Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:12:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids in the Hall

Started by bigfatheart, January 09, 2019, 11:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfatheart

I've just finished reading the Kids in the Hall biography, rewatched a few old episodes and thought I'd start a general Kids in the Hall thread. I know there's a few fans on here.

Anyone else read the book? It's a fun read, nothing massively revelatory but there's some interesting insights into their backgrounds, various bust-ups, etc. I didn't realise how much the show seemed to be constantly on the verge of cancellation, it seems a miracle they made it to five seasons, and while I knew Brain Candy had been a slog to make, seeing it all spelled out in one place drives home what a miracle it is that it's so good.

Any thoughts? Favourite/least favourite/most underrated sketches? Favourite members? Anything?

Here's a picture of Dave Foley in drag for your delectation.

Lordofthefiles

Must've watched this a hundred times.
Loved it since the first broadcast.

"Face it Ray, you're a Girl Drink Drunk"

https://youtu.be/jzfihVLm_Uc

Icehaven

I absolutely loved it when it was broadcast on C4 in the mid 90s, it's one of my favourite and formative comedy programmes (along with Vic Reeves Big Night Out and Paul Merton's sketch show) from my taste-forming early teens (and I was a bit obsessed with David Foley, although when he looked a bit more male than he does there though... ) I've not really re-watched it much apart from the odd sketch on Youtube but given I was quite young then I still remember fair, but completely random, chunks of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoTOkoMBnYo

Still think of this often when eating cereal.

Icehaven

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on January 09, 2019, 07:54:59 PM

Again, always think of this when seeing drinks with umbrellas etc.

Edit; Bloody hell, that's got the end credits on too, there's some serious nostalgia.

bigfatheart

Two great sketches! I think my favourite's Kidnapped. One of those sketches that works because of how seriously they play everything.

Quote from: icehaven on January 09, 2019, 09:30:23 PM
Edit; Bloody hell, that's got the end credits on too, there's some serious nostalgia.

According to the book Lorne Michaels wanted a big brass section, a la Saturday Night Live. Seems almost unimaginable having Kids in the Hall with any other music.

non capisco

Absolutely loved 'Kids In The Hall' when it was on Channel 4 in the mid 90s, especially seeing as me and my mate Keith were the only people in our school who watched it and those kind of secret cultish treasures matter more to you for that exclusivity at that age.

I recently saw the 1997 Dave Foley film 'The Wrong Guy' for the first time and was blown away by how consistently funny it is, such an underrated film and every bit the equal of the early Steve Martin/Carl Reiner films like 'The Man With Two Brains' that it resembles. Well worth seeking out if you haven't seen it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: non capisco on January 09, 2019, 10:38:26 PM

I recently saw the 1997 Dave Foley film 'The Wrong Guy' for the first time and was blown away by how consistently funny it is, such an underrated film and every bit the equal of the early Steve Martin/Carl Reiner films like 'The Man With Two Brains' that it resembles. Well worth seeking out if you haven't seen it.

Yep, seen it a couple of times, excellent film, right up the street of yer average CABber " That's not your name. You're just making that up."  ( or something like that , quoting from memory).
The last two series of KITH were a bit too try hard, and tried to make a couple of characters, like that gay feller that Scott Whatsisface played,  into tropey " Fast Show"  types, which is a birrova shame : (

Icehaven

SteveDave

Quote from: non capisco on January 09, 2019, 10:38:26 PM

Man alive, you're not wrong about "The Wrong Guy" I've laughed more in the first 15 minutes than I have at any other comedy I've seen in ages.

BeardFaceMan

One thing I noticed about the Kids is how little they had endings to their sketches. A lot of them never really had proper endings, they would just carry on talking as the studio audience lost their shit. The audience cheering and a musical sting was the ending to a lot of their sketches in place of a punchline or a cutaway.It gave some of the sketches a feeling of dipping in and out of a bigger scene rather than watching a self contained sketch with a beginning and an end. Jolly good show.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on January 09, 2019, 07:54:59 PM
Must've watched this a hundred times.
Loved it since the first broadcast.

"No Ray, no 'splanation's necessary". Brilliant.

I've always loved The Pear Dream, The Dave's I Know, My Pen!! The David Lynch style marijuana and deal with the devil mini film. And of course Gavin. Among others of course. Buddy Cole is great too.

the

Mentioned this before, but this is my favourite KITH sketch, and one of my favourite sketches from anything ever:

Car Ride

Every line and moment of it is fucking glorious.

SteveDave

For some reason (lost to time) I've got an mp3 of the "YOU THANKED HITLER!" sketch on my iPod. It always brings a chuckle to my face whenever it surfaces.

Lordofthefiles

Watched The Wrong Guy last night, somehow it had passed me by all these years.
A thoroughly enjoyable romp in the style of an elongated KITH sketch.

"What's your name?",
"Erm... EnemaBag... Jones"

Wonderful!!

pigamus

Oh, I thought this was the one.. you know, it had that bloke in it, and in the end they replaced him with Billy Connolly.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The beginning of The Wrong Guy, when he's in the office with the dead body, the knife and the blood is also hysterical, and a great Hitchcock parody.

I also loved all the stuff about Jennifer Tilly's brother, the evil farmer who wants to close the bank, the theory about the death of JFK, all the investigative work by the cop and the photograph Dave always carries in his wallet.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on January 14, 2019, 03:02:52 PM
The beginning of The Wrong Guy, when he's in the office with the dead body, the knife and the blood is also hysterical, and a great Hitchcock parody.

I also loved all the stuff about Jennifer Tilly's brother, the evil farmer who wants to close the bank, the theory about the death of JFK, all the investigative work by the cop and the photograph Dave always carries in his wallet.

Ha!
Yeah, the "how many shooters were there at the assassination... None. JFK's head just DID that" had me creased.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on January 14, 2019, 03:02:52 PM

And the cop going to restaurants, lapdancing bars and a broadway show with a prostitute in the pursuit of leads. The bit at the end where he's in a camper van having a shower and finally gets to the scene on a mobility scooter complete with the previous occupant's candy floss was excellent.

SteveDave

"That was...jazz...some sort of jazz. I'm not the DJ but I'm doing my best "

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 16, 2019, 03:23:59 PM
And the cop going to restaurants, lapdancing bars and a broadway show with a prostitute in the pursuit of leads. The bit at the end where he's in a camper van having a shower and finally gets to the scene on a mobility scooter complete with the previous occupant's candy floss was excellent.

That was exactly what I implied by "all the investigative work." And the Broadway show is "Moby – The Musical", a Moby Dick adaptation.

I adored the scene with Jennifer Tilly in her nightgown, where Foley consistently asks her to make one more step, because she would be just in front of a light and he could see her full silhouette. Or when he's supposed to fix the white fences on the property. This movie has so many great small moments...