Author Topic: Machynlleyh Comedy Festival 2019  (Read 959 times)

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
Machynlleyh Comedy Festival 2019
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:21:10 PM »
42 new shows added to the line up today. Have at it!

I'm not sure if I can afford to go this year, although I really fucking want to. If I do I will definitely be learning from my mistake of filling every possible available slot last year and burning the absolute fuck out of myself. More Glang Show and Sean Morley though, yes please.

Re: Machynlleyh Comedy Festival 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 01:24:59 PM »
I'm going, I still haven't learnt my lesson of burning myself out yet, and fully intend on caning 18 or so shows.  Got the Glang and Sean Morley shows in the bag, as well as a Friday night showcase - waiting to see what else is available before I spunk my wad on anything else though.

Hopefully it rains like fuck so the part-time bank holiday drinkers stay at home.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:41:41 PM »
I’m going. First timer. Of the list so far I’d recommend Beth Vyse (that I have seen) and Olga Koch (that I haven’t but had very good reviews through Edinburgh).

BritishHobo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:50:16 PM »
I SPELT MACHYNLLETH WRONG, SHIT.

BritishHobo

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:58:17 PM »
Hopefully it rains like fuck so the part-time bank holiday drinkers stay at home.

Yes please. Some real drunken bores there last year making shows about them and dick-swinging in the beer tent. Less of that white thanks.

Hoping Gittins comes as usual, but more than anything I'm hoping Steffan Alun is performing. Romantic Comedy was the absolute highlight of last year for me. I just wish I was far enough along in my half-arsed self-teaching to be able to go to the Welsh-language shows.

BritishHobo

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:03:24 PM »
I’m going. First timer. Of the list so far I’d recommend Beth Vyse (that I have seen) and Olga Koch (that I haven’t but had very good reviews through Edinburgh).

Hope you enjoy it! My main recommendation so far would be The Glang Show, which was just fucking strange and brilliant. After seeing that, and especially after An Actual Propeller's enthusiasm last year and now about him, I'm really eager to see Sean Morley.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:57:54 PM »
Hope you enjoy it! My main recommendation so far would be The Glang Show, which was just fucking strange and brilliant. After seeing that, and especially after An Actual Propeller's enthusiasm last year and now about him, I'm really eager to see Sean Morley.

Yes. I Glanged at Edinburgh and really enjoyed Sean Morley’s show so I would agree both are a must.

P.s. I love a drink but never before a show so I won’t be a first-time-sunshine-dickhead. Promise. :)

thecuriousorange

• WELCOME THRILLHOU
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 08:12:53 PM »
This is a bit of an aside but I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this single question. It does concern live comedy in Wales...

Does anybody know anything about this Jerry Sadowitz live date in Newport in May? I can't find any mention of it anywhere on the internet, apart from the venue website. Nothing on his own website or anything. When you try to book you can see that practically no tickets have been sold and I'm wondering if it's even a real thing.

https://tickets.newportlive.co.uk/en-GB/shows/jerry%20sadowitz-%20make%20comedy%20grate%20again!/info

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
Sadowitz is touring in May, definitely.  I have tickets for his Newcastle date.  I'd trust he's doing the Newport date!

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »
I have seen Sadowitz on a previous tour in an 80-percent empty theatre. I wouldn't take the lack of ticket sales to mean there's anything dubious about the show.

BritishHobo

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 05:11:46 PM »
Oh noooo, they've added a load of shows I really really really really really fucking want to see. They've got two works-in-progress of Stewart Lee's Snowflake/Tornado (although the two slots are 60 minutes each, one on Saturday one on Sunday, so it may be you get only get one of the shows), and Steffan Alun, who is the king of all Machynlleth for me.

Very tempted to impulse-buy those tickets and possibly just go for one night.

BritishHobo

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 12:40:08 PM »
Well, I'm going, aren't I. I always was, I don't know why I kid myself otherwise. More Glang Show thanks.

BritishHobo

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 10:09:58 PM »
Stewart Lee sold out.

ToneLa

• Kill your masters
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 02:55:32 AM »
Stewart Lee sold out.

I've been saying this for years!

BritishHobo

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 07:06:14 PM »
Ha!

Right, who else is in then? What're schedules looking like? I'm trying to pack mine out a little, stuck deciding between Kiri Pritchard-Mcclean and Emma Sidi for the Saturday 9:00 slot.

Anyone there on Friday should give The Death Hilarious a go. Loved them.

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 12:15:58 AM »
I've purposely held back on buying tickets as want to see as much new stuff as possible so didn't want to fill itinery with Stewart Lee etc.

If it is not sold out check out Fruit Loop by Lucy Pearman on Sunday afternoon. It is utterly silly puppet/clown/fucking about (mild threat - bit of audience participation but nothing anyone would feel uncomfortable with) and apart from Richard Gadd's guest comic bit was the longest and hardest I laughed at anything in Edinburgh last year and I saw shit loads of really good stuff. I'm going.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 12:48:22 PM »
My shows so far:

Friday: Showcase (Y Plas)
Sat: Lucy Pearman (WiP), Jordan Brookes, The Glang Show
Sunday: Lucy Pearman (Fruit Loop), Luke McQueen.

Got two Sean Morley tickets spare because of the Fruit Loop show.  Gutted to miss Morley, damn you, clashes.

Maybe list: Ray Badran (Australian so probably good), Abigoliah Schamaun, Garrett Millerick, Grennie McGuire, Ross Brierley, Tom Parry, Beth Vyse, Kay Bond, Steffan Alun, Jayne Adams, Catherine Bohart, Seymour Mace, Laura Lexx, Wacky Racists, Rosie Jones, Frank Foucault.

I'll probably buy the rest of the tickets after the next wave of announcements.  The theatre shows are still to come too.

BritishHobo

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »
I'm gutted as well, went for the Stewart Lee WiP even though I do reeeeeeally wanna see Morley.

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 02:03:36 PM »
I'm gutted as well, went for the Stewart Lee WiP even though I do reeeeeeally wanna see Morley.

I'd genuinely fuck Stewart Lee off and see Morley.  I saw a Stewart Lee WiP at Mach a few years ago, it was at the very beginning of him sorting out material for Content Provider, and it was literally him just reading out his articles for the Observer etc.  I wouldn't expect anything fleshed out for Snowflake/Tornado at this early stage.

EDIT: mind, I'm fully expecting Stewart Lee to tour Snowflake/Tornado in my neck of the woods around this time next year, your mileage may vary etc.

BritishHobo

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 05:48:58 PM »
Ach, I am tempted. Everything I read about Morley makes me want to see him. Would be interesting to see the very early stages of a Lee set though.

Considering getting the bus down on the Friday and maybe seeing The Death Hilarious and Sam & Tom. Can anyone advise what the showcases are normally like? They're the last big Mach thing I've not done, but they always look absolutely fucking knackering to me.

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »
I went to the Aberystwyth Showcase and it was great. Nice big crowd to start the weekend and short 10-15 min sets so plenty of chance to pop out for beer/toilet/break if you get a bit fidgety. TBH the 1 hour shows have more potential to drag if you happen to take a punt on a functional 3 star comic.

I would see Morley too. It's nice seeing Stew in a small room but his stuff always scales up well to the bigger rooms for the final touring show. Morley makes you feel like his shows are for you; just a lovely stage presence.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:34:43 PM by hummingofevil »

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »
Showcases are worth doing, they last two hours or so (these days), and you often get to see somebody who you've never heard of or never seen, that you'll end up enjoying.  This is how I discovered folk like Pat Cahill, whose shows I've seen every year since.  It's a big-ish room and there's a few drunk fuckers there who shout shit, but you usually have a Ed Gamble or Nish Kumar comparing that's good at shutting that sort of shit down.  Five or so minute sets and there's a break halfway through.