Author Topic: Your life's work is in the dustbin. The Glitter Sound.  (Read 539 times)

Your life's work is in the dustbin. The Glitter Sound.
« on: January 08, 2019, 10:55:27 PM »
Spare a thought for poor old Mike Leander. Being dead he can only look down from above at his 3 number hits and numerous other top 10 singles being declared unplayable forever due to the sins of his semi-talented associate.
He was lucky in a way, he never lived to see his showcase hits (I'm The Leader of the Gang is a super-banger) snuffed out.
Any other examples of stuff that became taboo (that should still be heard)?

Maurice Yeatman

• His Reverence won't like it
Re: Your life's work is in the dustbin. The Glitter Sound.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 11:16:15 PM »
He died the year before Glitter's PC World repair job, but yes, I suspect his association with Glitter has unfortunately obscured his reputation and meant he doesn't get enough praise or even biographical info about him these days. He worked with a wide variety of artists, had his own orchestra, and famously did the superb arrangement on She's Leaving Home in George Martin's absence.
As well as co-writing (95%), arranging and producing, he also played all the instruments on the Glitter hits, except the brass.

Brundle-Fly

• I'm so Avant-garden variety
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:34:51 AM »
Imagine how the remaining members of lostprophets must feel? Watkins seemed even more depraved than Glitter (although it's not a pissing contest obv) They are not dead and still relatively young. There is a faint eggy whiff of suspicion that hangs over them suggesting that they must have had an inkling what their frontman was up to. Finally, their music doesn't even register now whereas Glitter's music will still echo in people's heads for some time yet. Although I gather Rock & Roll Part 2 is gradually disappearing from U.S. sporting events by dint of being old fashioned rather than its dark association.

Funcrusher

• Been shot up more times than Tom Mix
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »
I'd never actually heard of lostprophets until the paedo stuff came out and it's still they only thing I know about them.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:50:24 AM »
Imagine how the remaining members of lostprophets must feel? Watkins seemed even more depraved than Glitter (although it's not a pissing contest obv) They are not dead and still relatively young. There is a faint eggy whiff of suspicion that hangs over them suggesting that they must have had an inkling what their frontman was up to. Finally, their music doesn't even register now whereas Glitter's music will still echo in people's heads for some time yet. Although I gather Rock & Roll Part 2 is gradually disappearing from U.S. sporting events by dint of being old fashioned rather than its dark association.

Glitter Band songs are good though and Lostprophets just dull generic metal, so that would have happened anyway.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »
He worked with a wide variety of artists, had his own orchestra, and famously did the superb arrangement on She's Leaving Home in George Martin's absence.

*instantly bins Sgt Pepper LP*

ALWAYS KNEW THE MAN FROM THE MOTOR TRADE WAS A PAEDO

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 12:41:32 PM »
Didn't some of Lostprophets try and form another band (with a different name of course)?

Edit; They did https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Devotion They basically replaced Watkins, but it doesn't look like it was that successful.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:14:50 PM by icehaven »