Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:35:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2019

Started by selectivememory, January 11, 2019, 01:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

Absolute farce that a grass slam this Pella mug is in a quarter final.  A reminder not that's it needed this is pretty much clay.

Poobum

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 08, 2019, 08:11:24 PM
Too much, to the point where there's no-one to back.

The fact Halep is around the top by virtue of little other than grim consistency says it all. Imagine a player like David Ferrer being the leading male player. It's simply evidence that there is no elite level anymore. It's just committed chugger fetches, flash in the pan stars and various hideously inconsistent mediocre charisma vacuums.

This is what we're doomed to once the golden triumvirate are gone, nobodies, big servers and Kyrgios being a "character".

sevendaughters

those that juiced in the late 00s still getting the benefits

rjd2

Djokovic v Goffin
Roger v Kei
Pella? v Agut
Nadal v Sam

The 4 men quarter finals all look dull on paper. Novak the easiest win for sure, Roger should be ok v Kei,,,Agut will end this Pella drivel and Nadal to beat Sam with minimum stress.

Riske v Serena
Konta v Strycova
Halep v Zhang
Svitolina v Muchova

Harder to call obviously. Serena should be ok although Riske has been great this grass season,, Konta will edge Strycova,,,Halep v Zhang looks comfortable. Svitolina  a little lucky so far, but Muchova will be tired.

Deanjam

Konta proving her Britishness by choking on centre court.

rjd2

Quote from: Deanjam on July 09, 2019, 04:55:52 PM
Konta proving her Britishness by choking on centre court.

Her style is so mechanical, Strycova way to canny for her since Konta imploded in set 1.

lankyguy95

The worst bottle job from Konta.

BlodwynPig

Konta is the Theresa May if tennis

Cuellar

Serena is my #queen.

Can't believe that reddit nerd is married to her. It's insanity.

Poobum

Konta is glorious at finding ways to lose. She must have really knuckled down and studied, to nail that performance of someone going in and out of a series of severe absence seizures.

BlodwynPig

Everyone still behind Aussie Golden Girl Konta after her latest spoilt brat temper tantrum?

Horrible person.

Never supported Murray but at least he learned to be magnanimous in defeat

sevendaughters

Konta's lightly shirty interview gets two of the top six windows on BBC Sport, they're flailing since Gauff went out

Cuellar

I thought she was right. Where did that guy get off? "You come in here, talking about how the opponent played, but when do you start BLAMING YOURSELF LIKE YOU SHOULD??"

"OH YEAH THANKS FOR THAT, GENUINELY DIDN'T THINK THAT I MIGHT NOT HAVE PLAYED BRILLIANTLY. CHEERS YOU WASTREL"

sevendaughters

33 unforced errors the best she can play?

Poobum

I think questioning someone's mentality in a sport where it's a crucial aspect of winning is appropriate, especially when it constantly costs you matches. Her waffling on flatly about the other player just came across as blind. She's better than Strycova, she should have beaten her, she didn't, her losing was her own fault. I mean if you play absolutely shit, you know, expect to be asked why.

Cuellar

Guy was a prick: "As someone who presumably wants to go on and win a grand slam one day..."

Poobum

It was an apt question considering the fact she didn't seem to care too much about bombing out of her home slam so tepidly when it was there for her to win. She was sitting there bull shitting, got called on it, and saying she was being picked on was pathetic. But I might be a bit biased by the BBC insessantly going on about her and Konta being a hyper dense void in space.

Deanjam

Quote from: Cuellar on July 10, 2019, 12:23:47 PM
Guy was a prick

Agreed. I'm no Konta fan, but he was being a nob on purpose to get a reaction.

sevendaughters

Her story did not add up. I think he was trying to make her look at her self-justification for bottling as a get out. Might not be his place to do so, but this Wimbledon was wide open for her.

selectivememory

The guy was a massive prick about it. It was a legitimate question, but it could have been asked in a nicer way, and then when she'd indicated that she'd said all she wanted to say on the subject he doubled down and was very patronising. Her reaction was fair enough as far as I can see.

The players have to do the press conferences or they get fined, but if they don't want to publicly reflect on why they played a bad match or whatever else, that's fair enough. It's not really anyone's business but hers anyway. I'm sure she knows that she has a bit of an issue in these big matches which she's expected to win. The press can ask questions, but I don't understand why they think they're entitled to an explanation. She's an athlete, not a politician.

EOLAN

Quote from: Poobum on July 10, 2019, 02:10:11 PM
It was an apt question considering the fact she didn't seem to care too much about bombing out of her home slam so tepidly when it was there for her to win.

In fairness, at this time of the year it was a bit harsh to bring up events from January (Bad-dum-tish)

sevendaughters

Ah, that's the game these days. Flat bat it. People talk like that to Kyrgios all the time. All the talent and chokes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I agree with selectivememory's take on it but Konta needs to find a better set of platitudes and heckling combat techniques.

Something like 'Say that again and I'll fucking cut you'

rjd2

Nadal v Djokovic final then.

Hopefully its better than the Aussie open shite, but damn this fucking match up bores me.

rjd2

Nice guy probably Goffin, but its really not good for a slam that someone so average like him is a wimbledon quarter final.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on July 10, 2019, 12:23:47 PM
Guy was a prick: "As someone who presumably wants to go on and win a grand slam one day..."

Konta has form for being a cunt - not the first time

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poobum on July 10, 2019, 02:10:11 PM
It was an apt question considering the fact she didn't seem to care too much about bombing out of her home slam so tepidly when it was there for her to win. She was sitting there bull shitting, got called on it, and saying she was being picked on was pathetic. But I might be a bit biased by the BBC insessantly going on about her and Konta being a hyper dense void in space.

Her home slam is the ozzie open

Cuellar

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 10, 2019, 11:34:26 PM
Konta has form for being a cunt - not the first time

Don't care - the cuntiest tennis player is stratospherically higher in my estimation than the greatest press conference sports journalist.

selectivememory

Nice to see Halep in a major final again. Has been a bit subdued since winning the French last year. Could be a really good final if it is Serena she plays.

Poobum

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 10, 2019, 11:35:23 PM

Her home slam is the ozzie open

Have you not heard? She's our Jo now. Our Jo out there training like a boss. Our Jo, with her cringe worthy VTs. She's our Jo, brave Brit, doing the nation proud as she plods about the tennis court like a scalextric gone human. She's our Jo for always and ever, so the tedious people say with their dead eyes.

I actually have no problem with Konta I feel the need to point out, just the stupid desperate hype surrounding her, and how it over shadows the massive deriliction of duty by  the LTA developing players in the UK.