Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:37:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Imagine no Self-Censorship

Started by MortSahlFan, January 05, 2019, 09:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

from stand-up comedians.. Or at least less of it. I think many are just trying to "make it" and play it safe. Political Correctness is an easy way out, instead of facing the social ills, they go after those who create. "Art" should be left alone.

Of course, then you have racist jackasses who play the other side of the market, they might not even be racists, who knows. It's sparse out there, so it doesn't take much talent to get a large audience.

What social ills are they self-censoring?

MortSahlFan

Well, part of the self-censorship is that we'll never hear/know what people really think. Not unless it's "safe". And even then, "I'd like to apologize" (even that's probably insincere)... I hear more about offensive words than I hear of offensive actions of authority (war, for example).

ProvanFan

Imagine there's no scruples, it isn't hard to do

Large Noise

Nobody wants to hear what comedians really think. That's the last fucking thing you want from a comedian.

chveik

Quote from: Large Noise on January 06, 2019, 04:57:56 AM
Nobody wants to hear what comedians really think. That's the last fucking thing you want from a comedian.

indeed.
also, I don't think stand up comedy has much to do with 'Art'.

MortSahlFan

I don't mean "What is my favorite comedian's opinion on ---"

Everyone who talks into a microphone has a "message" - it doesn't have to be political.

CaledonianGonzo

Which comedians, specifically, are reigning themselves in?  And why would their acts be better if they suddenly started punching down, attacking minorities and bandying around dated racist words?

Shit Good Nose

Glebe

[tag]Original Lennon lyrics were "clumsy."[/tag]

jobotic

Twed

Quote from: Glebe on January 06, 2019, 04:30:46 PM
[tag]I wonder if you fucking can, Cunt[/tag]

non capisco

Quote from: Glebe on January 06, 2019, 04:30:46 PM

The ones he settled on were and all. I hate that bloody song.

Utter Shit

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 06, 2019, 04:03:04 PM
Which comedians, specifically, are reigning themselves in?  And why would their acts be better if they suddenly started punching down, attacking minorities and bandying around dated racist words?

This is the sub-text I'm picking up too. I'm not sure that there necessarily are many comedians who are censoring shitty opinions they hold, nor does it seem likely that they would be better comedians if they stopped doing so. The implication of MortSahlFan's post is that a lot of comedians are cunts who choose not to air their cunt opinions because they aren't profitable. Maybe they just aren't cunts?

With respect, this is not the first time where you've subtly supported or implied support for racist comedy...which is shit in itself IMO, but framing it as some kind of cowardly move NOT to be racist(/sexist/whatever offensive comedy you don't think there is enough of...nah mate.

That's good for Ben Elton.  We weren't getting it from him in the 80s...

St_Eddie

Look above.  Just up there.  Not that far.  A little lower and slightly to the left.  See it now?

TADA!

thenoise

Quote from: non capisco on January 06, 2019, 05:13:48 PM
The ones he settled on were and all. I hate that bloody song.

Same, although 'woman is the n***** of the world' manages to be even more smug, self-righteous and offensive (but not in the ooo edgy way intended).

St_Eddie

Quote from: thenoise on January 07, 2019, 12:33:24 AM
...'woman is the n***** of the world'...

Bit unnecessary to censor that word, mate.  If you want to say nougat, then just say it.

Utter Shit

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 07, 2019, 01:01:03 AM
Bit unnecessary to censor that word, mate.  If you want to say nougat, then just say it.

It was 'nagger.'  Lennon was blunt and told it like it was.

MortSahlFan

I just don't want 20 blue check marks on Twitter deciding what people can or cannot even have the chance to love (or hate) something. I'll take anything, that's how desperate I am for great comedy. I'm in my 30s, and my username is a man in his 90s..

And for the guy who mentioned "racist like um something" can go fuck yourself. You think you are supposed to say that, according to your fakebook.

Replies From View

Quote from: MortSahlFan on January 09, 2019, 08:29:16 PM
I just don't want 20 blue check marks on Twitter deciding what people can or cannot even have the chance to love (or hate) something.

You can always leave Twitter if that is your gripe.  Train your brain to not bother with it.  I've never even been on Twitter and it's fine.

And for the guy who mentioned "racist like um something" can go fuck yourself. You think you are supposed to say that, according to your fakebook.

Stalking people on facebook Mr SahlFan?

chveik

I just don't want 20 blue check marks on Twitter deciding what people can or cannot even have the chance to love (or hate) something. I'll take anything, that's how desperate I am for great comedy. I'm in my 30s, and my username is a man in his 90s..

if you're looking for great comedy, you just have to ask for some recommendations in this subforum.

Replies From View

Quote from: chveik on January 09, 2019, 08:39:47 PM
if you're looking for great comedy, you just have to ask for some recommendations in this subforum.

Seems he doesn't like recommendations.  Wants to seal himself off.

All creative activity needs a filter. Just spewing the contents of your subconscious is not creativity, and would only be funny if you enjoy listening to incoherent bollocks, like listening to someone on amphetamines.

Comedy is not art but it's a craft, and you cannot craft without editing the content, even in improv (which is just editing at a quicker speed).