Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 11:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

We're The Millers, The Hangover and other comedies with no jokes

Started by madhair60, January 10, 2019, 01:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

madhair60

We're The Millers is just a cunt being a cunt to a cunt. Just shy of two hours.

madhair60

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 10, 2019, 01:59:00 PM
The Hangover is good and there are jokes.

Nae jokes. Just cunts being cunts to each other. Absolutely not a shred of humorous dialogue

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: madhair60 on January 10, 2019, 02:00:39 PM
Nae jokes. Just cunts being cunts to each other. Absolutely not a shred of humorous dialogue

A movie like that is more about the humour of the situations, but there's plenty of jokes and dialogue that is intended to be humorous. Sorry if you don't find it funny though.

Also 'cunts being cunts to each other' is the basis of a lot of comedies.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 10, 2019, 02:07:26 PM
A movie like that is more about the humour of the situations, but there's plenty of jokes and dialogue that is intended to be humorous. Sorry if you don't find it funny though.

Also 'cunts being cunts to each other' is the basis of a lot of comedies.

Oh stop! my sides are splitting with the thought.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 10, 2019, 02:35:20 PM
Oh stop! my sides are splitting with the thought.

Your sides will be split when I'm finished with you, buckaroo!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

"The Hangover " is chockful of top jokes and hilarity!

Well, when compared to "The Hangover Three" , like.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I saw Taladega Nights on telly and didn't laugh once. It wasn't like it was full of bad jokes, there just didn't seem to be any at all. Perhaps I should give it another chance, since I love Anchorman and Walk Hard.

madhair60

jobotic

I enjoyed eating Hula-Hoops whilst on the toilet but there weren't any jokes.

magval

I get what you're on about, here. It's more like characters just carrying on, in a certain way.

I always thought The Mighty Boosh was a very good example of this. There's no jokes that I can think of, it's just a way of  being for two (and later four or five) people.

I think it mostly comes down to the lack of scripts in the big American comedies, or at least the looseness of it. If you're allowed to come in and riff, well, the big hitters seem to think that's easier than actual writing, crafted writing, I mean.

I like some of the improv in those films (I really enjoy the quick-fire bits on the DVDs where they go through the adlibs that were rejected, often in realtime), but they don't stick with me the same way, say, most of Young Frankenstein does.

And aye, a lot of them are just cunts. I rarely find mean-ness funny, but it's the big thing now seemingly.

BritishHobo

This was my thread on We're The Millers at the time, titled ""We're the Millers" - Why does this look so unfunny?": https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=37188.0

As in my last post in that thread, I think the maddest thing about it is that it tries to get away with making people laugh at the beginning by just starting the film with three really popular funny YouTube viral videos that were made by other people.

Dog Botherer

Always hated The Hangover. Hated being told "But it's the funniest movie ever, what's wrong with you?" even more. Shit for cunts.

Talladega Nights is fucking hilarious though. Especially if you've lived in that culture for a bit. And I generally think Will Ferrell is a bag of shite.

BlodwynPig

neardark

Think I laughed once at The Hangover, when Mike Tyson unexpectedly knocks one of them out for no reason.

the science eel

Quote from: Dog Botherer on January 11, 2019, 04:28:56 PM
Always hated The Hangover. Hated being told "But it's the funniest movie ever, what's wrong with you?" even more. Shit for cunts.

Worst film I've ever seen at the cinema. My lass at the time said the same thing. Just a bunch of wankers getting into crazeeeee situations. Fucking awful.

Jerzy Bondov

I almost always hate those 'let them improv a load of funny lines, leave them all in' scenes, which I think started with 40 Year Old Virgin? The Female Ghostbusters is full of them and all the worse for it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Hangover is basically a rip off of Dude, Where's My Car? minus the amiable goofiness.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 11, 2019, 10:25:11 PM
The Hangover is basically a rip off of Dude, Where's My Car? minus the amiable goofiness.

I liked Dude, Where's My Car? a lot and don't think it deserved the kicking it got on release, though at least over the years critics have become a little kinder to it.

And I remember thinking The Hangover was okay, not great but watchable, so I rented the sequel and hated it so much I've never seen the third film.

Sebastian Cobb

Have Ben Stiller or Owen Wilson added rather than subtracted from a comedy?

Stiller in Dodgeball was on the telly in the chippy when I was getting my tea and it made me think of this thread. Although I'm not sure Dodgeball is shit enough to get an entry in this thread in itself.

chveik

Shaky

I'd throw Horrible Bosses in here as well, a quite horrible mess of a film. Jason Sudeikis in particular appears to be making most of his dialogue up on the spot but can only manage euphemisms for "cock" a lot.

Not seen the 2nd one but this is the sort of shite I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdnETox-PJg

Nowhere Man

From what I can see, the (overrated) Lego Movie cameo aside, the last funny film starring Will Ferrell seems to be 'Stepbrothers' from 2008. That current Sherlock thing looks absolutely awful and John C Reilly deserves better than to be attached to Ferrell's hackier work of the past decade.

I just remembered that Jim Carrey's 'Yes Man' also came out in 2008, which was the last major one with him I remember seeing in cinemas, but even that was mediocre. So going back further, it would be about 15 years since he was last in a decent comedy!

a peepee tipi

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 11, 2019, 11:37:50 PM
Have Ben Stiller or Owen Wilson added rather than subtracted from a comedy?

Stiller in Dodgeball was on the telly in the chippy when I was getting my tea and it made me think of this thread. Although I'm not sure Dodgeball is shit enough to get an entry in this thread in itself.
I enjoyed the Starsky and Hutch movie a lot more than I expected I would. Directed by Hangover man though so mileage may vary. Wilson has Rushmore under his belt too. Dodgeball's good stupid fun.

Zoolander's an impossible watch though