: Replies From View on January 23, 2019, 08:17:11 AM
I always liked the Mr Soft advert too. 

The advert along the same lines that freaked me out was the family eating Skips and going all melty, their heads suddenly flopping back and forth.  "Tenderise tenderise!"

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvnDu-BhikY

Was so glad when this was finally uploaded to youtube. Whaddya say Crispo?

Replies From View

Oh yeah, liquidise, not tenderise.

What I think freaked me out was the way Skips (and their body/mind warping abilities) were being used to distract from the reality of the house being smashed up and the husband obviously having really severe emotional/behavioural issues that weren't explored beyond that.

Also Skips didn't even fucking melt.  Absolute scam.

gib

On the one hand they speak with American accents, on the other hand they use the word 'crisp' as a noun. Absolutely baffling!

Replies From View

Quote from: gib on January 23, 2019, 10:46:37 AM
On the one hand they speak with American accents, on the other hand they use the word 'crisp' as a noun. Absolutely baffling!

Chris Barrie is one of those voice artists who could do a range of accents but you could always hear his voice there somehow.  I think it's called "not being as good as everyone thinks".