Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:19:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Loose change

Started by bgmnts, January 10, 2019, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Do people carry around spare change anymore? I miss this for some reason, despite not knowing if its gone out of fashion.

Maurice Yeatman

Sorry mate not tonight I need it for the bus.

Neomod

I prefer Small Change (Got Rained on with His Own .38)

It was clearly an inside job bush's face as he reads that goat book!

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on January 10, 2019, 01:59:13 AM
Do people carry around spare change anymore? I miss this for some reason, despite not knowing if its gone out of fashion.

I have never heard of people treating loose change as a fashion accessory.  Is it the noise people like?

I carry loose coins because I need them to buy stuff, and in particular need to stockpile £1 coins for my elecriticity meter and the launderette.

thenoise

I like the Peter rabbit 50ps, the rest of it can fuck off. Contactless ftw.

I do miss the coppers turning my hands green tho. Who remembers old fashioned coppers?

Beagle 2

Icehaven

Emptying it into the self-service checkouts with the little chutes is intensely satisfying, although I got a 2p the other day that it just wouldn't accept, so someone may have actually gone to the trouble of making a fake 2p. Or it was just full.

Brian Freeze

I got ripped off by one of those change counting jobbies that they have in supermarkets. They make a great noise as they chug through £60 squids worth of coppers and five pees, but when they went up to creaming 7% off and then helping themselves to extra we decided not to bother any more.

We went to the trouble of complaining to them but they bullshitted us so they can fuck off. Please avoid.

Pijlstaart

Would keep all change in a sock. Now have several socks of change at papa's house. Won't be worth much now, but change used to be good for things. We had a young boy come to our sleepover and he'd bought over £1 of pick n' mix for the occasion, for the communal trough. He listed off all the different pick n' mixes he'd got as if anyone had a shitting clue what they were. I don't know the names of different pick n' mixes because I'm normal, I eat brand-name sweets from a shelf, not a bin that children gob in. Oliver twist whooping-cough shit. If you're not prepared to wash them under a fucking tap then you're eating them by yourself, I'd said, and he ate them by himself. Noticed a lot of places are rounding up prices, the 99p is disappearing, and there's less change about. Different world, all these polish flocking over here, etc.

Cuellar

I do often wonder about the impact a contactless society has on the homeless.

Replies From View

I miss the 99p coin that allowed us to buy things in multiples of 99 such as for example a bogroll set costing £1.98.  Then they'd be like:  "Tea towel?  Certainly sir, that will reach £2.97, or if you prefer three of your 99p coins."

Loved all that.

Replies From View

Quote from: Cuellar on January 10, 2019, 09:15:21 AM

A sounder night's sleep I'd imagine.

Icehaven

They should get one of these;

I reckon they'd make a lot more, the same feeling of not spending anything would apply and more people would be inclined to give if there was no embarrassing handing over of a few measly coins.

I don't like change. The only time I get cash out is if I'm going for a pint. Any collected change is put into an old leather headphones pouch to be spent on small supermarket purchases. The sooner the entire world goes cashless, the better.

I've never understood people keeping jars of pound coins, cashing them in and boasting "Well, it's £426 I never had, it's a bonus innit?" No, it's £426 you've had sitting doing nothing rather then it have earn interest in the bank.

Are you one of these jar people? What is your logic for doing this?

Quote from: Replies From View on January 10, 2019, 09:51:57 AM
I miss the 99p coin that allowed us to buy things in multiples of 99 such as for example a bogroll set costing £1.98.  Then they'd be like:  "Tea towel?  Certainly sir, that will reach £2.97, or if you prefer three of your 99p coins."

Loved all that.

Yeah.  Always found it funny how the "pound shop" would have two compartments in its tills: one for the 99ps and another for the pennies.  Sometimes I think the only reason for setting the price to a pound was to keep the penny in circulation.

Captain Z

I never used to touch them anyway.

Captain Z

Quote from: icehaven on January 10, 2019, 10:25:20 AM
They should get one of these;

Street performers are starting to have these now instead of a hat/bucket. True story.

Captain Z

Quote from: thenoise on January 10, 2019, 07:46:46 AM
Who remembers old fashioned coppers?

Yeah, you could trust them when you can't find your way home.

Jockice

I was talking to someone yesterday who claimed that he never carries any cash at all. Apparently he pays for everything with his phone. Is this normal for young people nowadays? I feel uncomfortable if I have no money on me, even if it's only a tenner in my wallet. I do tend to pay with my purchases with either my credit card (contactless) or bank card (not contactless.) The last time I used cash was around a week ago when I went to buy some wine in Tesco (not for me. A birthday present). I got a couple of snacks too and it came to £15.50  I used a £20 note and put the change in that little compartment in the car door. So now you know.

Icehaven

Quote from: Captain Z on January 10, 2019, 10:44:36 AM
Street performers are starting to have these now instead of a hat/bucket. True story.

Really?! Jesus, I was being flippant as well. Do they have a pre-typed 'suggested donation' or is it left up to the giver?

Icehaven

Quote from: Jockice on January 10, 2019, 11:00:44 AM
I was talking to someone yesterday who claimed that he never carries any cash at all. Apparently he pays for everything with his phone. Is this normal for young people nowadays? I feel uncomfortable if I have no money on me, even if it's only a tenner in my wallet. I do tend to pay with my purchases with either my credit card (contactless) or bank card (not contactless.) The last time I used cash was around a week ago when I went to buy some wine in Tesco (not for me. A birthday present). I got a couple of snacks too and it came to £15.50  I used a £20 note and put the change in that little compartment in the car door. So now you know.

I'm not far off that, I often don't have any money on me for days at a time and rarely have more than a few pounds when I do, just so I can buy a drink or snack as a lot of smaller shops have £5 minimum spend on cards. I only really carry actual money now if I'm going to a cash only pub (rare these days) or when going out for a meal and we're splitting the bill (although again in most places now you can each pay your share individually on separate cards). I use a debit card rather than my phone though, I'm just about old enough to still be a bit wary of using my phone for everything. What's bastard annoying though is when you go somewhere that usually takes cards but the machines bust and they haven't bothered putting any signs up, so your drinks are on the bar/purchases have all gone through the checkout and it's no dice.

Cuellar

Quote from: Jockice on January 10, 2019, 11:00:44 AM

Yeah, I barely ever have any hard currency on me (apart from when I'm in Belgium as they're such savages that it's quite common to see 'Cash only' in bars/shops). It's all phone/contactless

I'm well aware that I'm freely giving all my shopping and lifestyle data to google, but it's so easy!

Bazooka

The problem with loose change is, a stuffed wallet full of metal is not comfortable to sit on, assuming you keep it in your back pocket. Its all swiping here in China even for something costing a penny, or buying a yacht, always hold some cash mind you in case shit hits the fan.

Maurice Yeatman

Some Big Issue sellers have those card readers too. Haven't seen any yet, but it was mentioned in a Big Issue a few weeks ago.

Icehaven

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on January 10, 2019, 12:24:39 PM
Some Big Issue sellers have those card readers too. Haven't seen any yet, but it was mentioned in a Big Issue a few weeks ago.

So my flippancy was virtually right. What a time to be alive.

Shit Good Nose

Jesus christ.  I'm only just getting used to seeing people pay for stuff by putting their phones to a price gun.

Jockice

Quote from: Bazooka on January 10, 2019, 12:04:46 PM
The problem with loose change is, a stuffed wallet full of metal is not comfortable to sit on, assuming you keep it in your back pocket. Its all swiping here in China even for something costing a penny, or buying a yacht, always hold some cash mind you in case shit hits the fan.

I never put change in my back pocket. My rules are that the left front pocket is for my wallet, the right is for keys, mobile phone and change. The back ones are only ever temporarily used for leaflets and appointment cards.

The only changes allowed to this are that I sometimes put my house keys in my left pocket because it's easier when trying to keep my balance when leaving my flat and when I'm wearing the jeans I have on today (black M&S ones) cos they have a small hole in the right pocket so if I put change in it falls out. The keys still go in there though.

Icehaven

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 10, 2019, 01:24:26 PM
Jesus christ.  I'm only just getting used to seeing people pay for stuff by putting their phones to a price gun.

Along with ''in-game purchases'' and the rise of those voice operated home assistant things, this is yet another way of making it easier to literally spend money accidentally. I remember when contactless first came in and people joked about stumbling at the checkout and paying for someone else's shopping but buying something just by talking at home or waving your phone near something is next level.

Quote from: icehaven on January 10, 2019, 01:55:05 PM
Along with ''in-game purchases'' and the rise of those voice operated home assistant things, this is yet another way of making it easier to literally spend money accidentally. I remember when contactless first came in and people joked about stumbling at the checkout and paying for someone else's shopping but buying something just by talking at home or waving your phone near something is next level.

I'd be happy if I could stumble at the checkout and pay for something contactless. Most times, I present my card to the reader, it gets one or two bars and then I have to flip it over for it to register.