Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:58:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs with a fundamentally flawed premise

Started by Twed, January 09, 2019, 11:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

I feel like this is probably already a thread. Sorry, to duplicate but I know Neil likes new threads over monolithic monsters anyway.

Pink - Just Like A Pill

I like this song because the melody is pretty and Pink (P!nk?) is defiantly vulnerable within. However, it is a steaming pile of shit conceptually.

Quote"You're just like a pill, 'steada making me better you keep making me ill"

So not like a pill at all then. You can't just compare somebody to something with the proviso that you exude none of its qualities. Let me do one:

"You're just like a postcard from Margate, except that instead of invoking nostalgia for the seaside town you simply don't."

Okay, some pills do make you sick, but that's not really standard and then it's still on the level of "you're like a meal... that upset my stomach". Actually, that's fine.

Maybe this is all going to be fine.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Twed on January 09, 2019, 11:03:47 AM

Pink - Just Like A Pill

I like this song because the melody is stolen from "The Land Of Make Believe" by Bucks Fizz

FTFY.
Also:
[tag] Ed Byrne enters thread witha real doozy of a contribution to make [tag]

Funcrusher

It's comparing a dysfunctional relationship to big pharma.

Jerzy Bondov

Isn't it supposed to be a bad pill, like a pill of illegal drugs? She's overdosed and had a bad trip on a naughty pill, poor moo.

Twed

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 09, 2019, 11:21:54 AM
It's comparing a dysfunctional relationship to big pharma.
It's not, it's comparing it to a pill!

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 09, 2019, 11:56:19 AM
Isn't it supposed to be a bad pill, like a pill of illegal drugs? She's overdosed and had a bad trip on a naughty pill, poor moo.
I don't think so, the song is full of metaphors about life support and nurses and things. But to be fair the metaphors are mixed (she mentions a bad trip).

She should have called the song "Just Like A Pill (Of Illegal Drugs)" if that's what she meant.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

She could have just called the song "Antiplacebo", of course.

buzby

Quote from: Twed on January 09, 2019, 12:01:44 PM
I don't think so, the song is full of metaphors about life support and nurses and things. But to be fair the metaphors are mixed (she mentions a bad trip).

She should have called the song "Just Like A Pill (Of Illegal Drugs)" if that's what she meant.
From this LA Times article:
Quote from: Pink, talking about Just Like A Pill
This was with Dallas Austin. In Miami, we wrote this. The first thing that comes to mind with this? When I used to be on drugs, I should write a song about it. When you're young, you think your ideas are so clever.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Twed on January 09, 2019, 12:01:44 PM
She's ended up in hospital from the bad drug pills, hence the nurses etc. In America, this is, so that's going to cost a pretty penny I expect.

phantom_power

Dallas Austin in Miami? How many cities can you fit in such a short sentence

Twed

Twed

Quote from: Carly SimonYou're so vain; you probably think this song is about you.
Well, it is isn't it.

(This is probably a well known trope.  Oh well, fuckitpost.)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Darles Chickens on January 09, 2019, 12:50:30 PM
Well, it is isn't it.

(This is probably a well known trope.  Oh well, fuckitpost.)

Yep, Carrie Fisher mentioned it in one of her books.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The premise works, since the subject of the song isn't named. It seems like you'd have to be paranoid, rather than vain to assume it was about you though.

Crowded House sang 'Everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you.'  Manifestly untrue, as when you go somewhere else, the weather doesn't change to what it was like in the last place you were.

They weren't singing about you.

You're so vain.

They were actually talking about the singer from Travis.

It's not about me. It's an inclusive 'you' which implies that each listener is followed about from place to place by certain weather.

It should really be 'Everywhere you go (provided that you remain within the troposphere) you will experience the climatic conditions which would have occurred there regardless of your presence.'

famethrowa

I should like to take issue with Elvin Bishop. In 1975, he informed us that he "must have been through about a million girls". Impressive yes, but will it bear mathematical scrutiny? Mr Bishop was 33 at the time. Let's assume he commenced his sexual career at the age of 16 (no funny business here, ok) so that means he has had 17 years in which to pursue his gruesome deeds. That divides to a dehydrating 58,823 girls per year, which again resolves to 161 girls/day, and ~7 girls per hour, assuming Elves was "on the job" 24 hours a day. Now ignoring time for eating, sleeping, defecating, recording crap songs, "shooting the shit", and other essential pursuits, our man Mr EB has to woo his lady of the moment in a brisk 8 and a half minutes. Or let's assume a refectory period of 30 seconds, then 8 minutes to get "through" her and on to the next unfortunate candidate. Now I'm not suggesting this is impossible, but perhaps unlikely?

Icehaven

Can't let the thread get to the second page without mentioning 'Jailbreak' by Thin Lizzy. No need to explain the problem lyric for the 30,000th time though I'm sure.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

"I Am The Walrus" by The Beatles.

Well, I think we can all see what the problem is here.

I'm assuming that attention will eventually turn to 'Down in the Tube Station at Midnight' so have saved time by linking to its lyrics and the definitive discussion of their many confounding aspects.

https://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=33212

I'd be happy to hear any fresh takes anyone has on the key issues, eg. Why is yer man planning to sit down for curry and a bottle of wine with his wife in the early hours of the morning? Why is he buying plums from a vending machine in a tube station? What is the smell of Wormwood Scrubs and how can you specifically tell the smell of brown leather?

Soup Dogg

Should I Stay or Should I Go was presented as a difficult decision between trouble and twice as much trouble. Not exactly a headscratcher.

famethrowa

Quote from: Soup Dogg on January 09, 2019, 02:03:56 PM
Should I Stay or Should I Go was presented as a difficult decision between trouble and twice as much trouble. Not exactly a headscratcher.

Yes but I remember this being discussed in Viz, the singer is obviously a punk and would therefore relish the idea of "trouble".

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 09, 2019, 11:56:19 AM
Similarly, there is Oasis' Champagne Supernova featuring the line, "Slowly Walking Down the Hall, Faster than a cannonball."

Yes, it's nonsense, but it works perfectly well as a metaphor for being on the drugs.

Not that it matters. The rest of the song is guff anyway.

Soup Dogg

Quote from: famethrowa on January 09, 2019, 02:12:15 PM
Yes but I remember this being discussed in Viz, the singer is obviously a punk and would therefore relish the idea of "trouble".

Then it's still an easy decision.

Crabwalk

'Candle in the Wind'. Why are you singing directly to this woman? She is dead and cannot hear you.

<tag>pedantic sixth formers argue with pub bores thread</tag>

ajsmith2

Quote from: famethrowa on January 09, 2019, 01:52:50 PM
I should like to take issue with Elvin Bishop. In 1975, he informed us that he "must have been through about a million girls". Impressive yes, but will it bear mathematical scrutiny? Mr Bishop was 33 at the time. Let's assume he commenced his sexual career at the age of 16 (no funny business here, ok) so that means he has had 17 years in which to pursue his gruesome deeds. That divides to a dehydrating 58,823 girls per year, which again resolves to 161 girls/day, and ~7 girls per hour, assuming Elves was "on the job" 24 hours a day. Now ignoring time for eating, sleeping, defecating, recording crap songs, "shooting the shit", and other essential pursuits, our man Mr EB has to woo his lady of the moment in a brisk 8 and a half minutes. Or let's assume a refectory period of 30 seconds, then 8 minutes to get "through" her and on to the next unfortunate candidate. Now I'm not suggesting this is impossible, but perhaps unlikely?

Last line made me lol.

daf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 09, 2019, 02:22:39 PM
Similarly, there is Oasis' Champagne Supernova featuring the line, "Slowly Walking Down the Hall, Faster than a cannonball."

I always picture it as a big iron medicine ball rolling along the floor - pretty easy to overtake really.