Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:08:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rewatching The Inbetweeners after that anniversary horror show

Started by madhair60, January 07, 2019, 08:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 10, 2019, 01:42:28 AM
Absolutely.  Why they choose to rip-off a fairly awful, lowest common denominator movie, such as Kevin & Perry Go Large is as baffling, as it is lamentable.  Then again, the box office results and largely glowing reviews probably attest to it being the right thing to do, from a business perspective at any rate.

Most of the target audience for the first Inbetweeners film would have probably been fairly young when that movie came out, I definitely wasn't aware of it at that point.

I think there has to be a stipulation that 90% of UK TV to film adaptations have to involve the regular group of characters going on holiday somewhere and having it large.

the science eel

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 10, 2019, 03:18:34 AM
I think there has to be a stipulation that 90% of UK TV to film adaptations have to involve the regular group of characters going on holiday somewhere and having it large.

magval

Jay saying "fuck off you fat wanker" to John at the formal seems uncharacteristically hateful, and is neither foreshadowed or called back to. Even given the situation (a girl has shown him attention), it just doesn't 'work' for me.

That's my problem with The Inbetweeners - the interactions are brilliant ("you can all stand around here and finger Neil's bumhole" the highlight of series 1, which I watched again last night) and the situations are often brilliant (skidding at the disco, driving a shit car, touting on the underage drinkers), but the actual presentation and 'show-making' of it all is very amateurish, from the use of awful dated music instead of a score to the 'coming up' shots, the reflections at the end and the voiceover. It's pitched at people with no attention span, or something, I guess.

I remember thinking when Neil used the phrase "visual wank bank" that they didn't trust the audience to know what they'd have meant if he just said "wank bank", which is miles funnier.

Also don't care for the repetition in their banter because they don't evolve their replies over the series. There's too much of "[Jay insults Simon]" - "[Simon says brilliant]". When you get little glimpses of them reacting in different ways, it works really well. The Gervais-isms grate as well, but they grate anywhere.

Few wee criticisms there, but overall I enjoyed revisiting it. Looking forward to series 2 this evening.

arpster

Quote from: magval on January 10, 2019, 10:52:00 AM
Looking forward to series 2 this evening.

my advice would be that if you stop trying to analyse the arse out of it you'll probably find it a lot more rewarding..

madhair60

^ Ignore that, please do go on. Your thoughts are interesting and this is a comedy discussion/analysis forum

Captain Z

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 07, 2019, 02:09:32 PM
If I remember correctly, wasn't Will's plan to take a cutting from the wig but his date startles him and in a blind panic, he shoves the whole wig down his pants?  They go straight over to her place and start making out and she keeps trying to put her hand down his trousers but he, knowing that the concealed wig lies within, keeps trying to nonchalantly bat her away but she persists and the jig is up!

The point being that Will didn't believe that an entire wig would pass muster as a credible makeshift merkin.  He had a crazy idea upon seeing the wig and before he could properly process how preposterous that idea was, much less actually take a clipping of the wig, he stuffed it down his pants and spent the rest of the evening trying his darnedest to conceal his itchy little secret.  Contrived?  Yes.  Entirely nonsensical?  Eh, not really.

I don't remember that being his plan, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention and have missed that detail. Either way, the point is that the only reason he would need to disguise his lack of pubes would be if his date was going to see them, yet as soon as that situation arose it would be obvious they were fake. I think the joke ('of course... you're a child') would have worked equally well without the wig.

magval

Quote from: arpster on January 10, 2019, 11:24:24 AM
my advice would be that if you stop trying to analyse the arse out of it you'll probably find it a lot more rewarding..

Aye, hard to know how to respond to shit like this, don't want to stoke the fire any but at the same time Madhair's right, this isn't a Facebook thread.

up_the_hampipe

I'm surprised that the sequel is disliked on here, at least by some. I thought it was one of the few franchises that was somewhat consistent all the way through. Some of the sequences in the sequel are a little extreme, or just broader, but it felt a lot more like a 'movie' than the first one which seemed like an extended Inbetweeners episode. One of my favourite shots in the Inbetweeners catalogue is from the sequel, when Will is getting it on with the girl at the hostel and he looks over to see Jay masturbating in his bed watching them.

madhair60

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 10, 2019, 01:47:08 PM
I'm surprised that the sequel is disliked on here, at least by some. I thought it was one of the few franchises that was somewhat consistent all the way through. Some of the sequences in the sequel are a little extreme, or just broader, but it felt a lot more like a 'movie' than the first one which seemed like an extended Inbetweeners episode. One of my favourite shots in the Inbetweeners catalogue is from the sequel, when Will is getting it on with the girl at the hostel and he looks over to see Jay masturbating in his bed watching them.

I enjoy the sequel but it does feel stretched thin. Plenty of laughs though

ASFTSN

Quote from: arpster on January 07, 2019, 11:43:06 PM
Jay's dad should have got a spin-off series..

You could just watch any number of the other sitcoms the actor appears in seemingly playing the exact same character and pretend they're Inbetweeners canon.

Captain Z

Quote from: ASFTSN on January 11, 2019, 11:01:10 AM
You could just watch any number of the other sitcoms the actor appears in seemingly playing the exact same character and pretend they're Inbetweeners canon.

Agreed - I was going to suggest Phoneshop, what others are there?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Captain Z on January 11, 2019, 11:14:53 AM

The Office, 15 Storeys High, The Armando Iannucci Shows.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Captain Z on January 11, 2019, 11:14:53 AM

Are you doing what I always do and confusing him with Martin Trenaman or is this a CaB in-joke? Or is he actually in Phoneshop and I've missed him?

Custard

Having rewatched the series the past week or so, I'm thinking the weakest episode is the volunteering at the old people's home one. Don't think I laughed once. Very weak and strange all round

Series three is much better than I remembered it, though. Jay on the moped. The university episode - "it smells like pissy Sugar Puffs!". The camping one. Simon's bollock.

It's the dialogue and repetitive pisstaking between the four of them that really cracks me up, though. It reminds me of how my mates and I would talk to each other when I was at school. Just relentless pisstaking and callbacks. It's fantastically endearing and funny.

Jerzy Bondov

I think I've posted about this before but I love Jay's advice on the female anatomy, from series 3:
"Now, the minge has two main parts: The flaps and the clitty."
"What about the hole?"
"All right, three."

Captain Z

Quote from: ASFTSN on January 11, 2019, 01:19:22 PM
Are you doing what I always do and confusing him with Martin Trenaman or is this a CaB in-joke? Or is he actually in Phoneshop and I've missed him?

Oh shit, I was thinking of him as Jay's dad instead of Simon's. My mistake.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Captain Z on January 11, 2019, 03:22:13 PM
Oh shit, I was thinking of him as Jay's dad instead of Simon's. My mistake.

Hah, well actually both the actors playing Jay's dad and Simon's dad more or less play their same character in everything anyway! One crass boor, one prissy wimp.

Jay's Dad turns up in Our Friends In The North which rather took me out of the action.

I think he's peak Jay's Dad in the Office though.

Utter Shit

Quote from: ASFTSN on January 11, 2019, 03:51:49 PM
Hah, well actually both the actors playing Jay's dad and Simon's dad more or less play their same character in everything anyway! One crass boor, one prissy wimp.

Just to confuse things even more, I think that 'prissy wimp' description might refer to Neil's dad (Alexander MacQueen) rather than Simon's dad (Martin Trenaman)!

They're all brilliant in everything they appear in, anyway. For my money David Schaal is at his best in the Inbetweeners or the Armando Iannucci Shows,, Alexander MacQueen consistently gets some of the best lines intThe Thick Of It, and Martin Trenaman is superb in the horribly underrated Phoneshop.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 11, 2019, 04:21:37 PM
Just to confuse things even more, I think that 'prissy wimp' description might refer to Neil's dad (Alexander MacQueen) rather than Simon's dad (Martin Trenaman)!

They're all brilliant in everything they appear in, anyway. For my money David Schaal is at his best in the Inbetweeners or the Armando Iannucci Shows,, Alexander MacQueen consistently gets some of the best lines intThe Thick Of It, and Martin Trenaman is superb in the horribly underrated Phoneshop.

You're right! Out of this lot Trenaman's my favourite though, he's hilarious in 15 Storeys High as the bloke asking 'Do you want that?' at every piece of food in Vince's breakfast.

And of course Phoneshop yeah, his adoration of little Gary Patel. "That was on his day off....".

Jockice

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 11, 2019, 03:00:18 PM
Having rewatched the series the past week or so, I'm thinking the weakest episode is the volunteering at the old people's home one. Don't think I laughed once. Very weak and strange all round

Series three is much better than I remembered it, though. Jay on the moped. The university episode - "it smells like pissy Sugar Puffs!". The camping one. Simon's bollock.

It's the dialogue and repetitive pisstaking between the four of them that really cracks me up, though. It reminds me of how my mates and I would talk to each other when I was at school. Just relentless pisstaking and callbacks. It'sd  fantastically endearing and funny.

That was the first episode I ever saw. And although I liked the third series overall I think they were really starting to run out of ideas. Good job they didn't try to make a film isn't it?

Yes, as I've said before, it's the dialogue that does me in. It's exactly how teenage boys (well, the ones I knew as a teenager) talked to each other.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The first time I saw an episode (the school trip one, that ends with Neil punching a fish to death), I was sure it was going to be crap. It was on E4, for god's sake! I went along with it out of politeness, only for it win me over within about five minutes. It really was like seeing myself and my schoolmates onscreen, in musch the same way that The Royle Family had struck a chord with family life.

I'd say the series veered a little too far into grossout humour as it went on, but I was notorious throughout my late teens and twenties for drunken puking, so it was actually quite accurate.

ASFTSN

Apart from the dialogue being pretty on point for twatty middle class suburban teenage lads in the 2000s, the other thing I think really rang true about the main characters was the sort of dynamic of the friendship group where they're less awkward when they're all together, but not really comfortable unless they're all there.

Certainly in my similarly sized group of friends, when we were all together, we'd have a laugh and take the piss out of each other to various degress of harshness and that. But you're always more comfortable hanging out with certain people than others, to the degree it actually might be a but awkward if someone was missing from the group.

So here the lads are basically arranged in "pairs" that you feel have more or less awkward friendships. Like you know that Jay and Neil would be fine hanging out together in a pair, as would Simon and Will. But then Will and Jay, or Neil and Simon it would be a bit off and each of them would secretly wish one of the others would turn up, not because they wanted to see them, just because the dynamic would be be hard work.

Difficult to phrase really, but it definitely reminded me of slightly awkward situations you get at that age where the twatty banter is the principle mode of interaction.

Andy147

Quote from: Jockice on January 11, 2019, 04:35:52 PM
That was the first episode I ever saw. And although I liked the third series overall I think they were really starting to run out of ideas.

I think I read somewhere that it wasn't so much the creators "running out of ideas" as "running out of things that had actually happened to one of them (or someone they knew)", so it was starting to seem less realistic.

Retinend

"Inbetweeners 2" is a masterpiece: at 45 minutes there's a simple line "wait, I'm thinking" that had me burst out laughing. It summarizes all that is most hilarious in piss-taking.

Neil: can we post links like these? https://oload.fun/f/O2v2bKLy3yI

Retinend

Custard

Gonna rewatch both films this week. I still love the first one. Jay face down in an ant hill is enough to make it a cracker

Mobius

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 13, 2019, 07:30:11 AM
Gonna rewatch both films this week. I still love the first one. Jay face down in an ant hill is enough to make it a cracker
a

It's quality mate, proper bantz

paruses

Quote from: Andy147 on January 11, 2019, 09:58:41 PM
I think I read somewhere that it wasn't so much the creators "running out of ideas" as "running out of things that had actually happened to one of them (or someone they knew)", so it was starting to seem less realistic.

I can see that - I was very disappointed with the "dog put to sleep" payoff of Jay wanking (or something related).