Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:42:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Where has the best tasting water?

Started by Emma Raducanu, January 06, 2019, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

I remember camping in Powys, North Wales and the water would be collected by a giant tap and stored in a barrel that needed rolling. The water had a deep metallic taste, with subtle nuances. Fucking magical stuff it was. One of the best childhood memories I have. Water round here is shit mate.

The Lurker

Hartlepool has the best tap water. That is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it but it is scientific fact.

touchingcloth

I like the stuff they have at my local pub that's flavoured with hops WAYYY DO YOU GET IT LADS BEER BAVE YOU EVER TRIED IT IT IS ALCOHOL BIT OF BOOZE FOR THE DADS

canadagoose

Aberdeen isn't too bad. Most of Edinburgh is OK too but sometimes suffers from duff plumbing in some buildings. Had an issue with the water in one of my old flats, but that might have been due to a gas leak. (Don't ask.) Honestly can't complain about the water here.

mothman

I don't know if I was ever conscious of liking it at the time, but the water in West Sussex where I went to school and later lived always tasted nice. So much so that when I go back to visit friends and have a glass from the tap, I always think "Ah, yeah, that's the stuff."

My wife's never liked Bristol water, and I can sort of see what she means. I drink a lot of water now, but prefer to drink mineral water rather than what comes out of the taps. Supermarket own brand sparkling mineral water, I'm not made of money. I probably spent the same amount each week on squash back when I was really fat.

Quote from: The Lurker on January 06, 2019, 07:39:08 PM
Hartlepool has the best tap water. That is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it but it is scientific fact.

Hartlepool water is hard as nails. The kettle bottoms, left unattended, can end up hairy.

canadagoose

I can't say I'm very used to hard water. Everywhere I've lived has been soft or medium-soft (for one entire year). When I've been on trips down south, I've not bothered tasting the water. Is it worth trying?

flotemysost

Borjomi (ბორჯომი), the Georgian bottled water, is something else - it's got a sharp, salty tang from the high level of volcanic minerals, takes a bit of getting used to but weirdly moreish.

canadagoose

Quote from: flotemysost on January 06, 2019, 08:06:20 PM
Borjomi (ბორჯომი), the Georgian bottled water, is something else - it's got a sharp, salty tang from the high level of volcanic minerals, takes a bit of getting used to but weirdly moreish.
That sounds nice. The talk of volcanoes reminded me of Reykjavik, which has nice cold water too - but the hot water smells of sulphur. Apparently the city provides it as a utility rather than people having their own boilers.

holyzombiejesus

We get water from a spring at the top of the road (genuinely). It's nice although, until recently, when it rained heavily our bath water comes out of the tap brown from the peat. They cleaned out the tank or replaced it or something and now it's fine, even after a deluge.

My mum had a water softener installed when they moved to a hard water area and it was really lovely velvety soft and limescale free. No marks round your taps and kettle and it's much better for your skin. Also what was really noticeable was shampoo and shower gel really bubbles up with just a tiny amount. Great stuff. You have to buy little salt blocks but they aren't too expensive.
So overall I would recommend water softeners.

Blinder Data

Was staying at in-laws in SW London over Xmas - the layer of scum at the top was nearly solid.

The answer is Glasgow.

TrenterPercenter

Birmingham water is known for it's greatness and it is generally true (you don't get any lime scale at all really).

It is stolen from Wales though.

St_Eddie

You know what they say; you can lead a horse to a watering hole but the cunt will only kick you in the bollocks for it.

BlodwynPig

Worst is Devon and South West. Newcastle had fluorine added when i was a child and i loved it. Still good and soft.

Alberon

Captain Crunch

Quote from: mothman on January 06, 2019, 07:46:57 PMMy wife's never liked Bristol water, and I can sort of see what she means.

Yeah it's got a bleachy taste to it.  Thames Water is best, cleanest in the country. 

Twed

The best-tasting water is in Flint, Michigan. That's the fucking irony of it all.

St_Eddie

All I know is that the water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

Ferris

thenoise

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 06, 2019, 10:44:13 PM
Worst is Devon and South West.

Grew up with Devon water, tastes fine to me. Comes off Dartmoor, very tasty.  Cornish water is ok too. Took me years to get used to the Bristol stuff though, had to force it down. Bottled tasted so much better. London wasn't as bad as I expected.

Buelligan

If we're trying to calibrate this at all, I know someone whose tap water makes you vomit and shit for a couple of days.  You don't feel too bad though.  The taste is OK.  For me, anyway, that's pretty near the bottom.  Not the actual bottom.

MojoJojo

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on January 06, 2019, 09:23:56 PM
My mum had a water softener installed when they moved to a hard water area and it was really lovely velvety soft and limescale free. No marks round your taps and kettle and it's much better for your skin. Also what was really noticeable was shampoo and shower gel really bubbles up with just a tiny amount. Great stuff. You have to buy little salt blocks but they aren't too expensive.
So overall I would recommend water softeners.

You'll be excited to hear that I'm getting one installed. There's some question over whether it is a good idea to drink it though.

Pijlstaart

I like hard water, it has oomph to it, fantastic taste. Drinking straight from the cold tap at the family homestead, lips and tongue caressing the salty green limescale ring on the end. Can't be beat. Manchester and leeds rank high on my shit water scale, a mouthful of water there is little more than a mouthful of air. Couldn't drown in it, explains why manchester pusher is such a shit serial killer.

Big fan of the comment section on this:
https://tappwater.co/en/title-wheres-the-best-and-worst-tap-water-in-the-uk/

Cuellar

Imagine thinking there are different flavours of water!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thenoise on January 07, 2019, 12:20:20 AM
Grew up with Devon water, tastes fine to me. Comes off Dartmoor, very tasty.  Cornish water is ok too. Took me years to get used to the Bristol stuff though, had to force it down. Bottled tasted so much better. London wasn't as bad as I expected.

Yeh, if you drink from the source and there are no dead sheep upstream.

Some website claims that Severn Trent, Anglia and Thames have the best tasting drinking water. They probably use ozone instead of chlorine. Residual chlorine or chloroamines i think give the bad taste.

Shit Good Nose

Hard water typically tastes a lot nicer than soft water, but you've got the furring up and calcium build up problem and, in ultra-hard water areas, good luck whipping up a decent lather for a wash and shave.  Soft water is best for shaving and washing, but it invariably tastes fucking horrible.

Worst of all is hard water that's been treated with water softener. 

Rizla

I remember they did this on BBC's Food and Drink back in the day. Jilly and Oz. I think the lake district was no1, Edinburgh/lothians came in 2nd.

Emma Raducanu

And yet the lake districts water is shit unless you're drinking from the top of a river on a hot day.

kngen

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 06, 2019, 10:25:19 PM
Was staying at in-laws in SW London over Xmas - the layer of scum at the top was nearly solid.

The answer is Glasgow.

Agreed. And regarding London, I moved into a flat there and was told the shower didn't really work. It did after I got a pin and cleaned all the limescale out of the perforations in the shower head. Fucking stupid city.