Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:39:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Becoming more right wing as you age

Started by touchingcloth, January 06, 2019, 06:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Since turning 30, I've find myself a fair bit more in agreement with some ideas than the younger me could ever have contemplated, such as supply-side economics, low (perhaps even zero) out of work benefits, and a guaranteed homeland for the Aryan race.

Have any others of you noticed your own personal Overton windows sliding rightwards? If so, how?

imitationleather

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 06, 2019, 06:03:34 PM
Since turning 30, I've find myself a fair bit more in agreement with some ideas than the younger me could ever have contemplated, such as supply-side economics, low (perhaps even zero) out of work benefits, and a guaranteed homeland for the Aryan race.

Have any others of you noticed your own personal Overton windows sliding rightwards? If so, how?

I've started liking it when the Dutch lads black up at Christmas.

DrGreggles

If anything I've become more left wing.
I blame Tony Blairs.

Twed

Yeah, massive shift to the left after my 30s. Maybe it has to do with growing out of the ideals instilled in you as a child. It took 30 years to shed my Essex ways.

I've always voted Labour or Lib-Dem.  A couple of years ago, though, I actually read up in some detail on the Thatcher government's trade union reforms, and the level of union power before that, and came out largely on the reformist side.  Before you ask, I'm no Tory, now.  Welfare sanctions appal me.

touchingcloth

I think the reason for the fact that we're all Nazi BNP Kippers now is because the world of 2019 is such a scary and baffling place to a knackered old 32 year old. For instance, this:

None of that makes a blind bit of sense, except perhaps "was". It may as well say "Dapper Laughs criticised for dilapidated Fish Floss beaks".

Bring back hanging and throw away the key.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on January 06, 2019, 06:07:07 PM
Yeah, massive shift to the left after my 30s. Maybe it has to do with growing out of the ideals instilled in you as a child. It took 30 years to shed my Essex ways.

Probably just seems more left wing given you moved somewhere even more neoliberal.

Buelligan

I have a signed first edition of Thatcher's autobiography that she, herself, placed in my hand.  I keep it to remind me never to allow opportunity to pass me by.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Buelligan on January 06, 2019, 06:20:51 PM
I have a signed first edition of Thatcher's autobiography that she, herself, placed in my hand.  I keep it to remind me never to allow opportunity to pass me by.

Who was it signed by?

king_tubby

bgmnts

I've become incredibly disillusioned to the point where I've realised the human race is beyond redeemable and need to be extinct.

Not a popular view, admittedly.

Brundle-Fly

I get a very right-wing gut reaction to violent crime offenders now.  I don't want the return of capital or corporal punishment to the UK but when I read about the horrific acts these people commit, I have started to become very unforgiving and medieval, no matter what the criminals poor upbringing or psychological issues are. I hate feeling like that. It usually passes until the next Levi Bellfield, Sidney Cooke or acid throwing maniac comes along.

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 06, 2019, 06:24:29 PM
Who was it signed by?

The inscription ran 'to someone very horny, who turns me on, and gave me a good seeing-to on my secret jaunt to that dogging spot.  Margaret Thatcher.'  Whether Neil Kinnock wrote this or Thatcher gave it him is still debated.

pancreas

Preach. I've stopped agitating for the supermarkets to be nationalised.

I also think Tommy Robinson is misunderstood and unfairly hounded by the libtards just for the crime of talking common sense.

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on January 06, 2019, 06:27:03 PM
I've become incredibly disillusioned to the point where I've realised the human race is beyond redeemable and need to be extinct.

Not a popular view, admittedly.

One I can agree with. I don't know if it's right wing as such, but one of my most provocative and genuine opinions is that things like IVF shouldn't be allowed. There's too many of us for the planet as it is, and there are kids who need adopting, so bollocks to anyone desperate to spread their own worthless seed. Also, all of you fuckers should house a rescue dog immediately.

Paul Calf

IVF should absolutely not be allowed as long as a single orphanage remains open.

Twed

Agreed. Almost 50% of orphans are fertile.

pancreas

Shd've just changed impregnated to inseminated.

Twed

I really could not settle on a satisfactory way of wording such a shit joke and I'm glad you caught at least one of my five edits.

Cuellar

I just finished that Vietnam documentary on Netflix and found myself thinking "yeah they fucked that up, stupid idea" when they said the communists, after the war was over, set up a communist state and it went tits up.

Communism: just doesn't work does it.

touchingcloth

What's the best thing about fucking eighty one year old orphans?

They're so fertile.

pancreas

Quote from: Twed on January 06, 2019, 06:47:40 PM
I really could not settle on a satisfactory way of wording such a shit joke and I'm glad you caught at least one of my five edits.

If we can't make jokes about fucking children, then things really have taken a turn for the reactionary.

flotemysost

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 06, 2019, 06:31:11 PM
One I can agree with. I don't know if it's right wing as such, but one of my most provocative and genuine opinions is that things like IVF shouldn't be allowed. There's too many of us for the planet as it is, and there are kids who need adopting, so bollocks to anyone desperate to spread their own worthless seed. Also, all of you fuckers should house a rescue dog immediately.

My opinions are increasingly leaning in this direction (not necessarily re: completely banning IVF, but generally about how we view procreation and the right to have your own biological children), but I've never thought of it as right-wing.

The stance I'm coming from is that a) as you say, the planet is already horrifically overcrowded and as resources run low it's generally poorer, non-Western populations which are hit first and hardest, b) as you also say, the number of unwanted children who are currently living either in care or with wildly incapable parents is tragic, and c) pregnancy and childbirth can be traumatic and dangerous and shouldn't be treated by society as an expected, inevitable life stage - it's definitely not for everyone. But I think those are all pretty liberal views.

mothman

I'm a centrist dad, apparently, which puts me to the right of Attila The Hun in the eyes of many.

Jack Shaftoe

Same here. Also I'm in my mid-forties, and everything's becoming increasingly bewildering and complicated (I do a bit of lecturing and the students just seem insanely emotional and self-centred these days - I have to keep reminding myself they're almost certainly no worse than when I was a student), and the need for simple answers to everything is becoming a siren song. I reckon if I lived in the US a week of Fox News is all it would take for me to start wearing a red hat.

Luckily my wife is smarter than me and has empathy and that, so she stops me reaching for the Daily Mail, or doing a 'where am me watermelon' voice every time a black contestant appears on Bake Off repeats on Netflix like my dad still does in an absent-minded, doesn't even mean it sort of way.

EDIT: my wife has also gently asked me to stop saying things like 'we need a new plague that wipes out the stupid half of the human race'. I do mean this though, and I don't even claim to be in the smart half.

touchingcloth

I suspect there's probably something in the idea that students are different now than at times in the past. It's the era of the individual, after all - social media means that people are rarely happy being basic, ordinary bitches - and there's an undercurrent of infantilisation running through all ages - double chocolate Oreo Mars Bar triple fudge choccy choc sundaes available for sale in otherwise fairly serious restaurants.

Everything's awful. All of it.

Emma Raducanu

If every cat and dog were exterminated tonight, I'd probably have a beer to celebrate. No more dog shit on our streets. No more cat shit in my garden.

touchingcloth

Same goes for the humans. We could do with a good rain to wash all the rubbish off the streets.

canadagoose

I'm turning 30 next month and I've never been leftier, but I realise I may be an outlier. I've never been paid more in my life, so it's not because I've got worse off. Not to say I don't have the odd regressive opinion, but I think it's mostly deep-seated bitterness and knee-jerk reactions more than anything else. Like, I really hate entitlement amongst people when it comes to... anything, really. People should be entitled to things that make life tolerable and good, but they should be grateful. It's obviously something from my upbringing, which is no excuse, but I still feel that way.