Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Where does one buy bricks?

Started by pancreas, January 07, 2019, 04:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

I've only just clocked that panco wants to brick some fools window but wants to ask where to get bricks without leaving a digital trace, sorry all, I'm as thick as a plinth this year

What's your favourite brick? But biased but I really love the cynhordi brick, it's as hard as FUCK and is a nice hue

pancreas

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 07, 2019, 10:33:50 PM
Which organ?

Well, it's a shitty Viscount 4500 classic I got from ebay for a couple of hundred quid, but it does have a(n almost) full pedal board. The main thing is that in spite of being made in 1995, it's fully midi-equipped (except for the swell pedal, which is basically just a volume control for the feet). So this means I can plug it into Hauptwerk and GrandOrgue on my laptop. For the latter I've installed the Friesach organ you can get free online, and it sounds fucking incredible through headphones.

You should hear my Salomé Grand Choeur. People can't get enough of that shit. I do play it almost twice as fast as the recordings on youtube (which are really quite bad) but it's not that hard at all.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 07, 2019, 10:50:08 PM
I've only just clocked that panco wants to brick some fools window but wants to ask where to get bricks without leaving a digital trace, sorry all, I'm as thick as a plinth this year

The bricks are really for under the bench, but now that you mention it I might get another couple to adfenestrate too.

Fry

Go ona  massive pub crawl and nick enough bar mats to stack up. That'll do that job. I reckon about.... 1000 will do it. What's that, 20 pubs?

BlodwynPig

Wear 70s platform boots like the best organ players and stop with these appalling threads.

Captain Z

The thought of you using only 2 bricks makes me nervous, I would get 4.

famethrowa

Quote from: pancreas on January 07, 2019, 04:41:36 PM
Incidentally, look at this:

What about that great old burthen "Jesus Christ, Look at this Place?"

Asking for advice on buying bricks on CaB is like going to the gents in your local and asking for advice on how to cook a woodcock.

thraxx

John Bonham still has some in that flight case that he would never let his roadies open.

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on January 07, 2019, 04:41:36 PM
Incidentally, look at this:

Gosh I didn't know they had shadows of cameraphones when hymn books were around.

pancreas

Quote from: im barry bethel on January 08, 2019, 10:58:50 AM
99p and no bids, get in quick

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilz-Precision-Machine-Levelling-Wedges-Feet-Blocks/303017460497?hash=item468d3f8311:g:VK0AAOSwZs1bzyWo

I don't understand how these things are supposed to work. What are the metal lamina things for? And what is the screw thing for? Presumably it goes flat on the floor on the rubber bit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilz-Precision-Machine-Levelling-Wedges-Feet-Blocks/303017460497?hash=item468d3f8311:g:VK0AAOSwZs1bzyWo

I would hazard a guess that the reserve price will be in excess of £200. Also, don't forget the £50 postage.

B&Q sell these for 43p. I'm sure you'll fit a couple of these into your satchel.

im barry bethel

Quote from: pancreas on January 08, 2019, 11:08:33 AM
I don't understand how these things are supposed to work. What are the metal lamina things for? And what is the screw thing for? Presumably it goes flat on the floor on the rubber bit?

Turn the screw to jack the wedge in or out with the resulting increase of height, the other bits are just shims

Quote from: Special K on January 08, 2019, 11:18:19 AM
I would hazard a guess that the reserve price will be in excess of £200. Also, don't forget the £50 postage.

Still a bargain

Buelligan

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on January 08, 2019, 06:52:44 AM
Asking for advice on buying bricks on CaB is like going to the gents in your local and asking for advice on how to cook a woodcock.

You obviously live somewhere rather bizarre E S Peacock, try that here and you'll be leaving with offers of handed down flesh rubs, the loan of a clockwork spit and bales of wild-grown special herbs that can alter the whole experience immeasurably.  I am not even lying.

Replies From View

B&Q sell these for 43p. I'm sure you'll fit a couple of these into your satchel.

Those are concrete.  Not bricks.

Buelligan

Although he should be careful his eyes are not larger than his biceps.  All very well to fit them in, old darling but it's the carrying that's the measure of the man (or woman).

Very recently, in the course of my lawful occupation, I came across two ancient (abandoned) encaustic tiles.  Very fucking beautiful they were too.  About 6cm thick and 35cm square, the sort of thing one might find on the floor of a fine cathedral or ancient and wealthy gothic great hall.  Anyway, I decided they should come with me.  Fucking hell, freezing weather, about five or six miles home in the dead of night.  My poor dear arms.  I almost set them free.  But not quite.  And now they are mine.

I expect childbirth is similar.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on January 08, 2019, 12:23:31 PM

I had some floorstanding speakers on them, worked fine.

Quote from: Replies From View on January 08, 2019, 12:23:31 PM

The people at B&Q market this as a "Grey Reconstituted stone Common brick"

Very Trustworthy
Anonymous - 3 years ago - As an experienced DIY builer i would seriously reccommend the B&Q Grey Reconstructed Brick, it has not failed in all the time I have used it!!

ziggy starbucks

There must be a buy-one-brick-get-one-brick-free offer nearby

gilbertharding

thraxx

Usefully they've got jack sockets in them to, so you can connect your guitars up to them and pretend you've got a well metal set of effects boxes.

Sometimes you can get industrial waste and building materials from a local scrapyard, for pennies, sometimes even free.

Quote from: pancreas on January 07, 2019, 04:13:51 PM
I want two bricks as my organ bench needs to be raised up. I'm currently using a copy of Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations and some Thomas Hardy books, but they are too wobbly even to be useful for this meagre endeavour—thus rendering them completely worthless, not just qua literature.

I'd look to buy them soon. Come the end of March, the prices may sky rocket, what with Brickxit and all...

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 08, 2019, 12:32:24 PM
I had some floorstanding speakers on them, worked fine.

That's not the definition of a brick, pal.

Replies From View

Quote from: Special K on January 08, 2019, 01:41:03 PM
The people at B&Q market this as a "Grey Reconstituted stone Common brick"

No, this isn't.  Same cunts who sell "Grey squirrel red squirrel" - just jamming all the keywords in.

It's not vintage retro, and it's not a game and 'watch with mother' homing-dinosaur.  Put in bin.

Dex Sawash

Have you checked to see if gecko is suitable bench height?

Kryton

I'd quite happily throw some bricks through your big posh windows.

Quote from: Replies From View on January 08, 2019, 04:10:05 PM
No, this isn't.  Same cunts who sell "Grey squirrel red squirrel" - just jamming all the keywords in.

It's not vintage retro, and it's not a game and 'watch with mother' homing-dinosaur.  Put in bin.

You seem to get getting worked up over two bricks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick#Concrete_bricks

Replies From View