Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Machynlleyh Comedy Festival 2019

Started by BritishHobo, January 10, 2019, 07:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

42 new shows added to the line up today. Have at it!

I'm not sure if I can afford to go this year, although I really fucking want to. If I do I will definitely be learning from my mistake of filling every possible available slot last year and burning the absolute fuck out of myself. More Glang Show and Sean Morley though, yes please.

I'm going, I still haven't learnt my lesson of burning myself out yet, and fully intend on caning 18 or so shows.  Got the Glang and Sean Morley shows in the bag, as well as a Friday night showcase - waiting to see what else is available before I spunk my wad on anything else though.

Hopefully it rains like fuck so the part-time bank holiday drinkers stay at home.

hummingofevil

I'm going. First timer. Of the list so far I'd recommend Beth Vyse (that I have seen) and Olga Koch (that I haven't but had very good reviews through Edinburgh).

BritishHobo

BritishHobo

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on January 11, 2019, 01:24:59 PMHopefully it rains like fuck so the part-time bank holiday drinkers stay at home.

Yes please. Some real drunken bores there last year making shows about them and dick-swinging in the beer tent. Less of that white thanks.

Hoping Gittins comes as usual, but more than anything I'm hoping Steffan Alun is performing. Romantic Comedy was the absolute highlight of last year for me. I just wish I was far enough along in my half-arsed self-teaching to be able to go to the Welsh-language shows.

BritishHobo

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 11, 2019, 08:41:41 PM
I'm going. First timer. Of the list so far I'd recommend Beth Vyse (that I have seen) and Olga Koch (that I haven't but had very good reviews through Edinburgh).

Hope you enjoy it! My main recommendation so far would be The Glang Show, which was just fucking strange and brilliant. After seeing that, and especially after An Actual Propeller's enthusiasm last year and now about him, I'm really eager to see Sean Morley.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 11, 2019, 09:03:24 PM
Hope you enjoy it! My main recommendation so far would be The Glang Show, which was just fucking strange and brilliant. After seeing that, and especially after An Actual Propeller's enthusiasm last year and now about him, I'm really eager to see Sean Morley.

Yes. I Glanged at Edinburgh and really enjoyed Sean Morley's show so I would agree both are a must.

P.s. I love a drink but never before a show so I won't be a first-time-sunshine-dickhead. Promise. :)

This is a bit of an aside but I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this single question. It does concern live comedy in Wales...

Does anybody know anything about this Jerry Sadowitz live date in Newport in May? I can't find any mention of it anywhere on the internet, apart from the venue website. Nothing on his own website or anything. When you try to book you can see that practically no tickets have been sold and I'm wondering if it's even a real thing.

https://tickets.newportlive.co.uk/en-GB/shows/jerry%20sadowitz-%20make%20comedy%20grate%20again!/info

Sadowitz is touring in May, definitely.  I have tickets for his Newcastle date.  I'd trust he's doing the Newport date!

andy33

I have seen Sadowitz on a previous tour in an 80-percent empty theatre. I wouldn't take the lack of ticket sales to mean there's anything dubious about the show.

BritishHobo

Oh noooo, they've added a load of shows I really really really really really fucking want to see. They've got two works-in-progress of Stewart Lee's Snowflake/Tornado (although the two slots are 60 minutes each, one on Saturday one on Sunday, so it may be you get only get one of the shows), and Steffan Alun, who is the king of all Machynlleth for me.

Very tempted to impulse-buy those tickets and possibly just go for one night.

BritishHobo

Well, I'm going, aren't I. I always was, I don't know why I kid myself otherwise. More Glang Show thanks.

BritishHobo

ToneLa

BritishHobo

Ha!

Right, who else is in then? What're schedules looking like? I'm trying to pack mine out a little, stuck deciding between Kiri Pritchard-Mcclean and Emma Sidi for the Saturday 9:00 slot.

Anyone there on Friday should give The Death Hilarious a go. Loved them.

hummingofevil

I've purposely held back on buying tickets as want to see as much new stuff as possible so didn't want to fill itinery with Stewart Lee etc.

If it is not sold out check out Fruit Loop by Lucy Pearman on Sunday afternoon. It is utterly silly puppet/clown/fucking about (mild threat - bit of audience participation but nothing anyone would feel uncomfortable with) and apart from Richard Gadd's guest comic bit was the longest and hardest I laughed at anything in Edinburgh last year and I saw shit loads of really good stuff. I'm going.

My shows so far:

Friday: Showcase (Y Plas)
Sat: Lucy Pearman (WiP), Jordan Brookes, The Glang Show
Sunday: Lucy Pearman (Fruit Loop), Luke McQueen.

Got two Sean Morley tickets spare because of the Fruit Loop show.  Gutted to miss Morley, damn you, clashes.

Maybe list: Ray Badran (Australian so probably good), Abigoliah Schamaun, Garrett Millerick, Grennie McGuire, Ross Brierley, Tom Parry, Beth Vyse, Kay Bond, Steffan Alun, Jayne Adams, Catherine Bohart, Seymour Mace, Laura Lexx, Wacky Racists, Rosie Jones, Frank Foucault.

I'll probably buy the rest of the tickets after the next wave of announcements.  The theatre shows are still to come too.

BritishHobo

I'm gutted as well, went for the Stewart Lee WiP even though I do reeeeeeally wanna see Morley.

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 12, 2019, 01:08:44 PM
I'm gutted as well, went for the Stewart Lee WiP even though I do reeeeeeally wanna see Morley.

I'd genuinely fuck Stewart Lee off and see Morley.  I saw a Stewart Lee WiP at Mach a few years ago, it was at the very beginning of him sorting out material for Content Provider, and it was literally him just reading out his articles for the Observer etc.  I wouldn't expect anything fleshed out for Snowflake/Tornado at this early stage.

EDIT: mind, I'm fully expecting Stewart Lee to tour Snowflake/Tornado in my neck of the woods around this time next year, your mileage may vary etc.

BritishHobo

Ach, I am tempted. Everything I read about Morley makes me want to see him. Would be interesting to see the very early stages of a Lee set though.

Considering getting the bus down on the Friday and maybe seeing The Death Hilarious and Sam & Tom. Can anyone advise what the showcases are normally like? They're the last big Mach thing I've not done, but they always look absolutely fucking knackering to me.

hummingofevil

I went to the Aberystwyth Showcase and it was great. Nice big crowd to start the weekend and short 10-15 min sets so plenty of chance to pop out for beer/toilet/break if you get a bit fidgety. TBH the 1 hour shows have more potential to drag if you happen to take a punt on a functional 3 star comic.

I would see Morley too. It's nice seeing Stew in a small room but his stuff always scales up well to the bigger rooms for the final touring show. Morley makes you feel like his shows are for you; just a lovely stage presence.

Showcases are worth doing, they last two hours or so (these days), and you often get to see somebody who you've never heard of or never seen, that you'll end up enjoying.  This is how I discovered folk like Pat Cahill, whose shows I've seen every year since.  It's a big-ish room and there's a few drunk fuckers there who shout shit, but you usually have a Ed Gamble or Nish Kumar comparing that's good at shutting that sort of shit down.  Five or so minute sets and there's a break halfway through.

BritishHobo

God I can't make my mind up on this Lee/Morley thing. Same with Emma Sidi and Kiri Pritchard-Mclean. I'm the world's most indecisive man.

They've just announced on Twitter a showing of Buster Keaton's The General on Friday with a live score performed by instrumental group Haiku Salut.

hummingofevil

Lee is sold out. After singing Morley's praise I'm actually going to Lucy Pearman instead. I'll get my Morley fix at Glang. Speaking of which JLR's Terrible Wonderful Adaptations was good fun in summer so going in Macynlleth. It's a variety show where different acts get 5-10 mins to interpret a piece of text. The document for this one is the 1997 Liberal Democrat Manifesto.

paruses

Getting organised this year to go to this. Usually fail for some reason or other to do with not being in the country.

Need to get a move though and make some decisions.

Like the idea of KPM , Micheal Legge. Mike Wozniak clashes with something but sort of fancied seeing him.

Also debating the Historical Stories one (can't find it at the moment on the listing). Sad that Austentatious aren't there this year. Do they even exist still?

Think my main scheduling / agonising decisions is going to be around the Saturday 9pm slot.

Like the look of Sunhil Patel but know nothing about him - just like the blurb.

BritishHobo

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 26, 2019, 11:07:11 PM
Lee is sold out. After singing Morley's praise I'm actually going to Lucy Pearman instead. I'll get my Morley fix at Glang. Speaking of which JLR's Terrible Wonderful Adaptations was good fun in summer so going in Macynlleth. It's a variety show where different acts get 5-10 mins to interpret a piece of text. The document for this one is the 1997 Liberal Democrat Manifesto.

Aye I got one of the last ones. I messaged my brother a few minutes later to get on them quick, but they were already gone. He's not gonna come now but if I can tempt him to by giving him the Lee ticket, I'll go see Morley. Definitely can't imagine I'll regret it.

BritishHobo

Quote from: paruses on March 27, 2019, 10:55:57 AM
Getting organised this year to go to this. Usually fail for some reason or other to do with not being in the country.

Need to get a move though and make some decisions.

Like the idea of KPM , Micheal Legge. Mike Wozniak clashes with something but sort of fancied seeing him.

Also debating the Historical Stories one (can't find it at the moment on the listing). Sad that Austentatious aren't there this year. Do they even exist still?

Think my main scheduling / agonising decisions is going to be around the Saturday 9pm slot.

Like the look of Sunhil Patel but know nothing about him - just like the blurb.

I saw Sunil a couple of years ago in a tiny tiny room, and he was a good laugh. It was an early work-in-progress, but a lot of fun.

What's Wozniak like as a stand-up? I love him so much in Man Down, but also know it's daft to go in expecting him to be like he is on someone else's TV show.

paruses

No idea what MW is like as a stand-up. I heard him on RHLSTP must be 5 years ago and quite liked him. I know why you mean about not expect him to be like in Man Down or Beef and Dairy but that seems to be how he comes across.

Maybe bit more research is needed. Also think I clashes with the Historical one.

paruses

I liked the look of this - Owen Niblock: How to Code a  Comedy Club

https://machcomedyfest.co.uk/show/2019/owen-niblock-how-to-code-a-comedy-club-work-in-progress/

Can't remember who it clashes with - that might be Mike Wozniak. Could be good or could be a bit Robin Ince.

Shit, I'm going to have to make a gantt chart or something for scheduling.

BritishHobo

Made my Saturday 9:00 decision. Panic-bought KPM tickets after they announced on Twitter that there were only a few left. Getting proper excited now it's just over a month away.