Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:19:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Can you save our table?"

Started by Icehaven, January 10, 2019, 06:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby Treetops

My friend once got berated by someone at a gig as they'd indivertibly stood in her boyfriend's 'space' while he'd buggered off to buy a pint.

They rudely got informed of the concept of public spaces in response.

This incident occurred in London obviously.

...and people who reserved tables in pubs can fuck off.

First come, first serve, mate.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on January 11, 2019, 03:05:20 PM
...and people who reserved tables in pubs can fuck off.

My local has a policy of never taking reservations for tables. This is one of the reasons why it is my local.

jobotic

Can you hold this knife for a minute? I've just got to burn these clothes. Cheers.

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 11, 2019, 02:57:13 PM
The worst thing for me is people who ask "Can you look after my bag for a minute?" Not a big ask and I don't really mind, but I do get into a state of mild panic, wondering what would happen if someone snatched it and the owner came bag and blamed me. I should get "Items left here at your own risk" sign printed on a t-shirt:

To be honest I just say "Would you mind taking it with you?" and rarely explain why because they already know why.  If they have any sense they'll then sheepishly take their bag with them.

You often get it with people who are in a position of management in their workplace, and forget that the strangers around them are not their admin staff.  Luckily I work with children so can slip quite naturally into a mode that makes such people reflect apologetically on their stupid childish behaviour.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Replies From View on January 11, 2019, 04:39:51 PM
Luckily I work with children so can slip quite naturally into a mode that makes such people reflect apologetically on their stupid childish behaviour.

?

PlanktonSideburns

I always say 'yea of course mate' and then do nothing of the sort

MidnightShambler

You just leave what's left of your pint on the table with a beer mat on top of it and get up and order another one. Or go for a piss/smoke, whatever it is you're doing.

Really though, it's no big deal. If somebody asks you to watch the table, it's only a token gesture. They don't expect you to act like a Swiss Guard and halt anyone who approaches it. And if is somebody does sit at it in their absence they're hardly likely to bollock you for not doing your job.

Just say yeah then pretend they never existed, that's what I'd do.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on January 11, 2019, 04:39:51 PM

You often get it with people who are in a position of management in their workplace, and forget that the strangers around them are not their admin staff.  Luckily I work with children so can slip quite naturally into a mode that makes such people reflect apologetically on their stupid childish behaviour.

I used to work in one of those offices that was a big long glass office bolted to a lovely listed building that was once a big old house (Queen's Road, to anyone who knows Aberdeen), personally I consider this architectural  vandalism. The far end of the office had a fire exit onto the car park and one of the salesmen used to knock on it for the pa/office Admin lady who sat near it to let him in, just to save a 20 second walk up the side to the actual entrance. We thought he was a prick.