Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2019

Started by selectivememory, January 11, 2019, 01:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Keebleman on July 14, 2019, 07:14:55 PM
Only turned on for the final set.  A measure of how exciting it was is that it wasn't until the last few minutes that I noticed that really hot blonde line judge.  There was a really good shot of her in the slow-mo of Djokovic falling over.  This is the only tennis I've watched all year, so the Wimbledon authorities perhaps should consider that more of hotties like her and I'll be tuning in a lot more regularly next year.

Dear lord yes she was hot...

Was there tension between McEnroe and Inverdale this year?

Deanjam

US Open is coming up. Exclusive to Amazon so I won't see any of it (like most of the ATP tour) but here is the men's draw.

Deanjam

Poobum

Mladenovic knocks Kerber out, mentioning cause I shared awkward eye contact with Mladenovic at Nottingham earlier this year. I live a life of glamour.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poobum on August 26, 2019, 08:06:37 PM
Mladenovic knocks Kerber out, mentioning cause I shared awkward eye contact with Mladenovic at Nottingham earlier this year. I live a life of glamour.

Awkward, how?

Anyway, obligatory short live allez! French women have been crap for a few years now outside of doubles and Fed cup

Poobum

I was hunching forward trying to look over a courtside speaker on the railing right in front of me, she was coming over psyching herself up ready for an important service game. She looks up right at me and our eyes lock for an uncomfortable second, she looks suddenly embarrassed and turns away to tennis. All totally innocent and on reading it back, quite uninteresting.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poobum on August 26, 2019, 11:20:56 PM
I was hunching forward trying to look over a courtside speaker on the railing right in front of me, she was coming over psyching herself up ready for an important service game. She looks up right at me and our eyes lock for an uncomfortable second, she looks suddenly embarrassed and turns away to tennis. All totally innocent and on reading it back, quite uninteresting.

Not at all, gives me the chills. I hope you inspired her service game

Poobum

Nope, got broken then went out in straight sets against Vekic, with a two hour rain delay in the middle of the match. She does have a charming gawkiness in general though, like a horse confused about how to control its new body after tripling in height within a year.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Federer far too good but Evans is doing OK in general, last real chance to go on a 2 year consistent run and get somewhere in his career.

rjd2

Evans was knackered, beating France's finest took a lot out of him.

He's had a nice 12 months or so, but fucking hell what a dipshit he is. He had the talent to be a regular top 40 player and maybe even win a 250 but wasted to much time been a knob.

selectivememory

Medvedev goading the crowd last night after his win over Lopez. I love how much he seems to be enjoying himself there. New York crowd terrible as always.

Quote from: rjd2 on August 31, 2019, 12:06:31 PM
He's had a nice 12 months or so, but fucking hell what a dipshit he is. He had the talent to be a regular top 40 player and maybe even win a 250 but wasted to much time been a knob.

I've been pretty impressed with him since he came back from the drug ban. Should have won Delray Beach earlier this year, but choked it away at the end of the final. He's still young enough that he's probably got a couple of years of being in the top 40 in him if he can stay healthy and out of trouble. I do find him far more interesting to watch than Edmund.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Is it just cos Medvedev is Russian?

selectivememory

Oh, he definitely brought some of it on himself (snatched his towel from the towel guy and flung it on the floor, gave the crowd the finger surreptitiously, which was then replayed on the big screen for everyone to see), but I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian thing was part of it. Also, Lopez does seem to be a crowd favourite these days, and it was a very competitive match.

Crowd was apparently cheering his every error though and really going for him, so his response in his interview there was perfect really.

Deanjam

Djokovic out to Stan on a retirement, although he was getting killed at the time anyway.

rjd2

https://twitter.com/27khv/status/1167744224927899648

Medvedev continuing to troll the US crowd.

US Open crowd can be obnoxious as booing an injured Novak proved.

Medvedev v Stan though will be an immense match though.

Deanjam

Novak's the one player I'm quite okay to see booed, especially because of his retirement history. Medvedev's also a bit of a knob, so I'm with the crowd on both of these. It's all a pantomime anyway. The overreaction the this stuff in some parts is embarrasing.

selectivememory

Sad for Dimitrov that he lost, but Medvedev has really been impressive this summer - four finals in a row (two of them Masters and now a major). Really hope that he can beat Nadal in the final, but not that optimistic. He is looking pretty tired now and seems to have all sorts of little injury niggles, and Rafa has had an easy time of it yet again.

Andreescu on the other hand I would have as favourite against Serena. She's going to win loads of majors in the next few years if she stays healthy (and she does seem a bit injury-prone unfortunately). Just an insane talent. One of the fastest rises I can remember in this sport, considering she wasn't even top 100 at the start of the year.

Poobum

Andreescu playing brilliant. It's strange, but it's got to be encouraging to see Serena at the other end of the court, knowing the more you go at her, and the more you stay in it, the closer she is to cracking. The mystique's gone, she's eminently beatable.

biggytitbo

HAHA as always brilliant to see Serena beaten, but especially so on her home turf.

Deanjam

Didn't see it because I'm not Amazonian, but happy to see Andreescu win.

Poobum

That last set was strange to say the least. Abysmal serving from Serena, felt like you could count first serves in on one hand. 48% apparently, seems far too high. The almost complete whiff summed up her recent final performances quite well I think, confusing, unbelieving, and shot through with epic tragedy.

selectivememory

Great result. Andreescu's results this year have been insane (probably most impressive is her 8-0 record against top ten players). Weird how Serena keeps blowing it in the finals though. I guess she's had very tough opposition in all of those finals, but still, she's been utterly outclassed every time.

Andreescu's the first major winner born in the 2000's. Still no men born in the 1990's to have won one yet.

BlodwynPig

BBC from now on

QuoteOsaka Andreescu loses in first round again

Dex Sawash

Nadal looks like his vital essence has been drained

selectivememory

Oh, looks like it was a good final. Shame Medvedev couldn't win it in the end.

bgmnts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/49839052

Why can't he just play tennis without being a child?

Deanjam

Because he's a knob who is indulged by the media, the tour, many fans and top players. He also only gets punished with suspended bans than conveniently occur when he's either injured or the major events are past. Why it took the ATP this long to give a virtual non punishment is ridiculous.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Deanjam on September 26, 2019, 08:22:57 PM
Because he's a knob who is indulged by the media, the tour, many fans and top players. He also only gets punished with suspended bans than conveniently occur when he's either injured or the major events are past. Why it took the ATP this long to give a virtual non punishment is ridiculous.
If you want to see him given a roasting on a fairly regular basis, the Australian comedy show "Have You Been Paying Attention?" mocks him pretty much constantly.

lankyguy95

Genuinely heartwarming moment seeing Andy Murray come back and win an ATP tournament. From a set down to Wawrinka as well. Amazing achievement.