Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Machynlleyh Comedy Festival 2019

Started by BritishHobo, January 10, 2019, 07:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 29, 2019, 09:11:08 PM
Made my Saturday 9:00 decision. Panic-bought KPM tickets after they announced on Twitter that there were only a few left. Getting proper excited now it's just over a month away.

Shit.

BritishHobo

Still some left it looks like - my panicking was premature. Get on it!

EDIT: 25 left, according to Twitter.

paruses

Thanks. Booked! Right, better get on with the rest of them.

Does anyone else find the browsing / layout of the site a bit unmanageable? Might as well complain about something.

hummingofevil

Yeah it's really annoying. I'm pretty much fully booked up now. Doing everything in blocks of threes with a few hours off in between/ take a punt on something. Can't wait.

paruses

Current dilemma: Great British Mysteries or Mike Wozniak at 2pm Saturday?

Any thoughts. Any constructive thoughts?

paruses

That decision has been taken out of my hands. Seeing GBM.

Was hoping Rachel Fairburn was playing as would be really interested to see her. Turns out I've been looking past her everytime I've scrolled through and she's sold out now. Piss.

BritishHobo

Looks like the last six shows they announced are officially the last six English-language ones. There's just kid's shows (being announced today) and some more Welsh-language shows (which I'm still a pathetically long way away from being able to understand).

Time to start filling in my gaps, now I know there's no Gittins or Liam Williams to hold out for.

paruses

Just scrolled back and seen your recommendation / praise for Steffan Alun BritishHobo so you've swung me to get a ticket.

Anyone seeing Lou Sanders? Am in two minds at the moment.

Cerys

I suggested that my parents might like to go and see Jonny and the Baptists.  My mum pointed out that going to see them was unnecessary - my parents will be able to hear them from the comfort of their own living room if they open the windows.

BritishHobo

Nice. I often wonder what residents think of the festival - especially last year, when the cunt contingent was really high. I wonder if there's much of a relationship between the organisers and the town the rest of the year.

I really hope you enjoy it, paruses! I took a punt on him a few years ago based on the blurb for his Time Capsule show, and loved him since. Just a warm, affable, very funny, satisfying storyteller. I could gush a lot more but I won't right now, for fear of overhyping.

It's come around so quick again. Need to fill in some gaps. Nabbed a ticket for the Friday Y Plas Showcase. Might make that my only Friday show. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Finally got sorted.

Friday: Sara Barron, Ray Badren, Showcase
Saturday: Lucy Pearman WIP, Tom Parry, Kat Sadler, Kat Bond, Jordan Brookes, John-Luke Roberts, Glang Show
Sunday: Phil Kay, Lucy Pearman Fruitloop, Luke McQueen, Seymour Mace and Friends, Laura Lexx, Rosie Jones, Marcel Lucont show

Tried to avoid to avoid the cunt-magnet shows as much as possible, but even Ed Azcel had a wanker last year who wouldn't stop interjecting.

hummingofevil

Quote from: paruses on April 05, 2019, 12:55:45 PM
Just scrolled back and seen your recommendation / praise for Steffan Alun BritishHobo so you've swung me to get a ticket.

Anyone seeing Lou Sanders? Am in two minds at the moment.

Just seen this. Her Shame Pig 2018 show was very good and I would recommend it highly so go and see it.

I'm not entirely sure if her new show The Face That Launched A Thousand Dicks (LOL) is a WIP or close to being finished but I do think she suffers from being someone whose shows can be awful in WIP until they come together as a magically decent final piece. I'm waiting till Edinburgh to go see it where I am sure it will be very good.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 15, 2019, 12:57:11 PM
Nice. I often wonder what residents think of the festival - especially last year, when the cunt contingent was really high. I wonder if there's much of a relationship between the organisers and the town the rest of the year.

I really hope you enjoy it, paruses! I took a punt on him a few years ago based on the blurb for his Time Capsule show, and loved him since. Just a warm, affable, very funny, satisfying storyteller. I could gush a lot more but I won't right now, for fear of overhyping.

It's come around so quick again. Need to fill in some gaps. Nabbed a ticket for the Friday Y Plas Showcase. Might make that my only Friday show. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Lie AAP I'm taking a punt on Sara Barron on the Friday. https://machcomedyfest.co.uk/show/2019/sara-barron-work-in-progress/

BritishHobo

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on April 15, 2019, 01:14:55 PMTried to avoid to avoid the cunt-magnet shows as much as possible, but even Ed Azcel had a wanker last year who wouldn't stop interjecting.

I wonder what it was last year. Is it just an inevitable result of the festival getting bigger?

Think I may leave my plan as it is below, and just see if anything else looks good on the weekend, or if I really like someone at the showcase who happens to have unsold tickets in one of me slots. If the weekend's nice (or even if it's not) I really want to explore the area a bit as well.

The question mark is because I'm on a waitlist.

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 15, 2019, 04:06:42 PM
I wonder what it was last year. Is it just an inevitable result of the festival getting bigger?

That, and because it was a sunny bank holiday weekend with lots of drinking.

I'm probably going overboard with the amount of wankers there.  It was only three shows from my fourteen last year that had dickheads disrupt the show.  But that's three more than the combined total of shows in the previous five years (70 or so?), so I'm bound to notice it.

BritishHobo

You're not alone. When I think back, it was only three or four shows that suffered, but the atmosphere felt a bit weird the whole weekend.

Saying that, I got chatting to a lot more people last year, lotd of friendly people in shows and on the campsite, so it all evens out.

The full programme is now available to download.

BritishHobo

Less than a week to go! How are people's schedules looking? I've got a ticket to the radio comedy panel on Saturday morning and I'm gonna stay a little bit longer on Sunday to see Rob Auton. Leaving a few slots open to have a break, but I'm keeping an eye out, I'd like to see some more acts I've never seen before.

I'd like to put in a last-minute rec for Johnny White Really-Really. I saw him in a double-header with Liam Williams last year, and some of you will have seen him at the Glang Show - I thought he was really fascinating and unique, and would urge anyone to give him a shot. And what a blurb:

QuoteWhen I was a child there was always an extra place set at the kitchen table. And whilst we ate our dinners, me and my brothers would fret to ourselves. Look at the empty place setting. The chair with nobody sat in it. And my father would say, "don't worry, eat your food before it gets cold. Our guest will be here soon." But the guest never came. And there was something missing in the room forever. But never mind all that, because I'm doing my new show — 'Unending Torment!' At Machfest 2019! So get yourselves down there!

hummingofevil

Mine has filled up nicely. Got a bit of a faff on on Sunday afternoon as there is a chance my team is playing in the Conference Playoffs when a show is on which means I'm going to be totally unable to cope. There is a chance they'll get knocked out out on Thursday first so we can hope... :)

Can't wait. Weather looks a very amiable 16 degrees and fine so hopefully not too conducive to cunts gettiing mortal.

Only change to my schedule above is that Ray Badren's cancelled (visa issues), so I'm seeing Abigoliah Schamaun. No great shakes, was basically a coin flip between her and Badran anyway.

Haven't really seen any live comedy for a while, so getting pumped for next weekend!

paruses

This is what I went for in the end. Looking forward to it:

Friday
Gabriel Ebulue   
Rob Kemp   

Saturday
Great British Mysteries   
Steffan Alun
KPM   

Sunday
George Fouracres   
Sean Morley   

BritishHobo

The long long bus journey has begun. Looks to be a cool weekend, thank fuck.

Not booked any other shows for today apart from the Showcase. Depending when I arrive I might take a punt on what's left. Someone I've never seen. I love Mach Fest.

paruses

Hope the journey's going well. Just been printing off tickets. Fucking wireless printers. Now have 8 tickets to see Rob Kemp and Gabriele Ebulue (no chance of spelling that without looking).

Enjoy the weekend. Will be good to have a roundup on Monday.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: paruses on May 03, 2019, 04:20:51 PM
Hope the journey's going well. Just been printing off tickets. Fucking wireless printers. Now have 8 tickets to see Rob Kemp and Gabriele Ebulue (no chance of spelling that without looking).

Enjoy the weekend. Will be good to have a roundup on Monday.

Looking forward to hearing your feelings about Rob Kemp, I saw it on Sunday and liked it a lot but he was a bit down about the reaction he got.

I can't make it this time and the thought of everyone arriving in Mach is making me feel very jealous. It's the comedy event of the year, and all the things I used to dislike about the Edinburgh Fringe just aren't issues at Mach.

Looking forward to reading everyone's reviews.

Death Hilarious: one man these days, t'was a long hour.
Best one on the Y Plas showcase was Sunil Patel - on the shortlist for Edinburgh/next year's Mach he goes.
Lucy Pearman is an astoundingly funny human.
More intricate insight to come.

hummingofevil

Hello everyone.

I'll try to keep my comments short.

Y Plas Showcase - I have never warmed to Ed Gamble but he completely turned me as a compare. Really good and kept the long night going. Bit of a mixed bag but I want to check out more Sunil Patel. Very dry delivery and reminded me a little of David Trent without the tech. Daniel Cook had some nice lines and I also enjoyed Rosie Johnson's Love Island material and Lolly's very short character piece.

Lucy Pearman (WIP) - She did about 40 mins and I laughed for at least 30 of them. She is a silly as ever and the finished show should be a must see for the Summer. I just find her really, really funny.

Tom Parry - Parryoke (WIP) - An hour of fairly broad, accessible and funny stand-up that had the enthusiastic room engaged throughout. I really like Tom Parry anyway and Yellow T-Shirt was one of my all time favourite shows. This isn't as clever as that was and is fairly stripped down but he looks like he is enjoying himself and I certain was. Good stuff.

hummingofevil

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on May 04, 2019, 03:36:43 PM
Death Hilarious: one man these days, t'was a long hour.
Best one on the Y Plas showcase was Sunil Patel - on the shortlist for Edinburgh/next year's Mach he goes.
Lucy Pearman is an astoundingly funny human.
More intricate insight to come.

Hello there AAP. It appears we have similar tastes. :)

BritishHobo

Really enjoyed the Y Plas Showcase - I expected it was going to feel really long, but it fucking sped by. Glad to hear more love for Sunil Patel, he really is brilliant. I've seen him before at Mach and he has a great dry way with words. Always lovely to see Ed as well, as this was the first year I'd not actually booked to see one of his shows.

Sam & Tom have been winning the weekend for me so far. I saw their double act on Friday on a whim, and loved it so much I booked to see Sam's Bedtime this morning at pretty much the last minute. Both shows really frightening and weird and painfully funny. It feels like the first time I ever saw Brian Gittins live (I think it was Mach '13 or '14?) Just blown away by the daft brilliance and the amount of ideas, the way they can completely blindside you with stuff. Bedtime built a genuine terror in me at not knowing what the fuck was going to happen, and Sam's terrifying dad coming downstairs furious to find all the boys and girls sat together, then making all the men stand against the wall, that was amazing. I love that shit. Got Glang Show tonight and Tom doing Peter Fleming in the morning. Love it.

Sam and Tom are great - I only didn't see them this time around because I saw them last year and wanted to see new stuff.

BritishHobo

I really wanted to see them last year but they clashed with someone - I can't even remember who now! I was proper intrigued by the blurb.

I think this one was a show they've done previously, but fuck was it good. Really inventive and odd and haunting.