Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Partridge questions: Why does Alan hate farmers and other questions

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 10, 2019, 02:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Thread for all your questions about Alan Partridge.

I will start with asking why Alan hates farmers. Surely someone like him who is a centre-right Daily Mail reader should be on the side of farmers. I know his views are intended to be humorously bizarre but I can't see where he got them from. Am I sucking all the joy out of the programme?

Utter Shit

I never saw it as him hating farmers, I thought he just made a stupid comment trying to be funny, and then everything blew up from there.

gilbertharding

I think it's part of his personality to want to be contrarian - slightly. In his own legend he's a maverick. He probably thinks of himself as a journalist first and foremost - who's turned his hand to tv presenting. Like Michael Parkinson.

You can see it in a real person if you consider Jeremy Clarkson, who in real life has several positions - I think he's a remainer, for instance - which don't conform to the stereotype (and many more which do, admittedly). Also Richard Madeley.

You can imagine all three of these priding themselves on having 'done their own research' and coming to slightly off-kilter conclusions.

So, farmers are secretive, wealthy (and in receipt of massive handouts) - not to be trusted.

There's probably also a degree of projection: What do they do in those sheds? Alan knows what he'd do in them...

ASFTSN

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 10, 2019, 02:50:50 PM
There's probably also a degree of projection: What do they do in those sheds? Alan knows what he'd do in them...

Exactly, he's seen the big-eared boys on farms.

Avril Lavigne

Why do Fernando and Denise never speak to him or see him, specifically beyond the basic reason that nobody would want Alan for a father? Maybe this has been answered in one of the books but if it has I don't remember at all.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 10, 2019, 05:39:48 PM
Why do Fernando and Denise never speak to him or see him, specifically beyond the basic reason that nobody would want Alan for a father? Maybe this has been answered in one of the books but if it has I don't remember at all.

A lifetime of "No, we were delighted. Well, I mean, at first I was mortified but then you were born and we grew to like you." I imagine.

Dannyhood91

We don't really know much about Carol and his kids. I have read the first book but it was back when it was new. I suspect that Carol is the real villain of the piece. Obviously Alan isn't blameless because he is an utter bafoon but not an out right bad man. When he goes for his Christmas ramble you get the sense he's a really lonely man desperate for some affection.