Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glasgow Comedy Festival, March 2019

Started by Blinder Data, January 09, 2019, 02:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

This is happening again

http://www.glasgowcomedyfestival.com/

This is a list of people who I am interested in seeing but will probably forget to book tickets for (again)

Tony Law
Lou Sanders
Desiree Burch

Sadowitz tempts me but it's a big theatre so eh, maybe not

Any other recommendations from the stand-up savvy on here?

(I'm actually more interested in seeing Kieran Hodgson, Jessie Cave and Kiri Pritchard-McLean who are performing at the Stand in the weeks/months before/after the festival tbh)

Malcy

Got a few shows lined up.

Jack Docherty
Rich Hall
Paul Sinha
Justin Moorhouse

Wanted to go see Rab Florence do his Biscuity Boyle show again but it's on the same night as Jack Docherty. Seen both shows but plumped for Jack Docherty because it was really good at the Fringe. I'd recommend it. Does his Scot Squad character and McGlashan from Absolutely.

Cuntbeaks

Nothing wrong with Sadowitz at the Kings. Seen him there twice, laughter guaranteed.

CaledonianGonzo

I see Larry Dean's now officially in the big league, at least locally.

Otherwise I saw all these last year at the fringe and they're good / worth a punt without being unmissable:

Garret Millerick
John-Luke Roberts
Olga Koch
Sara Barron

I'd also go and see Tom Parry on the strength of his Yellow T-Shirt show.

CaledonianGonzo

Sebastian Cobb

Purchased before they sell out:

Tony Law
Zaltzman
David Kay

Maybe:
Sadowitz (bit steep)
Moorhouse
Rab Florence
Munnery (is this the same show he did at Edinburgh last year?)
Waiting for Godot play

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 09, 2019, 07:38:58 PM
Purchased before they sell out:

Tony Law
Zaltzman
David Kay

Maybe:
Sadowitz (bit steep)
Moorhouse
Rab Florence
Munnery (is this the same show he did at Edinburgh last year?)
Waiting for Godot play

Defo go to Rab Florence. Great show.

Limmy has added 2 more dates. I missed the bank to put money in so hoping they don't sell out by the morning!

Sebastian Cobb

I saw the limmy one, but like all his book stuff it seems a bit steep as well imo.

Malcy

Got my Limmy ticket. Luckily I checked the dates of other shows as I nearly booked him for the same day as Paul Sinha.

All the shows I'm going to are on consecutive days which will make for a good week. Still holding out hope I'll manage to get a ticket for Al Murray at the Stand. Just missed out on a ticket.

Blinder Data

Is Desiree Burch kind of a big deal that I've missed? Because £12 for a preview upstairs at the Old Hairdresser's feels steep

CaledonianGonzo

Aye. She's on the up and up. I think it's due to The Mash Report.

Quisby

I'm kind of curious about Jasper Carrott (assumed he'd retired)  but not enough to pay £30 plus to see what seems to be half a musical show with the Bev Bevan Band.

So went for some smaller and cheaper options, mainly people I missed at the Fringe this year:

Sofie Hagen
Lou Sanders
Simon Munnery
John Kearns
Olga Koch
Garrett Millerick
Ben Target
John-Luke Roberts

Not convinced some of the venues will be that great for comedy - don't like the Hug and Pint even for bands because the stage is at floor level and if its busy you can't see anything. And The Empty Space used to be a tiny gallery in Finnieston. Must be a really small capacity. I hope there will be chairs.

Malcy

That's me all booked up now.

Justin Moorhouse
Limmy
Paul Sinha
Jack Docherty
Biscuity Boyle

And possibly Al Murray if a ticket becomes available. There's a few others i might go to if there's still tickets nearer the time but happy with my line up. Saw Biscuity Boyle & Jack Docherty's shows last year and really enjoyed them so really glad to be seeing them again.

Bronzy

Just booked all the shows I'm going to for this.

Paul Sinha
Justin Moorhouse
Tony Law
Jerry Sadowitz

It was a difficult choice not to go see Rich hall as he was doing the dates Moorhouse and Law were performing, but I decided to go for them as paying around £22 in total for the both of them is probably better value for money than shelling out nearly £19 for just Hall.

Malcy

Quote from: Bronzy on February 12, 2019, 01:40:50 AM
Just booked all the shows I'm going to for this.

Paul Sinha
Justin Moorhouse
Tony Law
Jerry Sadowitz

It was a difficult choice not to go see Rich hall as he was doing the dates Moorhouse and Law were performing, but I decided to go for them as paying around £22 in total for the both of them is probably better value for money than shelling out nearly £19 for just Hall.

I decided against Rich Hall for the a similar reason. Sinha was £12 and i got a £5 dole scum ticket for Moorhouse so it was a no brainer. I may yet go to Hall but it will be if i have the cash and there's a ticket available.

Still no word on an Al Murray ticket. I'm on the list though and may even pop along to The Stand on the night in the hope there's a no show ticket available.

Malcy

Moorhouse tonight. Anyone been to anything else yet?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Malcy on March 16, 2019, 12:40:11 PM
Moorhouse tonight. Anyone been to anything else yet?

I saw Tony Law last night. It was decent.

Which Boyle are you going to?

I'd forgot about Moorhouse, looks like they still have tickets and I was probably going to go for a couple of pints round that way anyway. Fuck it, off I go.

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 16, 2019, 12:54:56 PM
I saw Tony Law last night. It was decent.

Which Boyle are you going to?

I'd forgot about Moorhouse, looks like they still have tickets and I was probably going to go for a couple of pints round that way anyway. Fuck it, off I go.

27th for Biscuity Boyle. Yeah don't think Moorhouse is sold out. Pubs the best place to be today!

Sebastian Cobb

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 16, 2019, 01:07:58 PM
Yeah, I'm on the 27th and all.

I saw I last year and really looking forward to seeing it again. Apparently the show on the 27th is the last ever.

Quisby

Saw Sofie Hagen on Thursday - the theme of the show was a lot lighter than previous ones. She's very engaging and although she seemed to coast a little at the beginning the various disparate parts came together at the end to some big laughs.

Then last night John Kearns and Lou Sanders. I knew nothing about John Kearns. He wears a daft wig and false teeth which suggested there might be some clowning but the material seemed more conventionally stand up and fairly non-descript. It was a work in progress so lots of note checking and audience chat, particularly to one over talkative guy. He went down well in the room but left me baffled as to why he has a good rep.

Then Lou Sanders - I'd only heard her on RHLSTP on which she was really annoying, talking new agey shite. But this show - Shame Pig, which I think was her Edinburgh show last year - was great - lots of big laughs, series themes that don't undermine the comedy, a few interesting little staging flourishes that don't overwhelm the show. I was impressed. She does talk a bit about new agey stuff but in a pretty self-aware and self-deprecating manner. Now going to see her work in progress later on today.

Oh and the tiny metal stools that pass for seating in the Hug and Pint are literally a pain in the arse.

Malcy

I really enjoyed Moorhouse tonight. Tried to go for a few pints before the show but Dram & The Doublet were full of loud rugby fans and TVs showing the shite.

I'd definitely go see him again next time he's near. Well worth a fiver. Would have payed full price no bother as well but the wageless ticket was both handy and much appreciated.

Sebastian Cobb

I enjoyed moorhouse. The doublet was indeed packed. Gone back there now but I'll be leaving soon I reckon.

Malcy

I didn't even think the Doublet had TVs so had went there in hope of a quiet one before. Nope. Went to the Stand when it opened instead.

I've never seen the Doublet busy before so was a bit surprised.

Quisby

Lou Sanders work in progress - you really need to have some work to present before you can do a work in progress. She had a few things on a bit of paper which she read out but there was little in the way of substance or indeed gags. The theme of the show was apparently "context" but there was nothing to suggest anything beyond a few ideas quickly jotted down. It might be that she's facing the problem as an autobiographical comedian that she's lost the source of the bulk of her material - she's now tee total and single so has no embarrassing stories about sex and alcohol. I think she could mine the new age stuff a bit more -  I don't know of anyone else who is doing material about that which isn't just  a sneering  reiki is daft kind of thing.

If I hadn't seen her proper show the night before I would have dismissed her as someone who relies on charm to get by without material. Was quite relieved that she didn't do the full hour and  finished after 40 minutes. She's got a lot of work to do in the next few months to have anything like a show ready for Edinburgh.

Malcy

Quote from: Quisby on March 17, 2019, 03:06:00 PM
Lou Sanders work in progress - you really need to have some work to present before you can do a work in progress. She had a few things on a bit of paper which she read out but there was little in the way of substance or indeed gags. The theme of the show was apparently "context" but there was nothing to suggest anything beyond a few ideas quickly jotted down. It might be that she's facing the problem as an autobiographical comedian that she's lost the source of the bulk of her material - she's now tee total and single so has no embarrassing stories about sex and alcohol. I think she could mine the new age stuff a bit more -  I don't know of anyone else who is doing material about that which isn't just  a sneering  reiki is daft kind of thing.

If I hadn't seen her proper show the night before I would have dismissed her as someone who relies on charm to get by without material. Was quite relieved that she didn't do the full hour and  finished after 40 minutes. She's got a lot of work to do in the next few months to have anything like a show ready for Edinburgh.

Haven't heard of her. I tend to go to people I know of more than folk i don't. There's a few I've almost went to because I've been nearby and they've been on then looked up later and been glad i didn't go. Was the proper show any good?

Paul Sinha tomorrow night at The Stand. On a side note has anyone ever drank the house beer in there? I had one at Gary Delaney a few months ago and it wasn't bad but the second pint sent me for a 10 minute vomit in the bogs. Was really ill afterwards.

Quisby

Aye her proper show was good. Review earlier on in this thread.

My mate who works in a pub will only drink beer from bottles when he's out boozing.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Malcy on March 17, 2019, 03:55:08 PM
Haven't heard of her. I tend to go to people I know of more than folk i don't. There's a few I've almost went to because I've been nearby and they've been on then looked up later and been glad i didn't go. Was the proper show any good?

Paul Sinha tomorrow night at The Stand. On a side note has anyone ever drank the house beer in there? I had one at Gary Delaney a few months ago and it wasn't bad but the second pint sent me for a 10 minute vomit in the bogs. Was really ill afterwards.

I was going to mention how shit their beer is. It's not nice. It's never made me ill but it tastes bad and it's often flatter than a plate of piss.

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 17, 2019, 07:47:27 PM
I was going to mention how shit their beer is. It's not nice. It's never made me ill but it tastes bad and it's often flatter than a plate of piss.

Yeah the second pint went flat pretty quick. It took every part of my soul to get from the raised bit at the back of the room and navigate a sea of people to get to the toilet in time. This was while the show was on. I would have been mortified if I hadn't made it!

The Best was Ok last night but gave me a touch of heartburn. Maybe a bottle of something instead tomorrow.

Quisby

Going to see Simon Munnery at The Stand on Wednesday - maybe I should take a carry out.