Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:33:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unsolicited Premium Text Ratbags

Started by drummersaredeaf, January 07, 2019, 03:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone got any experience in getting money back off these shithouse enterprises?

I've blocked, cancelled, called the operator as well as my network, and found the number for the regulator. However, it seems the way to get refunded is through the 'service operator' themselves. Over the phone they gave me the option of giving them my address or emailing them where I will no doubt be asked for my address. I'm not that keen on giving an organisation set up to scam more data about myself. I'm not getting any money back am I.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Can you start by explaining how you came to lose out?

I received a handful of unsolicited premium texts which automatically billed me £3 a time. A quick Google suggests there's a fair few other people in the same boat with no idea how they have subscribed to this 'service' (which is MOT checking). The people on the end of the phone were 'evasive', to put it politely. My guess is it's a criminal enterprise that will obtain the numbers somehow and continue until they get shut down, and this is why I'm not keen on handing more personal info over.

steveh

There is currently no way around complaining first to the service operator. Only after that can you escalate it to the Phone-Paid Services Authority. The operator might just be a contractor for the people who run that particular number.

https://psauthority.org.uk/news/blogs/2018/september/what-to-do-if-you-re-seeking-a-refund-for-an-unexpected-charge-on-your-phone-bill

Sebastian Cobb

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ouch sorry to read about that. Surely every such thing has an 'unsubscribe' reply option by law?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 07, 2019, 05:45:11 PM
Ouch sorry to read about that. Surely every such thing has an 'unsubscribe' reply option by law?

I don't think these people care one iota about abiding by the word of the law.

Bobtoo

My wife got one a couple of years ago. IIRC it was something along the lines of an unsolicited text saying she was signed up for some service and she had to text a certain number to unsubscribe. She ignored the text and her next bill was £50 more than it should have been.

The network was unhelpful but they did point her towards a setting in her account that would prevent any Tom, Dick or Harry from helping themselves to our money. For some unknown reason that was A) and option and B) not enabled by default.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bobtoo on January 07, 2019, 09:10:15 PM
...For some unknown reason that was A) and option and B) not enabled by default.

Presumably, it was a data limit option and the reason that's not enabled by default is because...

A/ Most people would rather not have to use a separate Internet source or phone up their network provider to disable the data limit option, every time they go a few megabytes over their inclusive data package.  That could be extremely inconvenient if your only means of communication is via your phone and you're out in the middle of nowhere.

B/ It behooves network providers to hope that their customers go over their data limit and incur additional charges because £££.

Bobtoo

It was nothing to do with data, it was literally about handing over our money to any cunt who asked for it. There's no real mystery as to why though, the network takes a cut for themselves before handing it over.

Bazooka

The law can't help you, but vigilantism can. You need to find the HQ(will look like a big pagoda tower) and combat your way through some henchmen, each will offer a different fighting style(this is all done wearing no shirt). Eventually if lucky you will find the head honcho who will be 7ft tall with bad eye sight but a ghastly reach.

I was hung up on earlier for saying 'fuck' to an Irish woman. Is this how the quest begins?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

She played the fiddle in an Irish band but she gets paid work in a telephone scam

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bobtoo on January 07, 2019, 10:15:09 PM
It was nothing to do with data, it was literally about handing over our money to any cunt who asked for it. There's no real mystery as to why though, the network takes a cut for themselves before handing it over.

Eek!  On that basis, I think that it would be prudent of me to check my own network settings.

Quote from: Bazooka on January 07, 2019, 10:17:45 PM
The law can't help you, but vigilantism can. You need to find the HQ(will look like a big pagoda tower) and combat your way through some henchmen, each will offer a different fighting style(this is all done wearing no shirt). Eventually if lucky you will find the head honcho who will be 7ft tall with bad eye sight but a ghastly reach.

If you should encounter any giant enemy crabs as you storm the HQ, then be sure to attack their weak point for massive damage!

canadagoose

Quote from: Bazooka on January 07, 2019, 10:17:45 PM
Are they trying to reboot Streets of Rage or something?

St_Eddie

Quote from: canadagoose on January 07, 2019, 10:52:19 PM

Sega's already doing that.

Bazooka

Quote from: canadagoose on January 07, 2019, 10:52:19 PM

Its the synopsis for the final showdown in the Bruce Lee motion picture Game of Death.