Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:45:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daniel Kitson 2019

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 09, 2019, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is also a request for the link.

typeforty

Could I be tedious and also request the link please? :)

up_the_hampipe

Don't suppose anyone has any recordings from his US shows? I know he's done a bunch of shows with Eugene Mirman over the years.

rakehell

May I please also request the link. Just saw Keep in Melbourne and was reminded how brilliant DK is. I have a few things I can upload, but they'll likely already be there.

I am seeing Keep again, could try a sneaky bootleg, would an iphone give an even half-way decent result, hmmmm?

Franny Joyce

It's like in the back of private eye where people ask for money, there's no way of knowing if it works but the fact that people do it makes other people do it. Please may I have the link?

Lost Oliver

boxmatt

Quote from: Ptyx on March 23, 2019, 02:10:00 PM
I've created a Google drive thingy where I've uploaded recordings commercially not available and where anybody can add stuff.

Any chance I can have the link to this as well please?

pk1yen

And me please! (I do have a load of old bootlegs so I'll add them if I have anything not already there)

Sebastian Cobb

while you're at it(please)...

bk1234

Well if everyone is getting in on this, me too (please)

zomgmouse

I saw Keep on Sunday, fascinating to see how vastly it evolved since the trial show in Edinburgh last year. What a show. Really blown away by it.

Also I like links please send me a link

up_the_hampipe

Think the Drive has been taken down. Bummer.

Sebastian Cobb

Oh bugger, google wouldn't let me zip or download anything so I never got anything out of it.

rasta-spouse

There goes one of the best and completest collections of Kitson Gold I've ever damn seen.

Another thing, I've had the Honourable Men of Art mp3 for ages and I just can't hear anything on it. Headphones or not. Any audiophiles know how I could tweak it to make it listenable? It really bugs me because I suspect its one of those shows where Kitson prats about and weaves total magic.

RenegadeScrew

You could try using Audacity (a free audio editor).  It depends on what exactly the problem is audio-wise but it has a hum removal tool (if there is a constant room noise it might work well) and a vocal isolator.  I've never used the latter but the hum removal requires selecting a bit of the audio that has the hum only.  As such it'll probably not be feasible.

If there is a low hum or high pitched sound then you might be better trying a low pass filter or high pass filter rather than the hum removal tool.

If your MP3 is stereo you might find that the L or R channel is cleaner or has a louder Kitson.  If Kitson is barely audible in one channel then you might get joy using phase reversal.  If the noise is the same in both channels then this would remove the noise and leave a more isolated Kitson.  A lot of song vocals are "isolated" in this manner (for sampling etc) especially older songs with hard panned mixes.

If you want you can send it to me and I can have a look.  Sorry I mean listen.

boxmatt

I managed to download the following.
Shout if you have any of the missing files if anyone wants to rebuild the megadrive...

- BBC Radio Fringe Cuts (2001)
- Melbourne (2002)
- Resonance fm (2002)
- Melbourne (2003)
- Live in Hull
- Brixton - Hobgoblin (2004)
- Live at the Dancehouse (2004)

- Late 'n' Live (2007)

Mr Faineant

Can i have the link please?

Edit: oh, is it gone now?

timbuc

Any chance I could have the link please?

timbuc

Somewhat belatedly to some of the comments but having just read the entire thread in one...

I loved Keep at Battersea Arts Centre. Lots of proper belly laughs and lots of comments and observations to make me think. I liked the central conceit and the ending, whilst acknowledging he's had shows with stronger finishes. I absolutely agree it was overlong, the faffing with the cards just took too long. But it only needed a slight edit in my view (at least at the point I saw it) and was still a solid 4* show for me.

I think the reviewers giving it 2* are deliberately going for bad reviews or it simply doesn't suit their taste, either way I think they are catastrophic pricks. Sometimes comedy and art is subjective and sometimes it isn't. :-)

I agree with comments above about Brian Logan, particularly how many of his reviews contain spoilers, especially Edinburgh ones. What do we think...deliberate, or just really stupid?

Regarding the discussion about Kitson between his stand-up and (shall we say) theatre pieces. I tend to treat them as separate things. I don't think anything has ever made me laugh more or made me walk away just joyfully happy as when I've seen him doing what we've come to call in this house "Kitson Dicking About". Every time he comperes, or when we saw him at Stand 3 in (I think) 2016 which, as I recall, was booked as a work in progress but when August came round he no longer had a work in progress. So he genuinely did just dick about for 90 to 100 minutes. We were in the front row and were practically begging for respite so we could breathe again.

However, his better theatre work can still have a whole load of belly laughs and the best ones can bring a bunch of other emotions and leave me pondering shit long after I've seen it. Mouse would probably be my main example here (of the ones I've seen). Of the recent shows, I think Something Other Than Everything at the Roundhouse didn't work in this way (just felt unfinished to me when I saw it and needed a lot more work) but Keep is definitely back on track with that kind of work.

Personally I'd definitely prefer he does both kinds of work, it's just a shame and frustrating that the dicking about stuff is inherently random and can be hard to grab and book or know about when he's doing it. Disclaimer: Obviously WIP shows are also great, I just think the less structure he has, the wilder it can get.

Sorry for the waffle.

jimboslice

Can I have a link please?

The people persistently asking for links publicly are the exact reason why the Drive washed taken down. Just PM the guy who said he'd set up the Drive.

andy33

He is evidently back in the UK now and compering Sunday nights at Up The Creek. http://www.sundayspecial.co.uk. The acts are hit and miss, but Kitson invariably does some good dicking about in between.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: andy33 on April 24, 2019, 11:15:56 PM
He is evidently back in the UK now and compering Sunday nights at Up The Creek. http://www.sundayspecial.co.uk. The acts are hit and miss, but Kitson invariably does some good dicking about in between.

Compering with Nina Conti on the bill. Didn't he shit all over her act in one of his shows?

rasta-spouse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 25, 2019, 10:21:58 AM
Compering with Nina Conti on the bill. Didn't he shit all over her act in one of his shows?

"Put down the puppet and start losing friends, you chicken!"

Top stuff from the K-dog.

lankyguy95

According to her, he once told her that her act was an example of everything he hates.

DrGreggles

He compered a charity gig I saw last year and slagged off Josh Widdicombe in his intro, then brought him on, then (after Widdicombe had done pretty badly) came back on and said "Josh Widdicombe! Fine, if you like that sort of thing. I mean, I don't, but you might."

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 25, 2019, 01:25:32 PM
He compered a charity gig I saw last year and slagged off Josh Widdicombe in his intro, then brought him on, then (after Widdicombe had done pretty badly) came back on and said "Josh Widdicombe! Fine, if you like that sort of thing. I mean, I don't, but you might."

Hah, excellent. He might have been teasing. He always makes sure to slag off Stewart Lee and his act when compering a show with him on the bill.

Quote from: lankyguy95 on April 25, 2019, 10:28:55 AM
According to her, he once told her that her act was an example of everything he hates.

Bit rude that.

holyzombiejesus

He's starting 3 or 4 weeks of Resonance FM shows, starting tomorrow morning!

QuoteHello Ding Dongs.

Last year, in May, i did three or four weeks of radio shows between 7 and 9 am on the London based but globally available community arts radio station - Resonance FM. It was a lot of fun - i got to get up early, ride my bike into town, let myself into an empty building and play songs i liked or had never heard before for a couple of hours, whilst having a bit of chat in between songs like how Radio disc Jockeys do* - You get me?

Well, you'll never bloody well guess what - i'm only bloody doing it again aren't I?

Starting on Monday 6th of May (so tomorrow or later today, depending on where you are)- Monday to Friday (Not wednesdays) 7-9 am (london time, please adjust accordingly for your own needs) on Resonance FM. Im either doing three or four weeks worth - i cant remember right now.

You can find it here

https://www.resonancefm.com/

It wont be repeated or on listen again or anything - it's just happening when its happening and thats it.

GOODBYE FOREVER

*There was one day where i didn't say anything actually, apart from goodbye after two hours of banging jams - because i am constantly pushing the form/deep into some heavy vibes.

up_the_hampipe

Never listened to his Resonance shows. Is the chat any good or is it mainly about the music?

Tomsidg

Hopefully the very kind and lovely person who set up a podcast link for the show last year will do the same this year...