Author Topic: You (Netflix Series)  (Read 457 times)

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
You (Netflix Series)
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:19:12 PM »
New series with your pal Dan from Gossip Girl, where your pal Dan from Gossip Girl plays a stalker cultivating the perfect relationship with his target. I was pulled in by the trailer, because I was happy to see the creepy-maudlin-cover-of-a-famous-song trailer trope has finally reached Cheap Trick: https://youtu.be/cKOhno0IMpA

Anyway, it's from the producers of Riverdale, and obviously stars a Gossip Girl lead, so you'd expect it to be in that glossy, wanky vein, all beautiful-but-tortured rich teenagers (played by adults) having gorgeously-shot sex to deal with the demons inside, but I'm actually finding it much more straightforward and interesting than that. It doesn't dance around it's premise with mysterious antihero guff; the lead guy is unambiguously a weirdo pervert. They're not trying to pitch it as moodily romantic; the show knows he's creepy, and it wants you to as well. One really lovely early subversion has the girl masturbating in full view of the street, shot really sexily - he climbs through her window, and they immediately get to that steamy teen-drama sex, very hot - only to reveal that he's just lurking in a bush outside the window, wanking as he watches her.

They're not trying to be too arsey-clever with it, either. Watching the very basic way in which he constructs relationship in his head is more interesting for the fact that it is simple. He's not a brooding Chuck Bass-type, he's just  a nice-guy bloke who's stalking a girl and convincing himself it's okay.

I'm only on episode 2. Kinda hope it's just a standalone series that wraps up rather than going five seasons too far.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:11:10 PM by BritishHobo »

Re: You (Netflix Series)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:40:17 PM »
I watched the final episode today. It was ok I thought, occasionally really interesting and sometimes really crass, but on the whole watchable.

There will be a second series.
https://www.nme.com/blogs/tv-blogs/netflix-you-release-date-cast-trailers-and-everything-we-know-so-far-2425999

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:12:29 PM »
PISS

famethrowa

• mere rhetorical frippery
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 04:31:16 AM »
Ugh. I hate it, I hate it. Mrs FT has watched the whole thing so I've been taking notes. I can appreciate it's clever and well made, but ugh so hateful. Why is a slim fit guy with amazing cheekbones cast as the stalker mentalist? Shoulda been a chinless shut-in. Anyway the whole this is just icky and annoying, but go for it.

PlanktonSideburns

• Our love can destroy this whole fucking world
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 08:16:42 AM »
But handsome blokes can often be bellenda tho?

Not seen this, but sounds like my sort of thing. Not a river dale fan but those guys seem to making some fun interesting TV between this and sabrina

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »
Main handsome cheekbones bloke is just a shit Dexter.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
Wasn't Dexter already a shit Dexter in the last few series?

Not a river dale fan but those guys seem to making some fun interesting TV between this and sabrina
So what innocent bit of kids' entertainment is this a baffling remake of?

I don't know why I'm sticking my beak in here. I have no interest in watching the show.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 01:58:09 PM »
New series with your pal Dan from Gossip Girl, where your pal Dan from Gossip Girl plays a stalker cultivating the perfect relationship with his target. I was pulled in by the trailer, because I was happy to see the creepy-maudlin-cover-of-a-famous-song trailer trope has finally reached Cheap Trick: https://youtu.be/cKOhno0IMpA

Anyway, it's from the producers of Riverdale, and obviously stars a Gossip Girl lead, so you'd expect it to be in that glossy, wanky vein, all beautiful-but-tortured rich teenagers (played by adults) having gorgeously-shot sex to deal with the demons inside, but I'm actually finding it much more straightforward and interesting than that. It doesn't dance around it's premise with mysterious antihero guff; the lead guy is unambiguously a weirdo pervert. They're not trying to pitch it as moodily romantic; the show knows he's creepy, and it wants you to as well. One really lovely early subversion has the girl masturbating in full view of the street, shot really sexily - he climbs through her window, and they immediately get to that steamy teen-drama sex, very hot - only to reveal that he's just lurking in a bush outside the window, wanking as he watches her.

They're not trying to be too arsey-clever with it, either. Watching the very basic way in which he constructs relationship in his head is more interesting for the fact that it is simple. He's not a brooding Chuck Bass-type, he's just  a nice-guy bloke who's stalking a girl and convincing himself it's okay.

I'm only on episode 2. Kinda hope it's just a standalone series that wraps up rather than going five seasons too far.
You had me at "girl masturbating in full view of the street".

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upph√§ngningspunkterna
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
You had me at "girl masturbating in full view of the street".

I need to adjust my "maximum post length willing to read" upward a bit, it seems.