Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome To Marwen

Started by Head Gardener, January 06, 2019, 11:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Blimey, I loved this last night - the soundtrack was a bit naff and Steve Carell can't smoke properly but other than that it's pretty bloody good

trailer

BlodwynPig

Looks like some Beige fucks wank fantasy but please describe why its not

Head Gardener

well I took the wife & kids and we all enjoyed it, it was based on a true story had some lovely lasses acting in it
and it had horrible Nazis and was also funny and a bit sad in places and we all thought it was really super, so kill me now.

Chriddof

BlodwynPig: The real life story behind this movie is a bit more complicated than a wank fantasy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marwencol_(art_installation)

Despite that, the film's currently getting quite a critical kicking due to the liberty it takes with real events, amongst other things. This review by Glenn Kenny on rogerebert.com sums up the complaints:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/welcome-to-marwen-2018

There was previously a very well-received documentary made about this almost a decade ago, called "Marwencol":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marwencol_(film)

If you're wondering why the name's slightly different there, that's the result of the script for "Welcome To Marwen" messing around with the true story for dramatic purposes:

QuoteThe name of Mark Hogancamp's 1:6 scale World War II-era Belgian town of "Marwencol", which he built along the side of his trailer home, is a combination of Mark's own name and the names of two women he had crushes on, Wendy and Colleen. Wendy was a married waitress at the Anchorage restaurant where he worked, and Colleen was an attractive blond neighbor who was also married. The town's name is shortened to "Marwen" for the movie since the film only includes one of the women by name, Wendy. Colleen is renamed Nicol in the movie and portrayed by Leslie Mann.

That's from here: http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/welcome-to-marwen/

Mister Six

Bollocks to the facts, is it a good film?

mothman

The trailer did feature in the "This'll be shit" thread and I wasn't really sure that was justified, but the trailer felt quite, well... busy? For instance, now HG has seen it, how much of it is the real-world comedy-drama and how much of it is the fantasy sequences with puppets? And does it come across as a bit of a Forrest Gump knock-off obverall?

Head Gardener

its a bit of both real/unreal, my 14yr old liked it as he makes home movies with his action figures so it really hit a note with him,
the real world sections blend easily with the fantasy sequences, it's even got nods to the directors earlier Back To The Future - there are
such other sappy films on atm that this was just a refreshing change, OK it won't trouble The Favourite for Oscars but it's entertaining

Z

There was a trailer for this before some film I saw recently. Almost immediately twigged that it was based on Marwencol, except staggeringly whitewashed... like, to the point that I was thinking "The real life Marwencol guy seems like a bit of a liability to do a big money film like this around. I wonder if he's dead or something"

Of course it was directed by Zemeckis. The older I get, the more I sour on that guy, there's always been a kind of gross pandering to his works but it just seems to get worse and worse and he ages.

Malcy

Had looked forward to seeing this since doing a market research thing on the trailer about a year ago. I'm watching it now and I've been on my phone for most of it. Bored stiff.

BlodwynPig

all those sexily dressed female dolls - is this a walk fantasy film wrapped up in female empowerment clothing?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

BlodwynPig

SteveDave

Watching this now.

It's "Sucker Punch" for middle-aged Centrist Dads.