Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:10:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another one of those "I'm going to such and such a country" threads...

Started by Neville Chamberlain, January 11, 2019, 11:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think JuicyJones has closed or was relocating. By the sounds of it we dodged a bullet.

Lots of blogs from 2010 or whatever look relatively modern but have tons of out of date info.

HappyCow is a reliable vegan directory but they often miss out restaurants that have since added 3/4 vegan options to the menu.

Neville Chamberlain

I went to Juicy Jones in about 2015 or something. It was indeed a lod of old shite.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quite envious of you, Iceland is a country I've been wanting to go to for fucking years, but never got round to . Fuck it, I'm going to see what I can do about going there this year. If you see a vaguely Victoria Pendelton-ish looking American girl walking around the place with two small children in tow, give her a "'Lisa says 'Hi.' " from me.Actually, on second thoughts, don't do that, she won't know what the fuck you're on about. Also, to echo yer man Shoulders, good luck on the shoestring budget front, I assume you won't be getting pissed up in Rekyavik, then.

MidnightShambler

If Reykjavik is anything like Oslo (which I imagine it is) then you'll be bored stiff if you're there for a week. And you'll also spend most of your trip saying 'fucking hell, I can't afford that'. I'm like you in that I love cities and their suburbs, just experiencing the general pace of life, but the cost of everything in Scandinavia makes that really hard to do on a budget. It's £10 for a beer. And a similar price for a can from a supermarket so you can't even do it on the cheap that way.

Not that I'm putting you off by the way, the people, the air, the scenery, the whole thing is fantastic. Just expensive, I don't think I mentioned that enough.

king_tubby

I didn't think the beer in the bars was that expensive, found a nice little craft ale place where they were knocking them out for about 7 quid a bottle. I've paid that in fucking Leeds, ffs.

Sebastian Cobb

Rent a car, the roads are a piece of piss and go round the island and cross most of the good bits. To the south east is where the common landmarks are, if you rent a motor you can easily cover the Golden Circle, Skogafoss, Vik, Reynisfjara, Selandjafoss, Jokulsarlon (definitely see this if you can) and Skaftafell.

I went in April a few years ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gormo/sets/72157655474244948

The North East looks spectacular and different and I keep meaning to go back and check that out at some point.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: king_tubby on January 11, 2019, 07:23:51 PM
I didn't think the beer in the bars was that expensive, found a nice little craft ale place where they were knocking them out for about 7 quid a bottle. I've paid that in fucking Leeds, ffs.

As I say I've not been to Reykjavik but I was comparing it to Oslo, which was nearly as expensive as Dubai. Provided you're not a serious alcoholic it's probably not that problematic though, the point was more that eating out, transport etc is quite dear if you're on a budget. £7 for a bottle of beer works out to nearly £14 a pint by the way, i'd say that's pretty dear.

Renting a car is the way forward, most of the memorable things are outside in the country anyway and they're all free.

Sebastian Cobb

The beer wasn't cheap, but it wasn't anywhere near as eye-wateringly expensive as the rumours suggested. It's not the sort of holiday you take to spend getting half cut all day while lazing about. I still managed a few pints most nights after getting back in the evening.

touchingcloth

I always think you haven't really done Iceland until you've popped your penis in one of its blowholes.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 11, 2019, 08:24:47 PM
I always think you haven't really done Iceland until you've popped your penis in one of its blowholes.

You're thinking of dolphins.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 11, 2019, 08:27:10 PM
You're thinking of dolphins.

What Iceland doesn't know about what's on my mind when we're intimate won't hurt it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: MidnightShambler on January 11, 2019, 08:14:30 PM
As I say I've not been to Reykjavik but I was comparing it to Oslo, which was nearly as expensive as Dubai. Provided you're not a serious alcoholic it's probably not that problematic though, the point was more that eating out, transport etc is quite dear if you're on a budget. £7 for a bottle of beer works out to nearly £14 a pint by the way, i'd say that's pretty dear.

Renting a car is the way forward, most of the memorable things are outside in the country anyway and they're all free.

it might possibly just be an Oslo thing, from what i've heard it's notorious for that. Last time i was there i assumed it was just an exaggeration but no, every cunting thing costs exactly twice as much as it is meant to. Still, you get some nice coins with holes in the middle so it's not entirely a waste of several hundred pounds.

canadagoose

What time of year are you going at? If it's September to April, look out for the aurora borealis - I think there's also a service that buses you out to a rural church so you can see it more easily, although we even managed to see them from the hotel we were staying at in the Háaleiti area.

Whale watching was also good, and the sunset from the harbour was pretty impressive as well. I've got a pic somewhere.

Amusingly, there's also a branch of Iceland (the supermarket) in Kópavogur, but it's the same stuff the UK one sells.

EDIT: When you're in the airport on the way back, remember not to get too drunk on the local beer in the bar - it's after security so there's no duty on it, so it's a lot cheaper than in the rest of the country. Very tempting to have a few too many 10% Borg stouts.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd advise against ploughing too much effort into seeing the borealis, there's so much beauty on the island you can see without it being a gamble.

Although I lived in Aberdeen at the time and could've probably seen it in the 10 years that I spent there. It took me 3 to see the beach in daylight though.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 11, 2019, 10:01:33 PM
I'd advise against ploughing too much effort into seeing the borealis, there's so much beauty on the island you can see without it being a gamble.
This is true, although we saw it fairly easily in October, in spite of a lot of overcast days. We were only there about 5 nights, too. Maybe we were lucky.

Edit: Shitty photo I took from my budget Samsung Galaxy phone:

Honestly, it's nicer in real life. It took absolutely ages to capture it on camera.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on January 11, 2019, 10:02:50 PM
This is true, although we saw it fairly easily in October, in spite of a lot of overcast days. We were only there about 5 nights, too. Maybe we were lucky.

My parents went a few years before me and paid to get bussed out, I think it came with some sort of 'if you can't see it the first night you can go the next' type deal, they did see it but it was a bit of a faff apparently. I just wanted to see the interesting geology and stuff without putting constraints on it and think I did better because of it.

If you can catch it without any effort then you're doing well though.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 11, 2019, 10:01:33 PM
Although I lived in Aberdeen at the time and could've probably seen it in the 10 years that I spent there. It took me 3 to see the beach in daylight though.
Heh, I never saw it in Aberdeen either and I was there about 5 years - I think the light pollution from the city was too much.

I've vaguely seen them from Edinburgh, once. They weren't as impressive as this - I don't think I was in the right spot.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Heya you lot,
I am in Prague right now for some reason and it seems pretty cool but I know very little about it except that all the corner shops sell absinthe and weed biscuits. Currently my plan is as follows:
1. Wander around
2. Go up that big castle on the hill
3. Drink a fuck load of cheap good beer

If anyone has other recommendations that would be cool

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on January 14, 2019, 08:12:53 PM
Heya you lot,
I am in Prague right now for some reason and it seems pretty cool but I know very little about it except that all the corner shops sell absinthe and weed biscuits. Currently my plan is as follows:
1. Wander around
2. Go up that big castle on the hill
3. Drink a fuck load of cheap good beer

If anyone has other recommendations that would be cool

Depends what you like doing, there is an awful lot to do.

Sightseeing:

The main "Royal Route" is worth doing, and takes you across a solid 30 minutes worth of beautiful architecture and monuments.

https://wikitravel.org/en/Royal_Way_of_Prague

I have designed a bar crawl that starts with this walk and then doubles back along many of the best central pubs that line that route:

https://[SPAM - REMOVED].com/bar-crawls-prague-the-royal-route/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I recommend getting a pass on public transport so you can see some of the city by tram as well. The trams are regular and usually pretty comfortable. Don't be afraid of going outside the old town, some of the outlying districts like Vinohrady and Zizkov are really interesting.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pubs:

This is simply a copy-paste job of a word document I have going - but it's divided by district and there is a brief summary of local attractions. Don't worry I'm not under any illusions you'll visit even 2% of these but it might help if you're somewhere specific and need food/beer.

Prague pub crawls:

http://94.23.169.52/europe/czech-republic/hlavni-mesto-praha/okres-hlavni-mesto-praha/

Strahov/Brevnov

8/10 - U Prezidentu (Mon-Fri12-12)
Local life, rustic hospoda/saloon atmosphere in a kitsch way with pictures of presidents. Reasonable prices, for beer, and food.(100-150kc)

8/10 - Hostinec Drinopol (Mon-Sun 11-11 -  G 33, PU 39, dark K 28)
Typical 'time stood still' Czech pub, fair value but primarily an authentic experience. Small hot food menu for 110kc a dish.

8/10 - Na Zaverce (Mon-Sun 11-12 Gamb tank 26, Plzen, 36)
Old fashioned local's pub, wooden walls and cabin-like surroundings. Very affordable Gambrinus + food for 90-120czk

8/10 – Pivovar Strahov (Mon-Sun 10-10, own brews for 50+)
Monastery taproom and restaurant, dabbling in craft styles, and very well reputed for food and drink.

8/10 - Na Hradku (11-01, Star 26, Kozel 29, Nefilt Star 32, Plzen 38)
Very cheap beer and decent price food (150kc), an old fashioned local's place, large main room with vaulted beams, opens late.

8/10 - Majk L'Atmosphere (Klubik)
(Secretive night-time dive bar with local beers, much vaunted, no details available!)

Features:
1 brewery tap
1 night bar (something different)
4 hospodas
Different beers: U Prezidentu/Pivovar Strahov
Best Value: Na Hradku, Na Zaverce
Most hyped: U Prezidentu
Backup pub – Na Hubalce (3.30-12, very cheap and beer oriented, looks good)
Local tourist sights: Brevnov + Strahov Monastery/Strahov Stadium/ Park Ladrona/Park Obora Hvezda
Transport: Tram 22 from Pohorelec

Mala Strana/Hradcany

10/10 - U Cerneho Vola (Mon-Sun 10-10 – Kozel light and dark 40, PU)
Classic old pub, stamgasty table, tapster bellowing at tourists to sit down, ever more portly server, black tables and simplicity.

8/10 - U Baracnicka Rychtar (Mon-Sun 11:30-11:30 PU 47, Svijany 42)
Popular hostinec off the Mala Strana main drag, wooden, quite clean and orderly restaurant. Usually must have food with drink. (200-350kc)

7/10- U Magistra Kelly – (Gamb 25, PU 35, Koz 30, Mon-Sun 12-11)
A very well reviewed Pivnice in classic design with a small and affordable menu. Unsure about the pub-stylings, may be a restaurant-pub. (130-200kc)

10/10 - U Hrocha (Mon-Sun 12-11 – sometimes booked for private functions)
A classic cosy pub with two rooms, the taproom itself is one of the best pubs in Prague. PU all the way.

7/10 - U Kocoura (Mon-Sun 12-11 – PU, Kozel, Bernard)
Traditional pub in the heart of the tourist zone, hiding in plain sight. Not as appealling as those above when quieter, but good beer and an authentic atmosphere.

7/10 - U Glaubicu (10.30-11 - PU 33, dark Kozel 29)
Classic curved ceiling Pivnice, cheap PU but they make the loss back with the food prices. Possibly worth diving in for a quick pint if possible, but not a true pub.

8/10 - Kellyxir (Kozel 29, Plzen 39, Gamb 10, 29)
Atmospheric 'laboratory' cellar bar with alchemist instruments and neon lights. Worth exploring.

3 drinking pubs
2 pivnices
1 night bar
Different Beers: None - tough luck
Best value: U Glaubicu, U Kocoura
Most hyped: U Glaubicu
Backup pubs: – U Krale Brabantskeho, U Dvou Sluncu, U Klicu
Local sights: Prague castle, cathedral, Loretanska, Palace/KGB Museum/Lennon wall/Valdstejnska gardens/Kafka museum/Kostel st. Mikulase
Transport: Metro: Malostranska/Charles Bridge/ Tram#22 #23

Mustek/Wencelas Square

7/10 - U Stare Posty (Mon-Fri 9-11, Sat-Sun 11-10, Gamb 34, PU 38, dark Kozel 34)
Taproom in this pub-restaurant carries a proper pub atmosphere with a suitably cosy feel and authentic slice of local life. Food 120-200kc

7/10 - U Zajice (Mon- Sun – 12-12 Kynsperk Pivovar range)
Cellar Pivnice with a pub area by the bar and slightly alternative feel with Kynsperk Pivovar beers. Food for around 180czk per main dish

8/10 - Citerna Unijazz (Mon-Sun – 2pm-10.30pm, 32kc for pullitr)
Café pub with a retro library feel. Walk through Jindrisska Pasaz, ring buzzer, walk through brown door from the atrium to the fourth floor.

9/10 - Jelinkova Pivnice (PU 40, snacks around 40 each, Mon-Fri 11-11, Saturday 10-6, Closed Sunday)
One of the classic old town PU drinking holes. All standing in the taproom. Bar snacks only

8/10 - U Pinkasu (Mon-Sun 10-11.30)
One of the finest PUOR's, prime location, well kept PU and an authentic atmosphere. Food (200-400)

7/10 - U Kruhu (Mon-Sun 3-11, PU pub – PU 43, Kozel 11 – 37, Kozen dark 37) 
Some subtle modern touches to this cosy pivnice. Food (140-220)

7/10 – Branicka Formanka (Mon-Sun – 11-11, Branik 27 for the 12, 25 for the 10)
Pajzl for Branik beer. A simple basement pub with wooden benches, geared for nothing except drinking and chatting.

Local sights: Muchovo museum/Jindrisska vez/Prasna Brana/Wencelas Square/Palac Lucerna (and the other Palac's)/Franciscian Gardens behind church

1 brewery tap
2 drinking pubs
4 Tank PU pubs
Different beers: U Zajice
Best value: Branicka Formanka
Most hyped: Jelinkova Pivnice
Back up: Ferdinanda, Bredovsky Dvur, Joystick Bar, Kavarna Lucerna
Transport: Metro station Mustek

Old town 1

7/10 - U Tri Ruzi (11-11 Sun-Thu, 11-12 Fri-Sat, Lager 56, Red 56, Dark 56, APA 65, Monastic 65)
Own brew beers in 0.4l servings at high prices. Pleasant pivnice with brewkit at the bar.

7/10 - U Parlamentu (11-11 all days a week)
Old fashion central institution, dark wood restaurant-pub,(190 for mains)

9/10 - U Zlateho Tygra (3pm start, PU 45czk)
Hrabal's pub, PU conveyor belt, authentic décor. More of a museum for tourists during the afternoon, with seats reserved for locals in the evening. Be there on the dot or not at all.

7/10 - U Dvou Kocek (11-11 all days, PU, Lobkowicz, Rychtar, potentially their own light and dark beer?)
Old fashioned bordering on crusty central institution in classic Czech pivnice style but with a pub feel despite the food service.  (Very cheap denni menu, 100czk)

8/10 - U Medvidku (Mon-Sun 11.30-11, bar stays open longer)
Budvar and mini-brewery, along with a classic cavernous Czech pivnice, and upstairs brewing area serving their strong OldGott beer.

8/10 - U Vejvodu (Mon-Thu- 10-3 Fri-Sat- 10-4 PU 43, Kozel 43)
Ground floor pub with good beer + live sport, good atmosphere, table service, and enormous basement pivnice downstairs.

3 minibreweries
Different beers: U Tri Ruzi, U Medvidku
Most hyped: U Parlamentu
Local sights: Old town square, Klementinium/Josefov/Charles bridge/Old town/Museums
Transport: Tram#2, Metro: Mustek, Staromestska

Old Town 2

7/10 - U Dobrenskych (2pm-midnight, Svetly lezak, 56czk, Tribulus 72czk, stout 65, Lemongrass 65, Lavender 65)
Modern, plain but tasteful cellar minibrewery focusing on herbal/unusual beers

7/10 – Pivovar Borsov (Mon-Sat 11-11, Sun 5-10 –own brews with a few other options)
Revamped since last visit – now 0.4l servings only, trad Czech  beer, cellar + brick styling.

8/10 - U Rudolfina (Mon-Sun 11-11.30)
Pleasant taproom on ground floor, bustling Pivnice downstairs with curved ceilings in the classic style (Food: 150-250kc)

8/10 - Hany Bany (10-midnight Mon-Fri, 4-midnight Sat-Sun. 39 Staro unfiltered, 42 PU)
Cosy young person's pub, small by Czech standards, a proper pub by any measure.

8/10 - U Rotundy (Mon Sun 10-11. Staro 27)
No nonsense 'four', a pub from another era with a dodgy telly, scraggy pub furniture but great food, local character and dirt cheap beer. (Food: 95-170)

8/10 – Zazemi  (Tues-Sun -3-2 – multitap options)
Studenty ramshackle bar with live music, a bustling crowd and a decent range of drinks.

2 mini breweries
1 night bar
Best Value: U Rotundy
Most hyped: Hany Bany
Local sights: Old town square/Klementinium/Josefov/Charles bridge/Old town/Museums
Backup – U Pivrnce
Transport: Tram#2, Metro: Mustek, Staromestska

Nove Mesto, Riverside

7/10 - U Fleku (10-11 all days. Flekovsky lezak 59)
Enormous ornate beer hall, the 2nd most famous in Prague, with a museum brewing tour.

8/10 – Bajkazyl (Naplavka 11, 40, Kormidelnik tmavy 50, Special 55)
Bike repair shop/craft ale bar, possibly better in summer as an outdoor venue.

8/10 - U Plavcu (5-11 Monday-Friday – Closed SAT/SUN - PU 43, Bernard 30)
Nautical themed local's pub, off the beaten path

7/10- U Kalendu (11-11 Mon-Sun – Primator tankove 35, 39 and other regionals)
Attractive venerable location for a drink and possibly food (Food 140-250czsk)

8/10 - Mala Bretan (4pm-3am , PU 45, dark Kozel 38, light Kozel 33, Gwern nefiltrovany 38)
Brittany themed bar, traditional good food, well recommended (Food – variable 110-300kc)

8/10 - U Zaludu (Star/Kozel + Krkonoss for 30)
Inexpensive characterful Staro pub with a great atmosphere inside (Food 90-140kc)

8/10 - Sucha Dasen (3-2am Star 24, PU 33)
A true local's evening place with a young crowd, corner pajzl with character

8/10 – Vzorkovna (Mon-Fri 5-3, Sat-Sun 6-3 Unetice, multitap options)
Exciting multiroom alternative venue, some music rooms, some hangout rooms, key-chain payment system, some dodgy hipster moves like beer in jam jars.

Interesting venues: Bajkazyl, Vzorkovna
Best value: Sucha Dasen, U Zaladu
Different beers: U Fleku, Bajkazyl
Most hyped: U Fleku
Backup venues: U Parasutistu, Bar No 7 (happy hour Uneticke for 24), U Bubenicku
Local sights: U Fleku brewery tour, Palac Zofin, National theatre, Heroes of Heydrich, Dancing house, Island
Transport: Tram #17, Metro: Karlovo Namesti

Nove Mesto  (central)

7/10 - Pivovarsky Dum (11-11 every day)
Microbrewery with 8 beers and simple decent pub

8/10 - U Sumavy (11-12, 10 degrees for 35, the rest 45 and upwards)
Simply designed eatery/pub in the Slovanske Lipy style, regional Czech beers.

7/10 - Novomestsky Pivovar (11-12 – Svetly/Tmavy 45 – beer for 25kc between 10am-2pm!! 1l PET bottle Mon-Fri between 10-5)
Microbrewery and expansive countrified restaurant, not a pub.

9/10 - Kulovy Blesk (11-11 Mon-Fri, 5-11 Sat, Sun, more expensive)
Huge rotating beer range and very popular place larger than it initially looks.

8/10 - U Pravdu (11-11, brew own beer + others such as unetice)
Simple drop in place with characterful décor for large portions, particularly ribs. (Food 120-250kc

7/10 - Pivoteka Illegal (Mon-Sat 5-12- closed Sunday)
Young crowd, neighbourly drop in place focused on beer, décor a bit plasticky but improved upon.

7/10 – Uterus (a.k.a Na Krizovatce) (10-11, closed Sunday, Gamb 10 – 24kc PU 34, Kozel 27, Gamb nefiltrovany 34)
Normal Gambrinus greasy spoon, popular with students (Food- 90kc-130kc)

6/10 - U Sudu  or Pivni Bar Pol-In

2 microbreweries
3 craft beer places
Most hyped: Kulovy Blesk
Backup venues: U Vocka
Local sights: U Fleku brewery tour, Palac Zofin, National theatre, Heroes of Heydrich, Dancing house, Island, Karlovo Namesti
Transport: Metro: I.P.Pavlova, Tram #3, Tram#6

Vinohrady (lower)

7/10 - U Bohouse (11-11, Prince Max 27, Lobkowicz 34, Chlumecky Vit 38)
Traditionally decorated dark wood lunch spot, classic hospoda style. (Food 100kc Denni menu)

7/10 – Beer Garden Riegrovy Sady (12-12)
Terrace in park overlooking Zizkov

8/10 - Pod Smetankou (11-12 all days PU 39, Hubertus full range, 10 is 26)
Legendary venerable wood-panel drinking den, occasional live music (Denni menu for 100czk)

7/10 – Pasticka (Mon-Sat 11-11.30 Closed Sunday, Bernard range)
Czech pivnice with a slight US saloon feel – for food, not the cheapest, mid-range (Food 190-230)

7/10 - Dno Pytle (Opens at 4pm Mon-fri, 6pm on weekends, regional Czech beers)
Low key craft pub, multitap on rotation, bottles piled high, pizza, atmosphere a tad lacking

8/10 - Decentni dyne (4pm-1pm all days. Une 10, 36, Une 12 45, and various other Ales for 55 plus)
Table games – characterful venue,

8/10 - Beer Bar Blanicka (Mon-Fri 3-1, Sat-Sun 5-1, Chotebor 33, Primator 39, rotating taps)
Simple late night drinking spot with a young crowd, occasional live music + multi-tap regional options

1 beer garden
Most Hyped: Pod Smetanku
Backup – Poco Loco (Comfortable living room basement bar with a friendly crowd), Hostinec na Schudku (friendly and dirt cheap Gambrinus pub)
Transport: Tram #11#13 from Museum, Metro Jiriho z Podebrad

Namesti Miru

7/10 – Bruxx  (11-12 every day. Belgian beer + 1 own label beer + large bottle menu between 80-110 per bottle)
Belgian beer, ornately decorated brasserie with high ceilings, pricey food (260kc-400kc)

7/10 - Nota Bene/Maly Velky (Mon-Fri 11-11, Sat 5-11, Closed Sunday) Own brews, regional, craft)
Modern café/restaurant with downstairs craft bar which opens at 4pm. Exposed brickwork, a brew pub format + expensive food.

6/10 - U Dandu (10-11 every day 35 for PU, 30 for Gamb)
Old fashioned Gambrinus insignia pub, large portions, atmospheric throwback if you get seated at the right time, drab if not. (Food 90-150kc)

8/10 – Na Brezance (11-12 every day Unfiltered + tank Gambrinus, PU – between 36-42 kc
Simple light wood hostelry, looks more restaurant than pub-like. (Food 90-130kc)

8/10 - U Deminky (10-10 every day – PU40, Krakonos 27, Gamb 29, Kacov 25)
PUOR pub but one of the older characterful ones  - v cheap Hubertus, Krakonos + Gambrinus, and the look of a proper pub. Cheap too. (Denni menu 90-110kc)

8/10 - Balbinova Poeticka Hospudka (3-12 Monday to Friday, 6-12 on weekend)
Poetry cellar pub, for performances and atmosphere. PU on tap.

7/10 – Nubeerbar (Mon-Sun 4pm-12pm)
22 taps, czech regionals, european and craft beer. Undramatic but pleasant surroundings. No idea of price, probably high.

8/10 – Café Jehuda (5-12 Mon-Wed, 7-2 Thu-Sat, Closed SUN, Unetice 36, Svijany 24)
Despite the name, a proper pub with dark wood furniture, local life and cheap beer.

Back up venues: Soma Bar – (Mon-Fri - 5-4 – happy hour beer for 10kc between 5-6, Sat-Sun 7-2) Small mid-00s kind of towny bar, Kolcavkou beer. Worth it for the happy hour.- Mlsnej Kocour (11-12 7 days a week, Kozel + PU at town prices)
Modern, dark green PUOR type thing along a bar– a clean/standard lunch spot.
Different venue: Balbinova Poeticka Hospudka
Most hyped: Nota Bene
Transport: Tram #22 from old town + Tram 13# from Museum

Vrsovice

7/10 - U Bulinu (11-11 every day 50 for PU, 40 for Gamb)
Bright lunch place, not much of a pub but very well reviewed food (Denni menu – 90-110kc)

7/10 – Pivnice Na Trzisti (9-11, Branik, Svijany, Bernard + PU)
A potential good old dive bar on an otherwise fashionable street. No food info.

7/10 – Pivnice U Sadu (Vrsovice) (10-10 Mon-Fri, 12-10 Saturday Sunday, Kozel 11 25, Gambrinus 10 24, Kozel Dark 25)
Local Gambrinus insignia corner pub with some regional and craft options, mid-range prices

7/10 - U Klokone (10-12 all days, Star 10, 30, dark star 33, Krakonoss bottles)
Traditional wooden pub restaurant, cheap beer and a backstreet local vibe. (Denni menu – 110kc)

8/10 - Zubaty Pes (4pm-10pm all days - Mainly Czech craft with 4/5 other rotations)
Modern multi-tap bar more about beer than decoration or atmosphere. No signage allowed so look for the sign 'Faron' on the building and it's the door directly below.

7/10 – Bohemia Boards and Brews (4pm-11pm – closed Mondays, Zemske Pivo 45)
Board game pub/café, 60zk per person for use of the equipment, modern but cosy.

8/10- Pivnice Ferdinand (Mon-Fri 2-10, Sat-Sun 4-10, Ferdinand 10, 28, 11, 31, dark 32, sedm kuli 28)
Proper pub with a proper crowd, rotating beers, corner seating, classic taps.

7/10 - Café Sladovsky (10-1, 5-1 on Saturday Unetice for 37)
Characterful antiquey café/lunch spot with good beers. More of a café during the day, potential for atmosphere in the late evening.

7/10 – Vacuum Art Bar (hrs unknown, Kozel 29, Svijany 28)
Lively well reviewed night place, music, table football and local young life.

8/10 - Boudoir U Sta Ran (5-1 all days, Svijany range for 35czk)
Brooding café bar

2 night places
1 craft ale place
Most Hyped: Zubaty Pes
Sightseeing: Krymska street 'happening area'/ Park Habvlickovy sady, Grotto and pavilion, Bohemians football
Backup: U Sarejch Hadru, dive pub with metal on the box, opens at 5pm
Transport: Tram #22 from old town + Tram 13# from Museum, Tram #4 from Andel

Vysehrad/Nusle

8/10 - Pivovar Basta/U Bansethu (Mon-Sun – 11/12 – Multitap/PU hospoda)
Two places in one, first a multitap mini-brewery, second a classic czech hospoda

7/10 - U Klokocnika (11-11 all days. Bernard on tap 30, 34, 35, 37 + rotating Kacov/Unetice/Matuska etc)
Simple, clean mix of modern and trad hospoda, popular. (Food: 170-200kc)

8/10 – Na Hradbach (2-12 Mon-Fri, 12-12 Sat-Sun Kozel light/dark 10m 34, PU 45)
Vysehrad overlooking the lower district, great views. Wooden pub-like interior and hyped balkan grill for food.

7/10 – Na Klikovce (10-12, 11-2 Saturday, 11-10 Sunday, Tank Gamb 26, PU 36, dark Kozel 30)
Standard PU decorated pub, wooden panels + furniture and as could be expected in most respects. Extensive food menu, cheap denni menu for 90kc

9/10 - Zly Casy (Mon-Fri 2-2, Sat-Sun 5-1 – multitap options between 40-80, lots of craft ale)
Many floored beer mecca, low key with some pub food.

8/10- Galerka – (Mon-Sat 5-11, Sun 7-11, Czech regionals on tap)
Wine bar looks, but great beers on tap at normal prices, not much décor to speak of but live music and good reviews.

7/10 - Bar Albertov (4-4 every day, Chodovar 25, Staropramen/Kozel)
Local's place for pool + beers.

7/10 – Brach Na Triku (7-1am - regionals for between 25-35)
Characterful little DIY pub, way off the beaten track.

Best value: Bar Albertov
Interesting Venue: Na Hradbach
Most Hyped: Zly Casy
Sightseeing: Vysehrad castle area, Nusle bridge, Nusle town hall, Folimanka park
Transport: Metro station Vysehrad, Tram#18 from old town

Vinohrady (Upper)

7/10 - Vinohradsky Pivovar (Mon-Sun 11-2. 11' 44, APA 52, Jantarova 13 28, Weiss 46, 12' 47)
Brewery tap with modern take on Pivnice, small affordable denni menu.

8/10 - U Bergneru (10.30-11 Kozel 10,11 and dark 31, PU 39)
A truly old fashioned pub, pajzl with 100kc denni menu

7/10 – BeerGeek (3pm-2am Mon-Sun, Beers 60kc and rising)
Multitap beer library in a modern style, predictable remarks about cost and hipsters

7/10- U Ruzoveho Sadu (10.30-12, PU 41, Gamb 29, Kozel 31)
Corner hospoda, local life and popular for lunch and PM drinking. (Denni menu 92kc)

8/10 - Los v Oslu (Mon-Fri – 11:30-1am)
Czech and belgian beers, try downstairs for the cozier section

9/10 - U Vodoucha (Mon-Sun 11-12)
Classic homely and cosy, down to earth pub, rustic countrified décor, simple. (Denni menu 120-180kc)

7/10 - Pivni Senk U Kacire (4-11 Mon-Fri, 6-11 Sat, Closed Sunday)
Cellar pub, good selection of Czech regionals, decent prices, unanimously well reviewed

1 brewery
1 craft beer place
Best value: Pivni Senk U Kacire
Most hyped: Pivni Senk U Kacire
Backup: U Zachu (dirt cheap, classic hospoda with good beers) Pivo a Parek, Hospudka V Atelieru (cheap + good to drink), Hospudka Pohoda (dirt cheap + very local)
Sightseeing: Farmer's market in Jiriho z Podebrad, Vinohrady water tower, Olsany cemetery
Transport: Flora Metro #3, Tram #11 + #13 from Muzeum, Tram#5 from Jindrisska Vez

TV Tower  (Jiriho z Podebrad)

7/10 - U Ficku (Mon-Sat 12-11, Closed Sunday, Brez 29, Zlato 29, Dacicke 33)
Traditional wooden drop in pub, exposed brick cellar, good character and occasional live music. (Food 110-160kc)

8/10 - U Houdku (11-12 Mon-Sun, PU and Kozel)
Characterful pub restaurant with wood, red walls and shady lanterns. (Food 140-220kc)

7/10 - U Kurelu (Mon-Sun, 5-11 Zemske unfiltered 39, polot 46, PU 46)
Some homely character in this hospoda. Reliable westernised food options for 170kc +

8/10 - Hospudka Nad Viktorkou (opens at 4 stays open late, dark Krus+PU for 30 and 40)
A true cosy vital pub, with a rep for slightly snarly service, historical revolutionary plotting parlour downstairs. (Food for 90kc)

7/10 - Tudle Nudle (1-1 Mon-Fri, 4-1 Sat-Sun, Breznak 10 for 22, 12 for 26)
Cheap dive bar, basement drinking, simple, young crowd and local life, free table football

9/10 - U Sadu (Mon-Wed 8-4, Thu-Sun 8-2)
Large, characterful cult pub with bric-a-brac, multiple amenities and great beer.

Cheap pub crawl
Best value: U Ficku
Most Hyped: Tudle Nudle
Backup: Sesterna Bar (friendly service, Primator and Svijany), U Trojky (Gamb pub, very drink oriented 25kc)
Sightseeing: TV tower, Army Museum, Olsany cemetery, Vitkov hill and memorial Palac Akropolis, Nakladovheo Nadrazi (art space in a railroad depot), Viktoria Zizkov football
Transport: Metro Jiriho z Podebrad

Zizkov (Lower)

7/10 - Pivovar Victor (Mon-Sun 12-11)
Mini-brewery pub with rustic home-cooked food and a good dark beer.

7/10 - U Pizducha (Mon-Fri 11-1, Sat-Sun 2-1, Svijany 29, Rohozec 26, Cvikov 29)
Old fashioned, crusty, small characterful dive bar, uncomplicated and well reviewed for beer

7/10 - U Jary (Mon-Sat – 11-11, Sun 11-10 Pernstejn 30 and Pardubucky Porter 45)
Characterful traditional dark wood pub restaurant, well reviewed for food and fresh beer. Good décor but not enough of a pub feel. (Food: 120-205kc)

8/10- Pivni Lokal Ostry (4pm-12pm Mon-Friday, Closed SAT/SUN, Aldersbacher Weiss 40, Svetly Lezak 35, rotating Czech tap)
Simple excellently reviewed pub with a down to earth local feel.

8/10 - U Slovanske Lipy (Mon-Sat – 11-12 Sun 11-11 6 multitap Czech regionals)
Rustic, genteel pub with country stylings and simple fair food.

9/10 - U Vystrelenyho Oka (Mon-Sat 4.30-1, Closed Sunday Gamb and Koz 28, PU 38)
Renowned friendly and lively, cosy interior and a true drinking pub in form and function.

7/10 - Tiky Taky Bar (7pm-5pm every day)
Zizkov institution, focused on mixers and cocktails

1 brewery
Best value: U Pizducha
Most hyped: U Vystrelenyho Oka
Different venue: Tiky Taky bar
Backup: Planeta Zizkov (well reviewed fun drinking hole, Gamb 10 for 34), U Habasku (Cellar pub, well reviewed, Uneticke 12 37, 5pm-3), Volvox Globator
Sightseeing: TV tower, Army Museum, Olsany cemetery, Vitkov hill and memorial Palac Akropolis, Nakladovheo Nadrazi (art space in a railroad depot), Viktoria Zizkov football
Transport: Tram #5 from Wencelas Square, Tram #9 from National theatre

Florenc/Karlin

8/10 - Pivovarsky Klub (Mon-Sun 11-11.30)
Beer mecca, simple taproom upstairs and restaurant downstairs, décor not flashy but food and drink good quality.

7/10 - Pristav 18600  (12-10.30 Mon-Fri, Kacov, other craft beer for above average prices)
Riverside craft ale shack – potentially not open in the winter months

7/10 - Karlinska Pivnice (Mon-Sun 11-12, 82 for a litre PU, Pilsner and Kozel at town prices)
Modern but quite stylish tank PU pivnice, well known for good duck.

6/10- U Baby (Mon-Fri10-10 Staropramen 26)
A back in time Star-branded dive, very cheap food and the usual 'range' of beer. (Food: 90kc)

9/10 - U Tunelu (11-11 Mon Fri, Closed SAT/SUN, Konrad range, between 28-35)
Simple, but characterful wooden corner pub with Konrad range, (Denni menu 120kc)

6/10 – Bad Flash (Mon-Fri 8.30-11, Sat-Sun 5-11, czech craft for 65+)
Multitap joint with fairly upscale décor, nothing special atmosphere wise

7/10 – Diego Pivni Bar (Mon-Sun 4.30-12 8 taps of ales and Czech lager
Mexican food in a pub-like cellar, a bit of bar character.

Best value: U Tunelu
Most hyped: Pivovarsky Klub
Backup: Pivni Mosaika (bottle shop) Peter's Burger Pub, Lokal Hamburk (proper taproom area)
Sightseeing: River, Lyckovo Namesti square, Main Point Karlin, Kaizlovy Sady park, Karlin farmers market (Saturday mornings)
Transport: Metro Florence, Metro Krizikova, Tram #3 + #24 from Wencelas Square

Liben

8/10 - U Rokytky – (10.30-10.30 Mon-Fri, 11-11 Saturday - Svijany range between 26-33)
Good food, clean, fairly modern premises, more of a restaurant. (Denni menu -85-130)

7/10 - Pivovar u Bulovky – (11-11 Mon-Fri, 12-12 Sat-Sun, 32 and 35 for the main beers)
Clean traditional dark wood hostinec décor, giving this new brewery tap a classic pub feel.

7/10 - U Jarolimku – (Mon-Fri 10.30-11.30, Sat-Sun 12-11.30, Gamb 29, PU 39)
No nonsense pub, possibly dodgy service but largely well reviewed

7/10 - Pivovar Nad Kolcavkou (Mon-Sun 11-11, a dozen different beers)
Airy brewery tap worth a look, nothing special as a destination but plenty of options

7/10 - Pivnice Drevona (Mon-Sun 10-10, Krakonos 19)
The true pajzl, simple downstairs dive, with among the cheapest beers in Prague

7/10 - U Kralu (Mon-Sun 11-12, Breznak 22, special 32, Zlato )
An old fashioned local's pub, outdated décor, excellent prices

9/10 - Na Palme (Mon-Fri 3-11, Sat Sun 5-11, Unetice 35 + 5/6 rotation for 45+)
Best pub in the area, basement location, small breweries and a friendly atmosphere

2 breweries
Best value: Pivnice Drevona
Most hyped: Na Palme
Backup: Horkych Pivni Sanatorium, U Karla IV, U Jagusky
Sightseeing: Liben chateau, Liben Synagogue, Grab's villa, Memorial to Anthropoid, Hrabal monument.
Metro: Palmovka

Andel

7/10 - Plzensky Restaurace Andel (Mon-Sun, 11-12 45 tank PU)
PUOR, sprawling, smart, local institution with bowling alley (Denni menu 100-150kc)

8/10 - Hostinec U Vahy (MonSun – 10-10, Kozel 29, PU 42)
A truly traditional Hostinec down to every detail, usual Czech food served.

7/10 – Paluba (Tuesday + Wednesday 5-10, Sunday 3-9)
Board game club with beer, simple pub-style room with shelves full of board games.

7/10 - U Buldoka (Mon-Fri – 11-12, Sat 12-12 Sun 3-11, 47 PU + Kozel)
Atmospheric and locally-known pajzl for late night drinks and music.

8/10 - U Rytire (Mon-Sat 4-2, Sun 4-12, Hubertus 26, Holba 29, Krakonos 26)
Medieval themed hospudka in a cellar, a drinking hole and very well reviewed.

8/10 – Jamajka (Mon-Fri 3.30-1, Sat 4-1, Sun 4-12, Kacov 31, Postrizinske 33, Uneticke 39)
True local's pub, popular late night drinking hole. Good character.

Different venue: Paluba
Best value: U rytire
Most hyped: Jamajka
Backup venues: Hospudka Knoflik, 7/10 - U Bileho lva (11-11.30 Mon-Thu, 11-1 Fri, 11.30-12 Sat-Sun, Tank star 41) /Well-reviewed lunch place, smart dark wood, copper sheen, Smichovsky Radnicni Sklipek (Mon-Fri 10-11.30, Sat-Sun 11-11 – PU Characterful pub restaurant and one of the more reputed places in the district.
Sightseeing: Kinsky, MeetFactory, Staropramen Brewery
Transport: Metro Andel, Tram #5 from Wencelas Square, Tram #20 from Malostranske Namesti

Kampa (Ujezd)

7/10 - Pivnice Pod Petrinem (Mon-Sun – 11-12 Koz 33, PU 44)
Traditional Hostinec focused on locals. (Denni Menu 90-130kc)

6/10 - John Lennon Pub (Mon-Sun 12-1, Gamb 45, PU 55)
Standard towny, pleasant enough Pivnice with above average prices, touristic

7/10 – Ferdinanda (Mon-Sat 11-11, Sun 11-5, 32 for light/lager/dark/special 36)
A cellar pub for Ferdinand brewery, more atmospheric than the one in town.

8/10 - Klub Ujezd (Mon-Sun 2-4, Budvar 37)
Well reviewed cosy drinking hideout with a local crowd.

6/10- Pivnice Koza Nostra (Staropramen 25, Mon-Sat 4-12, Closed Sunday)
An ordinary Joe kinda pub which will be welcome for the area, pizza (Food 130-160kc)

Most hyped: Pivnice Pod Petrinem
Best value: Ferdinanda
Backup: Popocafepetl - Ujezd
Sightseeing: Kampa Island, art gallery, John Lennon wall, Mala Strana
Transport: Tram#20 from Malostranske Namesti, Tram #12 from Andel, Tram #9 from Wencelas square

Dejvica/Bubenec

7/10 - U Petnika (11-12 Unetice unfiltered, 44, PU 56, Tank star 37)
Homely hospoda with good food, well reviewed. (Denni menu 130-200kc)

7/10 - U Veverky (11-11 46kc, dark Koz 36)
Old fashioned joint, dark wood and a classic hospoda, PUOR joint but one of the good ones. (Denni menu 130-170kc)

8/10 - Na Slamniku (Mon-Sun 11-11, Tank star, Unetice, PU)
Grand characterful room, ok for beer or food, one of the oldest pubs in Czech Republic. (Denni menu – 125-145kc)

8/10 - Kralovstvi piva/Pivovar Bubenec (Mon-Sat – 4-11.30, Sun 6-11.30 local/regional/craft)
Beer focused traditional but smart mini-brewery.

9/10 - Krkonosska hospudka (Mon-Fri 3-10, Closed Sat + Sun, a tap beer for 24kc)
A true local's establishment, simple décor, friendly environment, regional beers.

8/10 - Dejvicka Nadrazka (Mon-Sun 9-12, Staro)
Smokey local's bar, the station bar with some grand décor and atmosphere.

Different venue: Dejvicka Nadrazka
Most hyped: Na Slamniku
Best value: Krkonosska hospudka
Sightseeing: Stromovka Park, Dejvice farmer's market
Backup: Tchaiovna (secret-roomed sprawling café with beer), Devicka Sokolovna (nice G branded pub with a taproom)
Transport: Metro Hradcanska, Tram #2 from National theatre

Letna /Bubny

7/10 - Letna beer garden (Mon-Sun 11-11)

7/10 - U Houbare (Mon-Sun 11-12, PU 42, dark Koz 35, Gamb 29)
Traditional hostinec with retro rustic decor known for on-point PU and original character. (Denni menu – 99-120kc)

9/10 - Hostinec Klasterni Pivnice (Mon-Sun 9.30-9.30 Klaster + Chotebor 24)
A 'Four', ie. cheap beer, down to earth but characteful too, also known as 'Sumavan

7/10 - Kovadlina U Lazni (Mon-Fri 11-10, Sat-Sun 3-10 Breznak 11 for 35, 10 for 29 Matuska for 33)
Traditional hospoda with modern beer options.

7/10 - Pivni Klub 300 (Mon-Fri – 5-10, Closed Sat/Sun, Unetice 10, 29)
Small 'Pivoteka' with 4 taps + Czech regionals, decent prices

8/10 – Fraktal (Mon-Sun 11-12, PU 42, Gamb 38, Kozel light and dark 35)
Decent looking all-round pub despite the modernist name. (Denni menu: 115-135kc)

7/10 – Kyklop (Mon-Sat 5-1, Sun 5-12, ,Klaster beer)
Young local's hangout, off-beat, some live music,

8/10 – Base Camp (Mon-Sun 2-10.30 beer shop where you can drink in the backroom or take away)

1 beer garden
Best value: Hostinec Klasterni Pivnice
Most hyped: U Houbare
Backup – U Pivoje – quality PUOR pub with age and character, Barre – punk cellar bar with dirt cheap Bernard range
Sightseeing: Metronome, Sparta Prague FC, Stromovka park
Transport:: Strossmayerovo Namesti stop – Tram#6 from Wencelas Square, Tram#17 from Trojska

Holesovice

7/10 - Pivovar Marina (Mon-Sun 11-12 own beers 10, 12,  dark 13 and wheat)
Riverside microbrewery, good views, some iffy reviews about beer keeping and service.

8/10 – Vnitroblock – (Mon-Sat 9-8, Sun 9-8)
Modern multipurpose venue, airy, industrial.

7/10 - U Vody (Mon-Fri 11-10 Sat-Sun 2-10, Star 27, Unetice 29)
Trad throwback hospoda, dainty furnishings,

7/10 - U Pristavu (Mon-Fri 8-10, Sat-Sun 10-10  PU 36, unfiltered Gamb10, 26)
Locals joint, food during day, beers at night, no nonsense lived-in interior. (Denni menu – 90-100)

9/10 - Cross Club Café (Mon-Sun 2-2)
Sprawling multipurpose venue with steampunk décor and great atmosphere.

8/10 – Centrala (Mon-Thu 4-2, Fri-Sat 4-4, Sun 4-12, Klaster 27, Platan 30, Velen 29)
Modern, friendly looking café bar with some pub character, downstairs funky, gritty dive club

1 beer garden
1 brewery
Interesting venue: Vnitroblock/ Pivni Galerie
Best value: Centrala
Most hyped: Pivni Galerie
Backup: V Domove (hospoda with dirt cheap Kozel and Gambrinus), V Haji (dirt cheap locals place), Pivni Galerie (museum, shop and bar – possibly now closed)
Sightseeing: Vystaviste, Lapidarium, Planetarium, River
Transport: Metro Nadrazi Holesovice, Metro Vltavska, Tram#6 from Wencelas Square

Konevova

7/10 - U Ceske Chalupy (Mon-Sun 11-11, Kozel 10 25, Kozel 11 27, PU 35)
Cheap drinks, simple décor, but more of a food-oriented spot. (Food: 130-180kc)

7/10 – Zalezitost (Mon-Thu 11-12 Fri-Sat 11-1, Sun 12-12, PU 52, Unfiltered Bernard, 39, Chotebor Polo 42, Kacov 38, Bernard Polo 42, Primator Weizen 42)
Exposed brickwork, but characterful enough restaurant pub with a good range. (Food 150-300kc)

7/10 - Pivnice Radyne (Mon-Sun 11-10, 23kc Branik 10, Branik 11 25)
Basic wooden pivnice, slightly sparse design.

8/10 - Pivni Rozmanitost (Mon-Thu – 3-10, Fri 1-11, Sat 3-11, Closed Sunday. Focus on craft then regionals, priced accordingly)
Beer shop and pivoteka, small seating and standing arrangements, not so much focus on comfort or atmosphere.

7/10 - Vozovna Zizkoff (Mon-Fri 2-12, Sat-Sun 5-12, Unetice 10 33, Unetice 12 unfiltered, 42)
Characterful evening spot, small and relatively cosy, quiet place.

7/10 – Republika Zizkov (Mon-Fri & Sun 4-10 – Closed Saturday. Pivovar Kocour beers, 33 for standard)
A homely kitchenette feel to the place and well reviewed. (Food – Pizza – 130-180kc)

Best value: Pivnice Radyne
Most hyped: Pivni Rozmanitost
Backup: Za Vetrem – corner Staro pub for 22kc
Transport: Ohrada tram sport – Tram #1 from Vltavska, Tram 9 from Wencelas Square, Tram 11 from Museum

Josefov

7/10 – T-Anker Terrace Bar (Mon-Sun 11-10)
Terrace bar with a good range of drinks and a matchless view, expensive and slightly towny though.

7/10 - Pivolod Brewery restaurant  (Mon-Sun 11-11, own brews 10, 12 and 13 tmavy)
Brewery on a boat by the shoreline.

7/10 - Pivnice U Pivnrce – (Mon-Sun – 11-12 Unfiltered Staro 48, can get 1l for 90, possible rotation)
Simple pivnice geared as equally to drinking as to food (Food 200kc)

7/10- Tynska Literary Café – (Mon-Fri 10-11, Sat-Sun 12-11)
Simple book-lined café with Bernard pivo, slight brown café feel.

8/10 – U Svobodnych Zednaru – (Mon-Sun 12-12, Dark and Light Krusovice for 41)
Characterful gnarly old wooden pub restaurant (Denni menu 110kc)

8/10  – Hostomicka Nalevarna (formerly Vycep Soukenicka) (Mon-Sun, 2-11, own brews)
Effective brewery tap inhabiting an in-the-know ancient pub, reputedly among the best Prague brewed lager.

Backup: Freemasons Club/Pub (drinking oriented, well-scored and safe-ish), Tlusta Koala, U Supa (brewery)
Most hyped: T-Anker
Sightseeing: Jewish cemetaries, synagogues, river walk, Speculum Alchemiae
Transport: Metro Staromestska, Tram 17# stop Pravnicka fakulta

Other special places:

9/10 - Prvni Pivni Tramway – Na Chodovci 1a – 2pm-12 Mon-Fri 5-12 Sat-Sun, rotating taps.
On Sporilov tram terminus. Pick up tram 11 at Museum all the way to the end. Legendary pub, one of the first multi-tap places in the city.

8/10 - Poctivej Vycep – Kobylisy – Treboradicka 19 – Mon- Fri 7-11, Closed Sat Sun. Regionals and rotating beers at correspond, characterful if new-ish venue with family service. Kobylisy metro station

Bar Chyse – Cimice – Mlazicka – Mon-Sun 4.30-12 – Bus ride from Trojka – cosy country pub with local life and authentic atmosphere. Uniformly well reviewed. Bus 145 from Kobylisy 5 mins either way.

Rukodelny Pivovarek Trebonice – Mon-Sun 5-10 – Easy walk from Zlicin metro. Lively local inn with vaulted beams and a young crowd. Own brews.

Pivovar Sedivak – Katovicka 410 – Mon-Sun 11-11 – Local minibrewery and good prices, walkable from Trojka, otherwise Tram #17 to Vozovna Kobylisy

Nad Sarkou a Libocky pivovar – Evropska 134/209 – On bus to airport, simple light wood tavern with own beers, good range of wheat and classic c. europe stuff.

Minipivovar Beznoska – Klicovska 11 – Well reviewed minipivovar, near Prosek red line metro

Pivnice na konecne – Mon-Sun 10-10 - Sidliste Dablice terminus of Tram #10 – change from Palmovka metro station – Microbrewery + classic pub surroundings, very cheap.

Na Stare Hospode – Mon-Sun 10-10 – Hloubetin metro, classic very well reviewed hospoda with everything would would expect at better prices than the old town

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Museums wise-

Heroes of Heydrich - a small, but free, tasteful, poignant and touching tribute to the British and Czech efforts to assassinate Reynhard Heydrich (aka Operation Anthropoid), set in their hideout under a church

Museum of Communism - dull, dusty, overly expensive, would not recommend

If you are into Zoos, Prague Zoo is state of the art, very good conservation program and v impressive, even as someone not that arsed about zoos. Fraction of the price you would pay elsewhere.

Towers? Yep, there are plenty to go at. Zizkov TV tower is expensive but fun, the Charles Bridge towers are both worth doing, as is the powder tower. Petrin Tower is perhaps the best for the view and the wobbly creaky fun element.

Sex Machines Museum - dunno mate but they have got one

Alfons Mucha Museum - if like me you enjoy Art Nouveau this is a must-visit art gallery

Jewish Quarter - yes, it's a tad expensive but very interesting and worth doing

Prague Castle - there's plenty to do and see. The cathedral is of course worth visiting, likewise Golden Lane (albeit that's expensive for what it is. You can see the changing of the guard at midday.

KGB Museum - not been but it's a private collection run by a passionate eccentric and from a non-Western perspective. Could be good.

Strahov Library - a beautiful library, you can have a (brief) look at it for a few quid.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Iron Curtain Prague

- Visit/poke around in Strahov stadium, an enormous 200,000 seater arena used for Soviet gymnastics shows. The field is used as a football training ground but you can still walk in and around the enormous complex and sit in the crumbling stands.
- Eat in a Jidelna - a simple soup kitchen akin to Milk Bars in Poland. Order at the counter, pay very little. Jidelna Tesnov is near the centre and more faithful than Havelska Koruna in the centre which has got pricey and touristy vs the quality of food
- Drink at U Rotundy, probably the last city centre pub that retains an untouristy working class feel and sells beer for less than a quid. Or if you want to go really into the rabbit hole get the tram to U Prasivka, a pub which opens at 9am and closes at 9pm, Soviet hours and a "Fourth Grade" pub which was and still is visited by bin men finishing the early morning shift.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Food

Most Czech pubs will have the same dishes that fall under Tradicni Cesky Kuchyne

- Pork Knuckle
- Vepro-Knedlo-Zelo - roast pork, dumplings and cabbage
- Roast quarter/half duck with red cabbage and dumplings
- Beef Goulash (quality varies hugely, though)
- Svickova -beef in gravy with squirty cream and cranberries
- Klobasa - usually a chunky grilled red sausage served simply with rye bread and mustard
- Smazeny syr - fried cheese. If you are unsure about this one I recommend trying it. Surprisingly delicious. Salty and unhealthy, but bready, savoury and delicious alongside a beer.
- Schnitzel of course

All pubs also have beer snacks which are usually pickled gerkins/cold pickled sausages etc which turn my stomach a bit. Pivní syr is the most disgusting looking food item but it does allow you to prepare food with the actual beer you're drinking

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Beer

Mostly bottom fermented lager, but craft beer and regional beer is making an appearance. There are dozens of breweries in and around Prague too

The beer is displaying by the balling ° not the abv% so you will see 10/11/12° a lot. Generally the higher the number the stronger the beer.

Usual brands:

Pilsner Urquell, of course. Ubiquitous and usually delicious.
Gambrinus - the local's drink, as it's cheaper. Still superior to all English lager and most standard German lager in my view.
Staropramen - getting worse by the year, not well thought of
Kozel dark - a beautiful lager equivalent of dark mild. If you get a good one it is super stuff
Budvar - harder to find in Prague tbh
Unetice - this is what the 20s and 30 something crowd are drinking in Prague these days

Ones to avoid?
Hmm.. Branik and Breznak are cheap but not much cop. Krusovice is crap. Klaster a bit harsh for me. Litovel and Lobkowicz are dull and a bit soulless

Other Styles to watch out for as well as light and dark lagers:

Polotmavy (semi dark) - these beers can be a joy.
Rezane (half and half/cut) - light beer and dark beer mixed by the tapster
Nefiltrovany - unfiltered beer, usually a much fuller, and slightly hoppier flavour. Among my favourite
Kvasnicovy - Beer pitched with yeast, usually amazing

king_tubby

It's all bottom fermented lager by the time I'm finished with it.

And pitched with yeast.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: MidnightShambler on January 11, 2019, 05:33:12 PM
If Reykjavik is anything like Oslo (which I imagine it is) then you'll be bored stiff if you're there for a week. And you'll also spend most of your trip saying 'fucking hell, I can't afford that'. I'm like you in that I love cities and their suburbs, just experiencing the general pace of life, but the cost of everything in Scandinavia makes that really hard to do on a budget. It's £10 for a beer. And a similar price for a can from a supermarket so you can't even do it on the cheap that way.

Not that I'm putting you off by the way, the people, the air, the scenery, the whole thing is fantastic. Just expensive, I don't think I mentioned that enough.

Yes this is pretty much bang on. The art museums were very good, the Blue Lagoon is in my top 5 travel experiences ever and the food is...interesting. The Penis Museum doesn't take long to get around but is worth it for the whale's cock and the human bollocks. 
The Lebowski Bar is great if you like a White Russian but fuck me it's pricey. There was also a Chuck Norris restaurant just down the road from this, I think, but wasn't open when I went there. The church is pretty impressive, too (Halmsfrijjka ??? I'm not googling).
Hopefully you are a fan on horizontal rain as I imagine you will be seeing a lot of that.

greenman

Quote from: king_tubby on January 11, 2019, 11:56:10 AM
We went for new year 2016. It was great, if dark. Two weeks is a huge amount of time though, it's very small. EDIT - where the hell did I get two weeks from? I am a fool.

Get yourself on to the Golden Circle coach tour. Geysers, waterfalls, Game of Thrones, tomato farms - the lot.

You're going to have a hard time with the veganing unless you're self catering. My partner is vegetarian and she struggled. Even the most highly recommended vegan restaurant did chicken.

Also you can't buy booze at a normal supermarket, you have to go to a special shop.

If you can get to the Blue Lagoon do so, it was lovely.

As said its actually possible to visit a lot of the better known natural sites on day tours from Reykjavik, if anything I think more interesting in the winter as waterfalls are semi frozen and Geyers turn into great clouds of steam.

Can't remember the name but I visited a geothermnal power station quite close by as well which was interesting to look around. The Blue Lagoon itself is actually the outflow from one, sea water that's been pumped down into the ground and heated up before covering the lava rocks in minerals so your paying to bath in industrial effluent, harmless Im sure although I admit my main memory of visiting it was accidently swallowing a little and needing to pee constantly to the degree I needed to get off  on the way back as soon as we reached Reykjavik or risk creating my own golden circle on the coach seat.

Its a bit further out(about 80 miles) but I would recommend Skoga as well, Skogafoss is the picture perfect waterfall from the Scottish Widows advert, in the winter has some giant icicles forming and collapsing next to it, the museum is also pretty good with several old turf covered houses and a old guy who'll try and get you to sing along to his organ playing in the church. A little beyond that is Vik that's got some black sand beaches(where the start of Rogue One was filmed) and seastacks on it, guess that would be the limit of day tours.

Besides the Blue Lagoon as well there are conventional swimming pools pretty much everywhere, I would say for winter they might actually be more pleasant for sitting in an outdoor hot pool as well as the Blue Lagoon isn't THAT warn, there vastly cheaper as well.

Blue Jam

Go to Nauthólsvík Geothermal Beach, near Reykjavik domestic airport- it's nice and quiet (and it's free).

Quote from: MidnightShambler on January 11, 2019, 05:33:12 PM
If Reykjavik is anything like Oslo (which I imagine it is) then you'll be bored stiff if you're there for a week.

Thankfully, Reykjavik is nothing like Oslo...

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 11, 2019, 12:24:13 PM
Also, to echo yer man Shoulders, good luck on the shoestring budget front, I assume you won't be getting pissed up in Rekyavik, then.

If you go to the Vinbudin (state-run booze shops) you can get pissed at UK supermarket prices. Do as the locals do and get some of your drinking done at "home" before you go out, but note that the Vinbudin shops won't be open all night, and don't open at all on Sundays.