Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:52:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daniel Kitson 2019

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 09, 2019, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

godber

I've got a spare ticket for tonight's Battersea, yours for free if you want it.

PhyterJet

Any chance of reviving Daniel Kitson torrents?

I've found two, one is 7 years old the other is 8. I've managed to successfully download one, but the other is stuck at 21.9% and there are no seeders anymore :(

Are there any old school fans who still have copies of his old bootleg recordings?

ali

I have four tickets for Keep for Friday night (25th) but can no longer go due to non-London funereal commitments.

If anyone has tickets for Mon 28th or Tues 29th and would be happy to swap, send me a message. I'll only actually need 2 tickets for next week, so you could have a twofer into the bargain (or cough up for the other two if you're nice and lovely). The tickets will be to collect on the night, but BAC say it wouldn't be an issue.

it's definitely too long and the Battersea Arts Centre seats aren't comfortable enough to sit in for 2 hours+ but he's rewritten it to make it flow better. It's still badly lacking something though, not enough really big laughs for me but really something else. A lack of zeal, I suppose. It feels very Kitson by the numbers without the magic. Like someone else had tried to do their own Daniel Kitson style show and almost got there

stephenjwz

saw it on tuesday. thought it was good. when you read 110 mins it sounds longer than it felt. it's not much longer than the last one (which also didn't have an interval). that one felt like probably the same amount of words or more stuffed into less time, so Keep was kind of relaxing in comparison.

I like a quiet sit down and watch a thing, am not desperate to be challenged by someone doing something drastically different from what they've done before, and don't need to get up and get that 2nd pint on a work night. so that I liked it isn't a good objective measure.

up_the_hampipe

Saw the show and I think it's been undersold by reviewers and some on here. It was a perfect blend of his strengths. I was never a huge fan of his straight storytelling pieces (the lightbulb one wasn't my thing), but this format allowed him to branch off into hilarious tangents, while still demonstrating the theatrical style he's mastered. Towards the end, it dragged, but just a little. The chairs were very uncomfortable, but that's a complaint for BAC.

It felt a bit meta, really. Not sure if that's the right word, but he seemed to be playing on the expectations of his audience and mocking his own reputation for high concept shows.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 27, 2019, 03:09:31 AM
Saw the show and I think it's been undersold by reviewers and some on here. It was a perfect blend of his strengths. I was never a huge fan of his straight storytelling pieces (the lightbulb one wasn't my thing), but this format allowed him to branch off into hilarious tangents, while still demonstrating the theatrical style he's mastered. Towards the end, it dragged, but just a little. The chairs were very uncomfortable, but that's a complaint for BAC.

It felt a bit meta, really. Not sure if that's the right word, but he seemed to be playing on the expectations of his audience and mocking his own reputation for high concept shows.

How long was it, out of interest? As I saw it on the first night and it was just under two and a half hours, but I've heard he's tightened it up since.

It was pretty much dead on 2 hours on Weds, maybe a couple of minutes over

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on January 27, 2019, 11:24:13 AM
It was pretty much dead on 2 hours on Weds, maybe a couple of minutes over

That does sound more palatable, it was only around the 2 hour point that I started to get fidgety / a little bored.

up_the_hampipe

Small Man Big Horse

Well that'll teach me to get over excited and buy tickets for the first night.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 27, 2019, 02:00:21 PM
Well that'll teach me to get over excited and buy tickets for the first night.

Typical SMBH, blowing his wad early.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 27, 2019, 05:49:21 PM
Typical SMBH, blowing his wad early.

I'll blow your wad early if you're not careful.

Replies From View

Saw it today.  Enjoyed it.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Daniel Kitson

Guys. Guys. Guys.

This is going to be UB*.

I just wanted to give you a "heads up" for a "gig" that I wholeheartedly support (but will not be performing at because I am on the far side of the earth at the moment**)

Every year resonance fm (arts community radio station in london) has to raise a certain amount of money in order to be able to keep doing what they do (challenging soundscapes, unlistenable music, community inclusion and engagement, amateurish self indulgence*****)

One of the ways they try to do this is with a "gig" at which I have previously performed but which this year, due to distance, I am unable to attend.

Old Grandad Stewpot Lee has booked the bill and he is on the bill along with Kevin Eldon. Tony Law, Simon Munnery. Dana Alexander and various other top notch humourists. It's a very good bill.  In support of an excellent cause.

But remarkably, they're struggling to shift the units without the D machine****** so I said I'd reach out, do my bit, step up, weigh in and basically save the effing day #again. ******* I mean, I've got absolutely loads of unsold tickets in Sydney and Melbournebut I'm not going on about that am i? ******** No. Im doing my bit for the cause.

It's next Monday at the newly repopened Bloomsbury theatre in londons fashionable "On the way to Euston" District.  And you can get more details here.

https://www.thebloomsbury.com/event/run/18108

And that's basically it.

Okay I'm off.

I'll be back in touch soon-ish with Radio, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Newcastle and probably America based News.

But for now,

GOODBYE FOREREVER .

dirkgonnadirk

it sounds incredibly naff, and it's very unlike anything I ever say, but seeing a kitson show really makes me feel incredibly alive. there's just nothing like it, and I don't think there's anyone on earth who can write the stuff he does. I hear the criticisms, but god I loved that. a great evening.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: dirkgonnadirk on March 21, 2019, 11:26:25 AM
it sounds incredibly naff, and it's very unlike anything I ever say, but seeing a kitson show really makes me feel incredibly alive.

Totally agree. His themes and his honest belief in them make an audience swell, and his off-the-cuff banter makes the toes tingle - he's so very present. Only other performer who gives that feeling of aliveness is (the few times I've see him) Kim Noble.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 21, 2019, 11:32:33 AM
Totally agree. His themes and his honest belief in them make an audience swell, and his off-the-cuff banter makes the toes tingle - he's so very present. Only other performer who gives that feeling of aliveness is (the few times I've see him) Kim Noble.

I'd echo the love for Kim Noble, I've only seen him twice but would love to do so again, though right now he seems busy writing a graphic novel.

As for that aliveness feeling, the only other person I'd nominate would be Joseph Morpurgo, but then I love him and want to marry him and always mention him in such threads so it's probably not a surprise.

buntyman

Very pleased to hear he'll be back on Resonance FM in a couple of months

hummingofevil

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 21, 2019, 09:07:01 PM
I'd echo the love for Kim Noble, I've only seen him twice but would love to do so again, though right now he seems busy writing a graphic novel.

As for that aliveness feeling, the only other person I'd nominate would be Joseph Morpurgo, but then I love him and want to marry him and always mention him in such threads so it's probably not a surprise.

I ended up on stage in the show he did a few years ago that ended up with the horse bit in Soho. Was certainly up there with one of the most quietly fucked up things I've ever seen. I think I loved it as a show but there were loads of ethical issues with it and couldn't defend it to people who hated it.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 22, 2019, 12:05:55 AM
I ended up on stage in the show he did a few years ago that ended up with the horse bit in Soho. I loved it as a show but there were loads of ethical issues with it and couldn't defend it to people who hated it.

You were the guy he made undress and then put on the wig etc? There was a spate of shows that year(ish) where the performer made an audience member dress up as someone important to them (Luc-Roberts and John Kearns are the shows I most remember with it happening).

That show was incredible - people walked out wide-eyed after it had finished. Obviously there were some major transgressive elements, but it seemed all done with care - who hated it?

hummingofevil

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 22, 2019, 12:46:56 AM
You were the guy he made undress and then put on the wig etc? There was a spate of shows that year(ish) where the performer made an audience member dress up as someone important to them (Luc-Roberts and John Kearns are the shows I most remember with it happening).

That show was incredible - people walked out wide-eyed after it had finished. Obviously there were some major transgressive elements, but it seemed all done with care - who hated it?

No fortunately not. I was one of the people brought out to slow dance. My memory is failing me a bit but at the end when he fucks off on the horse (did he do that every night or was it a recording used over and over again) we were left on stage. Remember thinking how bleak it was that in a show about how lonely and isolated he felt yet he engineered it so he wasn't even there to receive the applause. Self-flagellation in the extreme.

As for issues with it there was the whole thing about whether people had consented to being filmed so it was genuinely quite stalkery and as someone who always gets pulled on stage even I would have drawn the line at being the person who wore the headphones or got taken out of the room and stripped. I took my sister-in-law to see Phil Burgers/Doctor Brown Befrdfgth which is in my top 5 best shows ever (in the same room in fact) and she HATED it as she thought it was exploitative when in reality it was all just a bit of fun. Christ knows what she would think of Kim Noble.

Right Kitson. It's a Kitson thread. So a reminder that the funniest thing I have ever seen at a Kitson show was the words "head and neck cancer" and it wasn't even him that said it but a member of the audience. Admitedly, he did turn the phrase into a jingle and danced around the stage singing it straight afterwards but by that point I had already totally lost my shit.

Ptyx

Quote from: PhyterJet on January 18, 2019, 03:02:33 AM
Any chance of reviving Daniel Kitson torrents?

I've found two, one is 7 years old the other is 8. I've managed to successfully download one, but the other is stuck at 21.9% and there are no seeders anymore :(

Are there any old school fans who still have copies of his old bootleg recordings?
I've created a Google drive thingy where I've uploaded recordings commercially not available and where anybody can add stuff.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Ptyx on March 23, 2019, 02:10:00 PM
I've created a Google drive thingy where I've uploaded recordings commercially not available and where anybody can add stuff.

link please?

mrfridge

I've got loads of stuff. If you pass on the link I'll add anything you've not already got.

Replies From View

Ptyx

iamcoop

If you could pass on the link to me I would be very grateful...