Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2019

Started by selectivememory, January 11, 2019, 01:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Well, I guess it's worth starting a thread after Andy Murray announced his retirement. He's hoping that Wimbledon will be his final tournament, but Melbourne might be the limit for him.

I mean, it's not remotely surprising, and after recent comments I was pretty sure that he was going to retire sometime this year, but I'm still pretty sad about it.

Anyway, Aussie Open gets going on Monday. Looks like the women's side is as wide open as ever, so that should be fun. With the men it depends as usual on whether the younger players can get their act together. Probably Djokovic wins it though without much of a struggle.

He was always been on borrowed time. His ankle ligaments are hanging by a thread. The big key to Roger Federer longevity was adopting a play style that was kinda to his body than the others in the big 4, who have all destroyed themselves somewhat trying to keep up.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 11, 2019, 01:15:10 AM
Well, I guess it's worth starting a thread after Andy Murray announced his retirement.

Surprised of course, but not shocked. He's looked physically buggered for a while now. Hope he can at least have a good last run at Wimbledon.

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on January 11, 2019, 01:25:49 AM
The big key to Roger Federer longevity was adopting a play style that was kinda to his body than the others in the big 4, who have all destroyed themselves somewhat trying to keep up.

Indeed. Even though he's the eldest I still wouldn't be surprised to see Fed outlast Nadal & Djokovic.

biggytitbo

Very sad about Murray, I thought he might still be able to come back considering what Del Potro did, getting back to the US Open final after his injury nightmares.

By a comfortable distance Britain's greatest ever sportsman imo.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

While still having an oddly unfulfilled career.

Yep, 3 majors, a Davis Cup winner (still bizarre to think GB ever won that), and Olympic gold and will probably still be just as remembered for the many excruciating defeats against the top players and maddening capitulations against some average ones.

No doubt if he had happened to be in his mid-twenties in between 98-04 he would have cleaned up 7/8 majors in that time.

He should set up in this tournament to play ultra-aggressive tennis. Swing his arms, try not to get moved around on court and just see what happens.

biggytitbo

3 majors, a Davis Cup, 2 Olympic golds, world number 1 for 41 weeks, an ATP title and 14 masters is a very very long way from an unfulfilled career in an era where the 3 greatest tennis players of all time dominated.

Beagle 2

I've loved Andy Murray ever since I saw some banal BBC tennis presenter ask him "You really put your parents through it in that match Andy, they were so emotional up there in the crowd, what do you say to them?" and he replied "I'm not really bothered. It was obviously harder for me".

Deanjam

My favourite Andy moment is at the ATP finals one year the contestants were asked their biggest fear. After a bunch of replies like 'failure' 'not reaching my potential' etc Andy answered 'DEATH'.

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on January 11, 2019, 05:41:21 AM
Indeed. Even though he's the eldest I still wouldn't be surprised to see Fed outlast Nadal & Djokovic.

I don't know about Djokovic though. His only real major injury so far was in the elbow, and that could have happened to any tennis player. His style of play is obviously more brutal on the body than Federer's, but he looks in good shape at the moment considering he's the same age as Murray. Things can change very quickly of course, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't the last of those three standing, and I think he's probably got a couple of very strong years left in him. But I think Federer's going to be the oldest one on retirement.

Mind you, I've lost count of the amount of times I've written Nadal off, and he always comes back. I would have put money on him retiring before Murray just a couple of years ago.

Deanjam

Yes, would be silly to write any of them off really. Nadal's record of picking up injuries on hard courts over the last 18 months is worrying though. Still, he'll probably be able to compete on clay till he's 75!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 11, 2019, 12:00:45 PM
3 majors, a Davis Cup, 2 Olympic golds, world number 1 for 41 weeks, an ATP title and 14 masters is a very very long way from an unfulfilled career in an era where the 3 greatest tennis players of all time dominated.

But then it is, because I can think of at least 3 majors that were his for the taking that he didn't take advantage of, and numerous tournaments where he lost against far lesser players.

It isn't intended as a criticism, just a fact.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

bgmnts

Will be nice not to have miserable cunt Murray whinge about his injuries.

BlodwynPig

Allez Pouille, let's have a more diverse final than the usual Nadal - Djoko.

Mlad has turned to shit in the singles, but her and Babos in the doubles final, and Mahut and my new favourite Herbert are in the men's doubles final.

selectivememory

If Osaka and Kvitova play as well as they have been up to this point, the women's final should be spectacular. Happy with either winning it, but would love to see Petra get another major after everything that happened to her. I think Osaka is going to be making many more finals in the next few years.

selectivememory

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 24, 2019, 02:27:55 PM
Allez Pouille, let's have a more diverse final than the usual Nadal - Djoko.

I still really enjoy that match up, so quite happy to see them in the final again, but those semifinals were still pretty depressing in how uncompetitive they were. Tsitsipas in particular I thought would have done better. I wasn't expecting either to win, but the gulf between Nadal/Djoko and the rest is vast at the moment.

Still, a decent tournament for Pouille after a dreadful 2018, so hopefully he can build on that. Don't think he's anywhere near his potential yet, so there's reason for optimism, and Mauresmo seems like a good fit for him as a coach.

selectivememory

Wow, that is one of the worst chokes I've ever seen from Osaka there. Utterly in control of the match and serving it out at 5-4 up in the second, and her game just completely abandoned her. She was doing so well at nullifying Petra's serve and forehand as well. Into a final set...

Edit: and she seems back on it in this third set. Hope for her sake that she can deal with the pressure this time around. Be very rough for her to lose after being so dominant.

selectivememory

Did a much better job of serving it out the second time around.

Very impressive few months. Two majors back-to-back, World #1. Kvitova wasn't great today though.

rjd2

She got it done in the end, two slams now. Shame as I wanted Petra to win, but Osaka is fun and I welcome any potential reign of terror from her. Ladies side was really entertaining this year, lots of good games indeed. Props also to DRC who has potential to be an excellent heel although she probably vanishes after this.

Rafa v Nadal is what the punters want, but just not arsed. Rafa constantly coming back from these injuries and playing astonishing tennis leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Deanjam

Quote from: rjd2 on January 26, 2019, 11:21:10 AM
Rafa v Nadal is what the punters want

They cloned him?

Anyway, Nadal/Djokovic is my least favourite 'big 4' match up, feeling like a war of attrition. Last man standing wins.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 26, 2019, 11:18:01 AM
Very impressive few months. Two majors back-to-back, World #1.

She seems to handle the pressure of the spotlight really well.

rjd2

Quote from: Deanjam on January 26, 2019, 11:38:58 AM
They cloned him?

Anyway, Nadal/Djokovic is my least favourite 'big 4' match up, feeling like a war of attrition. Last man standing wins.

Probably not to far away tbh. I know it brings in the money, but yeah a war of attrition. I know for some its a terrible thing to say but that Aussie final between them which went 12 days was no fun to watch whatsoever.

monolith

If it goes for 12 days and leads to that awful Spanish twat being injured for life then I'm all for it.

rjd2

Quote from: monolith on January 26, 2019, 12:02:40 PM
If it goes for 12 days and leads to that awful Spanish twat being injured for life then I'm all for it.

Rafa in a wheelchair is still favorite for the French open sadly.

Deanjam

Rafa in a coffin would be the French Open favourite.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sad for Kvitova and Osaka's histrionics seem a little bit forced and manipulative if you ask me. Could be wrong but there's just something there that suggests gallery playing

BlodwynPig

not a fan of Osaka at all. a bit brattish compared to the elegance and spirit of Kvitova

selectivememory

I guess the backlash was inevitable!

I think she's awesome. Don't get the "histrionic" or "brattish" criticisms at all. Quite happy if she is going to be the next dominant force in women's tennis. Would have liked Kvitova to win today, but hopefully she'll get another chance soon.