Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:57:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daniel Kitson 2019

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 09, 2019, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 07, 2019, 06:42:01 PM
Having been to a few super early WIPs of his, this will almost certainly be the case!

Thanks for the post holyzombiejesus, I totally missed the email. Got some tickets for late in the run, really looking forward to seeing one of the Regent's Park shows finally too. Do they have chairs or is it a sit on the floor type deal? What's the deal with rain?

It's a lovely amphitheatre. Bring a mac though.

when I went in 2015 the actual park was closed by the time the show finished and I couldn't go out the way I came in, so be prepared for that too

Armin Meiwes

Oh yeah I went to the 2015 show as well, really enjoyed it although can't actually remember a huge amount about it tho.. think he read like three stories out and the other guy played a couple of songs on his guitar or something?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 07, 2019, 06:42:01 PM
Having been to a few super early WIPs of his, this will almost certainly be the case!

Indeed it was. He's far too good at this. I'm not sure he did a single actual bit in the entire show, but it was still funnier than a lot of comics could manage with a honed Edinburgh show.

WestHill

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 08, 2019, 03:52:07 PM
Indeed it was. He's far too good at this. I'm not sure he did a single actual bit in the entire show, but it was still funnier than a lot of comics could manage with a honed Edinburgh show.

Yeah, I was there too. What a gig! Classic dicking about and being 'in the room'. The presence of an 11 year old and 15 year old really added to the crowdwork. He didn't really edit himself though. A lot of c bombs from the kdog and quite right too.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: WestHill on June 08, 2019, 04:44:25 PM
Yeah, I was there too. What a gig! Classic dicking about and being 'in the room'. The presence of an 11 year old and 15 year old really added to the crowdwork. He didn't really edit himself though. A lot of c bombs from the kdog and quite right too.

Not to mention all the gardenless women!

billyandthecloneasaurus

bit jeal i didn't get tickets for the london run, anyone got any spares?? love you bye

peanutbutter

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on June 09, 2019, 11:04:42 AM
bit jeal i didn't get tickets for the london run, anyone got any spares?? love you bye
Pretty sure they put some on sale at midday of the day of the show too sometimes. Can almost guarantee the weekday 9pm shows will have a good few free seats so you might just get in if you turn up on the night tbh

peanutbutter

Jesus, got held up this morning at 11am and by the time I got to a computer the show was sold out. I assume that's the full Regents Park tickets gone there?

Managed to get two tickets about two hours later from an absolutely atrocious viewing angle but it's better than nothing

PhyterJet

Can anyone remember any of Daniel's jokes that rhyme? like a rhyme in the punchline

I know he does it from time to time, but I can't recall any right now

hummingofevil

Quote from: PhyterJet on June 12, 2019, 02:16:26 AM
Can anyone remember any of Daniel's jokes that rhyme? like a rhyme in the punchline

I know he does it from time to time, but I can't recall any right now

There is that bit in the Brixton Academy bit about the cigar smoker being "cunt-cubed" which he then explains is alliterative and therefore funnier. Can't think of any rhymes off the top of my head. You also have his silly songs that rhyme, but then they are not really jokes.

rasta-spouse

I recall, in an old show, he said "beardy-weirdy" over and over several times as a demonstration of base level rhyme humour.

PhyterJet

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 12, 2019, 02:52:48 AM
cunt-cubed" which he then explains is alliterative and therefore funnier.
Yea... this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for, the poetic devices mainstream comedy tends to ignore (obviously not Tim Key)

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 12, 2019, 02:52:48 AM
You also have his silly songs that rhyme, but then they are not really jokes.
They are funny though, so they count... he has the "I like to fuck with my dick" song, what else?

Quote from: rasta-spouse on June 12, 2019, 02:57:58 AM
I recall, in an old show, he said "beardy-weirdy" over and over several times as a demonstration of base level rhyme humour.
did you witness this live? do you think this is available in a recording somewhere...?

ramsobot

Kitson appears in the new documentary "It Started As a Joke" about The Eugene Mirman Festival, in both talking head form and a few minutes of stand-up from the final show of the festival.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: ramsobot on June 23, 2019, 09:46:34 PM
Kitson appears in the new documentary "It Started As a Joke" about The Eugene Mirman Festival, in both talking head form and a few minutes of stand-up from the final show of the festival.

Any word on when that's going to be released? Only heard about screenings at SXSW and so on.

Ed2

Removed

Barry Admin

Sorry but I've had to remove that. I believe he has a bandcamp page with material available to buy for very little money, if you wish to support his work.

Cheers.

Edit: here it is https://danielkitson.bandcamp.com/

Ed2

Oh, that's very unfortunate, because - like I mentioned in the post - I've already bought all that is publicly available.

I am looking specifically for work that is being shared privately, which - from what I've read in this thread as well as others - is not something that Kitson himself minds, no? It is something that's been discussed all throughout this thread, so I am not entirely sure why my post was removed.

boxmatt

Did anyone get tickets to his Edinburgh shows yet?

holyzombiejesus

If anyone has a spare for any of the Liverpool shows of Keep (or can point em in the right direction to find one), I'd be very grateful.

holyzombiejesus

Just checked again and there are limited tickets available for all the nights. Only 2 or 3 in some case so hurry if you're interested.

I've got 2 together available for this Friday, can meet in town before. Double booked myself with aphex twin in Manchester same night

Junglist

Does anyone have any links to any of Kitson's 'non-commercial' work? I've been hoovering up most of the available stuff recently and need to hear more.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Shit, bit short notice, but I have a spare ticket for tomorrow night in Liverpool if anyone wants it. x

iamreverend

Saw Keep on Friday and thought it was excellent. Now going back listening to old shows.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Keep was brilliant.  Find hour long Edinburgh shows a bit touch and go at times with my week bladder and attention span so was a bit panicked when the lady checking my ticket said it was 2 hrs with no interval but it largely flew by.

I mean I would have preferred it slightly shorter but similarly I almost always come out of fringe shows thinking 45 mins would have been better than an hour, I.e  happy to accept it's my problem.

Lordofthefiles

Saw Keep last night in Newcastle and it was completely wonderful.

I went in not knowing what to expect having never seen him before.
When he started I thought he was actually going to go through the list in order.
I foresaw 2 hours of something like Krapp's Last Tape mixed with some absurd asides about household objects (and having been primed to need a piss by the piss warden at the door - wasn't keen on that premise).

What actually happened was a lovely, warm, hilarious 2 hours flew by and ended with me wanting to give DK a massive cuddle.

My missus reckons the reviews have been scathing but I really can't understand that.

hummingofevil

It's at least 30 mins too long. The no leaving rule means a sizeable number of people in the room are sitting there desperate for a piss and that is just not fun for anyone and the ending is way less clever than he thinks it is.

That said, I really enjoyed it (I never drink before shows but had I had even half a before I would have had to leave). There is loads of great stuff in it and was funnier than I expected  but it just needs a good half hour ripping out of it if there is no interval. I really like how a lot of it was biographical of his previous work (to me there was a shift form just repeating the same themes he often covers but it was more an analysis of why he was chosing those themes for his work).

A solid 7/10 from me but no more. A genius stand up doing quite good theatre.

iamcoop

Quote from: hummingofevil on October 20, 2019, 06:08:43 PM
It's at least 30 mins too long. The no leaving rule means a sizeable number of people in the room are sitting there desperate for a piss and that is just not fun for anyone and the ending is way less clever than he thinks it is.

That said, I really enjoyed it (I never drink before shows but had I had even half a before I would have had to leave). There is loads of great stuff in it and was funnier than I expected  but it just needs a good half hour ripping out of it if there is no interval. I really like how a lot of it was biographical of his previous work (to me there was a shift form just repeating the same themes he often covers but it was more an analysis of why he was chosing those themes for his work).

A solid 7/10 from me but no more. A genius stand up doing quite good theatre.

Excellent review.

I saw Keep myself in Newcastle last Thursday. What I saw of it was great.

Unfortunately I was forced to leave after about an hour and forty minutes. It was either that or literally piss myself in my seat. I knew how long it was, and had an expectation that not being allowed out to the toilets and back in again was probably on the cards so I deliberately didn't drink any alcohol beforehand, or even much liquid for a few hours previously. If I'm being completely honest, having to gather my coat knowing I would be leaving  never to come back, missing the end of a show I'd spent an hour and forty minutes investing in only to miss the ending, all for the crime of needing a quick bathroom break was quite frankly a slightly humiliating experience that left a massively sour taste in my mouth.

If anyone would be so kind as to tell me via PM what happens at the end of the show I'd be grateful.

peanutbutter

That's been a problem even at the WIPs of his I've seen the last while, by the end I would be bursting for a piss and you could tell by the huge drop in energy from the crowd that everyone is debating when to just get up and leave. Really if you're going over an hour and you're in a venue that serves alcohol, you're just fucking yourself over by not having a break in the middle.

Keep is pushing two hours, right?