Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:13:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Talk about... pop music!

Started by hummingofevil, January 07, 2019, 05:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Haway lads. The only way you can't like this is you don't want to. I get the fact that (like all pop music ever) part of the charm is if you warm to the character involved and can see how even audibly there are aspects of TS's vocal that rubs you up the wrong way but this album is a fucking banger. Well from 1-7 it just grows and grows, constantly suprising you and I Think He Knows You is great and then Miss America and The Heartbreak Prince  has just blown my mind. (The CRJ comparisons I read are valid but... not... she does CRJ in a way that just feels a tad more commercial and polished* but the differences equal out; different not better/worse.). Point is she is not worse than CRJ and from me that is the hightest praise. For tracks 1-7 at least.

*On reflection it is missing that tiny bit extra that makes CRJ so perfect but it's slightly less than that. Slightly. By the tiniest amount; it's a **** album.

steveh

While I can appreciate Charli XCX's songwriting skills I just can't get past the heavily processed vocals. I feel like I'm in the 21st century's equivalent of those 60s recording engineers who refused to record distorted guitars because distortion wasn't something that should ever be tolerated.

New Bat for Lashes album I rather like though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hummingofevil on September 14, 2019, 01:43:47 AM
How are people finding the new Charli XCX?

It's on me but despite already reading the tracklisting I was expecting all new songs so felt a bit stumped by the hits being so prevelant (kinda took me out of the flow of the record - like Mossad torture techniques - look it up). Which are all good to great. I'm more interested by the new tracks and there seems to be a few ballads on there which takes a bit to get my ear in (it's the furthest removed from music I "get" as possible) but on first listen White Mercedes and I Don't Want To Know are epic.

Will need a few more listens yet.

My hot take initial thought is that I want a Charli album produced by Lone.

Good idea, Re: Lone, but the HAIM collab was awful for reason given above

purlieu

Will be grabbing the new Charli next week. Looking forward to it, although still disappointed that some of my favourite singles aren't on it.

Not listened to the new TS. Didn't like any of the singles on any level, nor did I really like Reputation, so I just haven't bothered.

purlieu

Charli is overall a lot less poppy than I expected. Seems like a fairly intentional decision, too - 'After the Afterparty', 'Boys', '5 in the Morning', 'Focus', 'No Angel' and 'Girls Night Out' were all left off for a reason. I suppose I was expecting something more along those lines, so stuff like '2099' and 'Shake It' really surprised me. Going to take a few listens, I think, it's definitely her least direct record, but I'm sure it'll be worth pursuing as I certainly enjoyed a lot of it.

hummingofevil

This is just fucking brillant on every level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkk9gvTmCXY

I can see how her embracing of LGBTQ+ imagery might be a bit forced (and it's far from the best TUNE on the album) but as a thing it it is fucking excellent. I approve.

Can we all just like Taylor Swift please?

hummingofevil

Quote from: purlieu on September 20, 2019, 03:15:38 PM
Charli is overall a lot less poppy than I expected. Seems like a fairly intentional decision, too - 'After the Afterparty', 'Boys', '5 in the Morning', 'Focus', 'No Angel' and 'Girls Night Out' were all left off for a reason. I suppose I was expecting something more along those lines, so stuff like '2099' and 'Shake It' really surprised me. Going to take a few listens, I think, it's definitely her least direct record, but I'm sure it'll be worth pursuing as I certainly enjoyed a lot of it.

My instinct is that it just annoyed me. It is an ANNOYING record. Even the tracks I like ANNOYED me. I want to like her more than she deserves.

Charli is a weird one where I find her endlessly likeable (whether it is seeing her live - which I did - and she was loads of fun - and a brilliant presence - or her  full-of-her-own-shit-Twittter account) but ultimately, on record, she doesn't deliver. She boasts of being the best pop artist in the world but, on the basis of this record, she just a pop Gallagher brother.

Charli XCX - the woke OASIS - WOASIS

hummingofevil

TBF the comparison works that I'm not denying OASIS had tunes.

purlieu

Listening to the album again, currently on '1999' and I really do think I'd prefer all those earlier songs to be on the record, I think she does pure pop a lot better than experimental stuff. But I'd take this album over any record Taylor Swift has released. I'll have a listen to Lover later just to confirm this.

edit: I was really hoping the Japanese version of Charli would have some of the earlier singles on, but looks like the bonus tracks are just remixes. Bah.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm becoming a bit obsessed with Santigold.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 21, 2019, 11:59:19 AM
I'm becoming a bit obsessed with Santigold.

Oh yes. Never heard of her before but had a dig tonight and I approve.  So thanks. Just saying... but she is the same age as Fletcher is in the first series of Porridge (two years older than me right now). We need more middle aged pop stars.

I'm guessing Charli is a "fan"

The YouTube algorithm has sent me to Little Dragon. Oh this is lovely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0TbT5rnqk

hummingofevil

And speaking of YouTube algorithms. This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RecY5iZn6B0

Is this the actual Chaka Khan making new tunes? It's awesome.

Ha ha. I've hit repeat half a dozen times. I'm beaming. What a tune.

hummingofevil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9SGYBHY0qs

Fuck me. Why have I not heard this before?

( Checks previous posts... probably has posted about this before... but... fuck me.. greatest song of last decade...).

I can't tell you how much I like my amazing headphones.

shit; it that Elon Musk's girlfriend?

hummingofevil

I wanna pull her beautiful ears gently and fly a space ship to the Moon.*

*Is what Elon Musk might say.

bgmnts

I'm not being a sarcy cunt here but I could barely understand any word there beyond violence. Is that the point or her style or something?

Also was there an actual nude woman lying down there at the bottom?

hummingofevil

Quote from: bgmnts on October 06, 2019, 02:00:09 AM
I'm not being a sarcy cunt here but I could barely understand any word there beyond violence. Is that the point or her style or something?

Be that cunt! :) I have no idea. I just fucking love the vibe of it. I've never really been a lyrics person anyway.

But as you asked:

[Chorus]
I am like, begging for you baby
Makes you wanna party, wanna wake up
Baby it's violence, violence
Baby it's violence
You can't see what I see
You can't see what I see
'Cause you, ha, ha
You feed off hurting me, off hurting me
Oh, me, oh, me, oh

[Verse]
You wanna make me bad, make me bad
And I like it like that, and I like it like that
You wanna make me bad, pay me back
Said, "I like it like that", said, "I like it like that"
You wanna make me bad, make me bad
You wanna make me bad, pay me back

[Bridge]
You wanna make me, make me
Make me, make me, make me, make me
You wanna, pay me, pay me
Pay me back, pay me back

bgmnts

Not a fan of contemp pop but it does definitely have a good vibe.

hummingofevil

Quote from: bgmnts on October 06, 2019, 02:09:49 AM
Not a fan of contemp pop but it does definitely have a good vibe.

When Cocteau Twins and Burial are filtered into a pop tune. That my take... but I'm off to listen to Some Girls by Rachel Stevens about 30 times in a row with a bottle of prosescco. I'm such a pissed cliche.

Edit: lies. I need to watch those dance videos in the k-pop thread first.

I've gone into that zone. I'm watching UFC but hit repeat on Grimes for last 3 hours. I must have listened to it about 50 times. it's fucking incredible. Can't get passed fact she is loaded mind. All the dancers are fucking amazing but are all "hard-bodies" (I wish I was)... I just hope they are paid well enough by Musks' billions... I hope they are... they deserve it.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: bgmnts on October 06, 2019, 02:00:09 AM

'Nude Corpse: Hana'

hummingofevil

I still want to hate ME! but my god so many aspects of this are EPIC. https://youtu.be/bqOfdv9i4sE I've been back teaching and playing up my Taylor Swift standom to kids and, therefore, I love her more than ever. If being a Taylor stan means I have to tolerate this then fine.*

*Im not gay and have always worked in proper working class schools but coincidentally the schools I used to work in, no matter how shit, where really proactive with anti-homophobia stuff; my current school is fucking rough, but the kids are generally lovely, but it's noticable how much they use "GAY" as an insult.

So I am fightling a battle, a winning battle that we are winning... we will win..I drop TS lyrics into my lessons... the half dozen obviously gay kids who get the references; they know.  I love the Swift so they have started coming to my room at lunchtime for a chat. Safe space blah blah... we don't talk about it. Just chat TS no pressure. That link is awesome.

hummingofevil

For you all who still refuse to open up your soul to the evil that is The Swift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVY8I46dkb0

Man. A crowd of kids, adults, fans and pop stars all worshiping at the alter of awesomeness. I get it if you DONT WANT TO LIKE her but she objectively brilliant.

She is adored. I still reserve fact that Lizzo kicks her arse but Lizzo hasn't (yet) reached Springsteen levels of being able to boss mega crowds (she will).

hummingofevil

Oh BTW. Saw Sigrid Live again this week. Her festival sets are better by virtue of her not having to pad out into an 80 min set with the slow ones but no-one has more pop belters than Sigrid. And I fucking love CRJ. Sigrid's 10 best tunes are up there with anyone, nevermind anyone who has only released on album.

Watching her again reminded me, weirdly of Nirvana Nevermind. The blueprint is obvious enough but she just has the pop hooks that make her tracks the TUNES!

hummingofevil

I hesisitate to post this as Carly Rae live never quite seems kick arse as much as her recorded output; which is weird as live in Primavera the SOUND was awesome. But here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVY8I46dkb0

When you hear these recordings the band are nice. NICE. But it loses the electronic boom vibe of the albums. It's all a bit flat. But genuinely, whether it was a bit of backing track magic or the brilliance of the Primavera sound systems (best sound systems in the world) it's just a bit.. lacking. But she is fucking ace live.

Pauline Walnuts

Really liking Georgia's more pop direction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Y9V07wry4

The first album wasn't like this was it?

purlieu

On the whole I found the new Georgia album pretty disappointing: Started Out, About Work the Dancefloor, Never Let You Go and The Thrill are undeniable bangers, but the rest is mostly kind of 'sassy' mid tempo stuff that doesn't do much for me. Still a keeper for those four, but not the album I was hoping for.

Pauline Walnuts

Oh. I'm still waiting for it, I obviously pre-ordered it with something else and I'm too mean to pay for individual postage.

Norton Canes

hummingofevil

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 21, 2020, 04:38:13 PM
Really loving 'Guadalupe' by Angelica Garcia

Oh I really like that. (Edit: Fuck me... yes... All of her stuff is ace. Great shout... Wow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbCJIxoyxwc Fucking AWESOME.

So I'll trade you. I have been listening to loads of Rina Sawaya but that covered eleswhere on here so have Post Precious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwxQ567um7Y

hummingofevil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlpmUA2G5OU

Fuck me. She really is perfect. Check this one out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlpmUA2G5OU

I loathe that Reggaeton beat but I will forgive her.

(If you were asking I've spent the two hours between the last two posts cleaning the oven).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbCJIxoyxwc&list=RDzbCJIxoyxwc&index=1

I refuse to go to bed as I just keep hitting replay.

purlieu

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 22, 2020, 03:07:10 AM
I have been listening to loads of Rina Sawaya
I am very excited for her debut album this year.