Author Topic: First Blood  (Read 2297 times)

Re: First Blood
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »
You can pretty much predict how this film will play out. Old man Rambo, a solitary rancher who wants to live out his final days in rural peace, is eventually (i.e. within the first half hour) compelled to once again become a one-man army. Ultra-violent carnage ensues. The film ends with Rambo delivering a melancholy speech before wandering off into the sunset. The last great American hero.

I'm sort of looking forward to it.
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Rambo cops for it near the end, probably in some kind of heroic sacrifice. I'm thinking on the same lines as that John Wayne film 'The Shootist'.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
    • Me Twitter
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2019, 04:45:10 PM »
He's getting on, I hope it's as mad and implausible as Death Wish III.

It probably won't be, as Stallone is now firmly ensconced within his respectable, autumnal, awards-nominated living legend/icon phase. My guess is that this will be an elegiac old man western (in which one-dimensional bad guys get killed in a variety of ridiculously violent ways).

• Me Twitter
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 04:48:24 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Rambo cops for it near the end, probably in some kind of heroic sacrifice. I'm thinking on the same lines as that John Wayne film 'The Shootist'.

That sounds about right. With his last breath he'll say something simple yet profound about the futility of man's inhumanity to man, despite having just killed 135 people.

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 04:48:46 PM »
Or, more recently, Logan. I wouldn't be surprised if that had a lot to do with this getting the green light.

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »
It probably won't be, as Stallone is now firmly ensconced within his respectable, autumnal, awards-nominated living legend/icon phase. My guess is that this will be an elegiac old man western (in which one-dimensional bad guys get killed in a variety of ridiculously violent ways).

Nah, he was still doing The Indestructables a few years ago.

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2019, 04:51:02 PM »
Or, more recently, Logan. I wouldn't be surprised if that had a lot to do with this getting the green light.
Add in a scene near the start, if not the opening shot, of him saluting Trautman's grave, then.

• Me Twitter
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2019, 05:09:05 PM »
Add in a scene near the start, if not the opening shot, of him saluting Trautman's grave, then.

He should unleash a bitter fountain of septuagenarian piss on Trautman's grave, that bullying military cunt was the cause of all the hell he went through. All Rambo ever wanted to do with his life was indulge his love of carpentry while wandering around looking soulful.

Nah, he was still doing The Indestructables a few years ago.

I know, he still churns out profitable action schlock, but he's always been torn between that stuff and his desire to be taken seriously as a 'proper' filmmaker. He's an Oscar-nominated actor and writer who's fully aware that he's made loads of (sometimes entertaining) crap in his time, which is why Rambo V will probably be a fairly dignified farewell to his legendary action hero image.

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2019, 05:23:03 PM »
He should unleash a bitter fountain of septuagenarian piss on Trautman's grave, that bullying military cunt was the cause of all the hell he went through. All Rambo ever wanted to do with his life was indulge his love of carpentry while wandering around looking soulful.
Well, he was going to Vietnam regardless. Did they ever actually explain how he ended up in that elite unit from which he was the last survivor?

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2019, 12:00:35 AM »
It’s the timeline in The Deer Hunter that makes no sense. You have these three friends of varying ages (RdN is obviously older than the other two) who sign up to join the army with great fanfare - at some point lateish in the Vietnam War when nobody was all misty-eyed about the armed forces anymore. Then all of a sudden it’s several years later and, despite intending to serve together if possible, only two of them have managed it, being in the 101st Airborne I think: the third has gone off to join Special Forces (hence the several years that passed, for the training). None of it makes any chronological sense.

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 12:30:42 AM »
Another promo image from Rambo V.

You can pretty much predict how this film will play out. Old man Rambo, a solitary rancher who wants to live out his final days in rural peace, is eventually (i.e. within the first half hour) compelled to once again become a one-man army. Ultra-violent carnage ensues. The film ends with Rambo delivering a melancholy speech before wandering off into the sunset. The last great American hero.

I'm sort of looking forward to it.

"They've got your wife!"
"But i'm not married!"
"You are now, to America!"

samadriel

• WHA' HAPPEN?
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 12:23:52 PM »
"They've got your wife!"
"But i'm not married!"
"You are now, to America!"

"I'll cry when I'm done killing..."

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 10:29:09 PM »
Rambo V: First Blood Thinner.
He was in country. Now he's incontinent.

thecuriousorange

• WELCOME THRILLHOU
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2019, 11:23:38 AM »

So the same as Rambo III. And Four. And Two.

• Me Twitter
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2019, 11:35:59 AM »
That's what I was getting at, aye.

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »
He didn't make any speeches at the end of the fourth one... I don't think there were any people left alive for him to address them to.

gib

• weak and wobbly

• Me Twitter
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2019, 08:11:08 AM »
The definitely, definitely, no two ways about it, final chapter in the Rambo saga has a release date of 20th September.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/02/sylvester-stallone-rambo-5-release-date/

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2019, 04:18:14 PM »
He's getting on, I hope it's as mad and implausible as Death Wish III.

I rewatched this recently.