Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:10:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

First Blood

Started by bgmnts, January 06, 2019, 01:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 28, 2019, 03:44:38 PMYou can pretty much predict how this film will play out. Old man Rambo, a solitary rancher who wants to live out his final days in rural peace, is eventually (i.e. within the first half hour) compelled to once again become a one-man army. Ultra-violent carnage ensues. The film ends with Rambo delivering a melancholy speech before wandering off into the sunset. The last great American hero.

I'm sort of looking forward to it.
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Rambo cops for it near the end, probably in some kind of heroic sacrifice. I'm thinking on the same lines as that John Wayne film 'The Shootist'.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 28, 2019, 04:35:39 PM
He's getting on, I hope it's as mad and implausible as Death Wish III.

It probably won't be, as Stallone is now firmly ensconced within his respectable, autumnal, awards-nominated living legend/icon phase. My guess is that this will be an elegiac old man western (in which one-dimensional bad guys get killed in a variety of ridiculously violent ways).

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 28, 2019, 04:39:02 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Rambo cops for it near the end, probably in some kind of heroic sacrifice. I'm thinking on the same lines as that John Wayne film 'The Shootist'.

That sounds about right. With his last breath he'll say something simple yet profound about the futility of man's inhumanity to man, despite having just killed 135 people.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 28, 2019, 04:39:02 PM
Or, more recently, Logan. I wouldn't be surprised if that had a lot to do with this getting the green light.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 28, 2019, 04:45:10 PM
It probably won't be, as Stallone is now firmly ensconced within his respectable, autumnal, awards-nominated living legend/icon phase. My guess is that this will be an elegiac old man western (in which one-dimensional bad guys get killed in a variety of ridiculously violent ways).

Nah, he was still doing The Indestructables a few years ago.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 28, 2019, 04:48:46 PM
Or, more recently, Logan. I wouldn't be surprised if that had a lot to do with this getting the green light.
Add in a scene near the start, if not the opening shot, of him saluting Trautman's grave, then.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 28, 2019, 04:51:02 PM
Add in a scene near the start, if not the opening shot, of him saluting Trautman's grave, then.

He should unleash a bitter fountain of septuagenarian piss on Trautman's grave, that bullying military cunt was the cause of all the hell he went through. All Rambo ever wanted to do with his life was indulge his love of carpentry while wandering around looking soulful.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 28, 2019, 04:49:02 PM
Nah, he was still doing The Indestructables a few years ago.

I know, he still churns out profitable action schlock, but he's always been torn between that stuff and his desire to be taken seriously as a 'proper' filmmaker. He's an Oscar-nominated actor and writer who's fully aware that he's made loads of (sometimes entertaining) crap in his time, which is why Rambo V will probably be a fairly dignified farewell to his legendary action hero image.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 28, 2019, 05:09:05 PM
He should unleash a bitter fountain of septuagenarian piss on Trautman's grave, that bullying military cunt was the cause of all the hell he went through. All Rambo ever wanted to do with his life was indulge his love of carpentry while wandering around looking soulful.
Well, he was going to Vietnam regardless. Did they ever actually explain how he ended up in that elite unit from which he was the last survivor?

mothman

It's the timeline in The Deer Hunter that makes no sense. You have these three friends of varying ages (RdN is obviously older than the other two) who sign up to join the army with great fanfare - at some point lateish in the Vietnam War when nobody was all misty-eyed about the armed forces anymore. Then all of a sudden it's several years later and, despite intending to serve together if possible, only two of them have managed it, being in the 101st Airborne I think: the third has gone off to join Special Forces (hence the several years that passed, for the training). None of it makes any chronological sense.

bgmnts

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 28, 2019, 03:44:38 PM
Another promo image from Rambo V.

You can pretty much predict how this film will play out. Old man Rambo, a solitary rancher who wants to live out his final days in rural peace, is eventually (i.e. within the first half hour) compelled to once again become a one-man army. Ultra-violent carnage ensues. The film ends with Rambo delivering a melancholy speech before wandering off into the sunset. The last great American hero.

I'm sort of looking forward to it.

"They've got your wife!"
"But i'm not married!"
"You are now, to America!"

samadriel

Quote from: bgmnts on January 30, 2019, 12:30:42 AM
"They've got your wife!"
"But i'm not married!"
"You are now, to America!"

"I'll cry when I'm done killing..."

McChesney Duntz

Rambo V: First Blood Thinner.
He was in country. Now he's incontinent.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 28, 2019, 03:44:38 PM
You can pretty much predict how this film will play out. Old man Rambo, a solitary rancher who wants to live out his final days in rural peace, is eventually (i.e. within the first half hour) compelled to once again become a one-man army. Ultra-violent carnage ensues. The film ends with Rambo delivering a melancholy speech before wandering off into the sunset. The last great American hero.

So the same as Rambo III. And Four. And Two.

That's what I was getting at, aye.

He didn't make any speeches at the end of the fourth one... I don't think there were any people left alive for him to address them to.

The definitely, definitely, no two ways about it, final chapter in the Rambo saga has a release date of 20th September.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/02/sylvester-stallone-rambo-5-release-date/

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 28, 2019, 04:35:39 PM
He's getting on, I hope it's as mad and implausible as Death Wish III.

I rewatched this recently.

Dyl Spinks

Just been to see the new Rambo.

Dearie me, it ain't great. But I did laugh a few times. Needless to say, he goes full-on Rambo-style and kills lots of people. Nearly everyone in the long credits list is Bulgarian. No Stoichkovs, though.

Mister Six

Are the deaths eye-poppingly graphic and unpleasant? That was the best bit of Rambo IV (the only Rambo film I've actually seen).

Quote from: Mister Six on September 20, 2019, 04:57:30 AM
Are the deaths eye-poppingly graphic and unpleasant? That was the best bit of Rambo IV (the only Rambo film I've actually seen).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambo:_Last_Blood#Critical_response

No spoilers there, it just confirms what you'd expect. Offensive racial stereotypes and an elderly Sly wreaking ultra-carnage.

Honestly, folks, the first Rambo film is dead good.

Quote from one of the reviews...

The high point of the movie finds him roaming the tunnels beneath Rambo's ranch, cranking up The Doors' "Five to One" as he coaxes various anonymous people into a series of gnarly Rube Goldberg traps.

I must admit, that sounds brilliant.

Shit Good Nose

Mate of mine saw it yesterday. 

Like me he loves First Blood, really likes 4 and can leave 2 and 3.

He thoroughly enjoyed this one - less grounded than 4, but nowhere near as ridiculous as 2 and 3.  He found it a thoroughly entertaining 89 minutes which whips along with absolutely no flab in it aside from a few initial tropes to get the whole thing going.

He also said he's absolutely amazed it got made given that it's basically bad Mexicans, gun worshipping, and ultra-violence framed in an entertaining way (unlike 4 where it's utterly unpleasant).  His quote - "the best Death Wish film never made".

I was going to go see it today at lunchtime, but unfortunately I've got a work site visit.

Dyl Spinks

I think it just felt a little "cheap", overall. The Soundtrack should've been something Springsteen Western Stars-ish or like Reno from Devils and Dust instead of the cheap generic music utilised instead. Like I said above, though - I did laugh a few times.

I had a quibble with a couple of plot points but won't go into it just now. And, hey, it's a Rambo film.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 20, 2019, 08:56:10 AM
He thoroughly enjoyed this one - less grounded than 4, but nowhere near as ridiculous as 2 and 3.  He found it a thoroughly entertaining 89 minutes which whips along with absolutely no flab in it aside from a few initial tropes to get the whole thing going.

He also said he's absolutely amazed it got made given that it's basically bad Mexicans, gun worshipping, and ultra-violence framed in an entertaining way (unlike 4 where it's utterly unpleasant).  His quote - "the best Death Wish film never made".

I reckon Sylvester Stallone would be great, charming, funny company until the conversation strayed into politics, at which point you'd politely make your excuses and leave.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 20, 2019, 10:50:30 AM
I reckon Sylvester Stallone would be great, charming, funny company until the conversation strayed into politics, at which point you'd politely make your excuses and leave.

The mate I mentioned above used to be a freelance film journalist in New York (was sent home/recalled with almost every other Brit a few days after 9/11) and he met and interviewed Stallone a few times.  A REALLY nice guy, straddles the political line between democrat and republican (he's always said if you want to work out his political views, watch F.I.S.T., which to this day remains one of his most underrated films in my opinion) but rarely gets involved on either side, surprisingly strong views about guns (the last time my mate interviewed him was shortly after Columbine, and back then he [Stallone] apparently wanted them effectively banned for personal ownership, not sure what he thinks these days but a quote on his Wiki page says he's "the most anti-gun person working in Hollywood today").  Famously finds Trump a source of entertainment and amusement (his "I love Trump" quote often taken out of context).

If anything he'd probably prefer to NOT talk politics.

kidsick5000

Last Blood really makes me want a Rambo 6, but not in a good way.
I believe Stallone is very smart and probably knows his audience.
But this is not the way for Rambo to go out. This is generic Taken knock off.

beanheadmcginty

The Den of Geek review says that there is a European cut and an American cut, with the European cut having an extra scene at the beginning. I saw it last night and the scene they describe was nowhere to be seen. Does this mean we've Brexited already?

bgmnts

How can you be anti-gun and churn out Rambo films?

Okay in First Blood he was pushed around and snuck around the woods fucking up coppers with twigs and stingy nettles until he snaps and goes mental with a gun, and its quite poignant and all the violence actually means something.

But still....

Blumf

Quote from: bgmnts on September 20, 2019, 11:33:02 AM
How can you be anti-gun and churn out Rambo films?

Bow and arrow, plus a Bowie knife. It's all you'll ever need.