Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:09:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your life's work is in the dustbin. The Glitter Sound.

Started by pupshaw, January 08, 2019, 10:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pupshaw

Spare a thought for poor old Mike Leander. Being dead he can only look down from above at his 3 number hits and numerous other top 10 singles being declared unplayable forever due to the sins of his semi-talented associate.
He was lucky in a way, he never lived to see his showcase hits (I'm The Leader of the Gang is a super-banger) snuffed out.
Any other examples of stuff that became taboo (that should still be heard)?

Maurice Yeatman

He died the year before Glitter's PC World repair job, but yes, I suspect his association with Glitter has unfortunately obscured his reputation and meant he doesn't get enough praise or even biographical info about him these days. He worked with a wide variety of artists, had his own orchestra, and famously did the superb arrangement on She's Leaving Home in George Martin's absence.
As well as co-writing (95%), arranging and producing, he also played all the instruments on the Glitter hits, except the brass.

Brundle-Fly

Imagine how the remaining members of lostprophets must feel? Watkins seemed even more depraved than Glitter (although it's not a pissing contest obv) They are not dead and still relatively young. There is a faint eggy whiff of suspicion that hangs over them suggesting that they must have had an inkling what their frontman was up to. Finally, their music doesn't even register now whereas Glitter's music will still echo in people's heads for some time yet. Although I gather Rock & Roll Part 2 is gradually disappearing from U.S. sporting events by dint of being old fashioned rather than its dark association.

Funcrusher

I'd never actually heard of lostprophets until the paedo stuff came out and it's still they only thing I know about them.

jobotic

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 09, 2019, 10:34:51 AM
Imagine how the remaining members of lostprophets must feel? Watkins seemed even more depraved than Glitter (although it's not a pissing contest obv) They are not dead and still relatively young. There is a faint eggy whiff of suspicion that hangs over them suggesting that they must have had an inkling what their frontman was up to. Finally, their music doesn't even register now whereas Glitter's music will still echo in people's heads for some time yet. Although I gather Rock & Roll Part 2 is gradually disappearing from U.S. sporting events by dint of being old fashioned rather than its dark association.

Glitter Band songs are good though and Lostprophets just dull generic metal, so that would have happened anyway.

Replies From View

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on January 08, 2019, 11:16:15 PM
He worked with a wide variety of artists, had his own orchestra, and famously did the superb arrangement on She's Leaving Home in George Martin's absence.

*instantly bins Sgt Pepper LP*

ALWAYS KNEW THE MAN FROM THE MOTOR TRADE WAS A PAEDO

Icehaven

Didn't some of Lostprophets try and form another band (with a different name of course)?

Edit; They did https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Devotion They basically replaced Watkins, but it doesn't look like it was that successful.