Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Would You Fire Someone For A Racist Freudian Slip?

Started by Satchmo Distel, January 11, 2019, 11:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Listen to the clip (warning: contains offensive racist word):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tChwMwSlqNI

Then read the story:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/11/weatherman-racial-slur-whec-rochester-jeremy-kappell

I think Kappell's biggest mistake here is that he's lying when he says it was a "mispronunciation"; it's a Freudian slip from his racist subconscious rather than a deliberate slur or a "mispronunciation". As such, I wouldn't fire him but I'd have a clause protecting people in cases of genuine slips provided they apologize.

phantom_power

I don't know anything about the man in question but it did sound like a slip of the tongue, mixing together the vowel sounds of "king" and "junior". A bit like "Kunt cetnryside"

Sebastian Cobb

It's unfortunate it's a racist bad word I guess. I don't know if it means he's racist, isn't things like tourettes an inability to suppress intrusive bad thoughts that people have rather than having them full stop, in other words there's a corner of the brain that seemimgly wants to do or say the most horrific things possible.

If he was a politician he could fully racially abuse a person of colour to their face and claim they were 'tired'.

the

Misspoke. Hasn't been fired. Why are you even involving me in this

phantom_power

Quote from: the on January 11, 2019, 11:58:59 AM
Misspoke. Hasn't been fired. Why are you even involving me in this

He has been fired, hasn't he?

pancreas

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on January 11, 2019, 11:43:19 AM
I don't know anything about the man in question but it did sound like a slip of the tongue, mixing together the vowel sounds of "king" and "junior". A bit like "Kunt cetnryside"

PUT THE CUNT BACK IN COUNTRY

Replies From View

I always think of this scene when I hear that word:  https://youtu.be/-HNAooUYZEQ

Unfortunately that is a fucked up youtube version of it.

Utter Shit

Based purely on that clip, there's no reason to believe it was anything other than a mispronunciation where he's got caught between King/Junior. Honestly I am a bit baffled that loads of high-profile people have come out calling for his sacking (or saying he shouldn't be sacked but rehabilitated), unless he has some history of racism that we're unaware of it seems insane to me that he wouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

madhair60

My dad said someone was "the n**ger in the woodpile" a few years ago. Disciplinary. Nice Going Dad

the

Quote from: phantom_power on January 11, 2019, 12:10:54 PMHe has been fired, hasn't he?

Not in the article, if he has been since that was written then he had a pitifully weak employer.

JesusAndYourBush

jobotic

Quote from: madhair60 on January 11, 2019, 12:27:18 PM
My dad said someone was "the n**ger in the woodpile" a few years ago. Disciplinary. Nice Going Dad

It's one rule for madhair60's dad and another for loathsome Tory MPs. Unless your dad is a loathsome Tory MP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Marie_Morris

phantom_power

Quote from: the on January 11, 2019, 12:31:09 PM
Not in the article, if he has been since that was written then he had a pitifully weak employer.

Paragraph 2:

The incident went unaddressed on air, but gathered steam over the weekend online. By Sunday night, Rochester's mayor, Lovely Warren, called for Kappell's dismissal. By Monday, WHEC had fired Kappell, who has maintained that the word was an innocent mispronunciation.

In your face

Quote from: Replies From View on January 11, 2019, 12:16:23 PM
I always think of this scene when I hear that word:  https://youtu.be/-HNAooUYZEQ

Unfortunately that is a fucked up youtube version of it.

A better version here - https://youtu.be/t2-k7FZcpiI

Cloud

Nah, a mistake is a mistake even if it's a racist one.  Give people the chance to clarify, learn from mistakes etc

Unless he doubles down and starts appearing on Rubin Report bemoaning white genocide or whatever.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That's a great name the Mayor of Rochester's got. I wish I had a similar name, Pretty Waspsnest, or something like that. That'd be grand.

Funcrusher

Doesn't coon just mean an Uncle Tom these days in the US ?

Cuellar

QuoteRochester's mayor, Lovely Warren

...or you can of course be Ronnie Hotdogs

ASFTSN

This isn't even a Freudian slip. It's just the sort of fat-tongued mangling of the English language I do all the time.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Didn't even say 'n**ger', did he? Honestly, what a palaver.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 11, 2019, 12:17:39 PM
Based purely on that clip, there's no reason to believe it was anything other than a mispronunciation where he's got caught between King/Junior. Honestly I am a bit baffled that loads of high-profile people have come out calling for his sacking (or saying he shouldn't be sacked but rehabilitated), unless he has some history of racism that we're unaware of it seems insane to me that he wouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

People who do this tend to haul people over the coals from the vantage point of somebody who doesn't ever have intrusive thoughts, because it's impossible to prove otherwise.

Twed

Huh. I don't know many Americans who are aware of the racist version of "coon".

Dex Sawash

That's the old english pronunciation of King what the cleverest racists called Dr King back in the day.

Quote from: Twed on January 11, 2019, 01:34:06 PM
Huh. I don't know many Americans who are aware of the racist version of "coon".

Yeh, it's just short for raccoon isn't it? How do South Park get away with it?

Kelvin

South Park is playing on that, though, so surely Americans must know the racist meaning.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on January 11, 2019, 01:45:30 PM
Yeh, it's just short for raccoon isn't it?

That's where I thought the Larry David clip was going, with the mention of "they're all over the park", but then a woman with a wazzo pair of jugs ran past and the clip cut off and I never got to find out what happened next.

Quote from: madhair60 on January 11, 2019, 12:27:18 PM

The worst thing was he said that to a black man he was giving a disciplinary to at a wood factory.

mothman

[tag]Guy Gibson hastily leaves thread to run his dog over[/tag]