Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is BBC Radio1 like these days?

Started by Brundle-Fly, January 11, 2019, 11:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

I stopped regularly listening at the end of 1991 because I quit a job where the workplace had it on all day.  Black & White by Michael Jackson was played every fifteen minutes if I recall.  Occasionally, over the ensuing years, bits of the station's shows would drift into my ears, usually in the back of cabs: a bumptious Chris Evans persuading us to honk our horns and playing the new Sleeper single or a bumptious Chris Moyles telling us how the women from Friends are all a bunch of 'mooses' now and playing the new Coldplay single.

Anyway, for quite some time, it all seems to have become so achingly cool.  The likes of DLT, Mike Read and Annie Nightingale etc and their old playlists seem like they're from the Bronze Age by today's standards. Is it all earnest singer-songwriters, urban swagger and auto-tune contemporary pop now? I see The Vaccines are on their playlist this week. Do they play them alongside Drake, Ariana Grande, Kayne etc? Is there a guitar based or rock show? Do they have any lighthearted quizzes or parlour games for the listeners?  Is there any sense of dare I say, fun other than saying 'Bangin' choon, mate'.  Do they still say that?

I would do my own research by listening in next week but I've only just got over feeling poorly this Xmas and not prepared to take the risk.

Brundle-Fly

Actually, just realised this subject is more or less being discussed in the current Talk about...pop music thread.

Doh! As you were.

the

Thwe last 2 minutes of it, compressed to 10 seconds, sound like this:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0w1ZeSfuupn

(The first bit was talking about celebrities on Twitter, the second bit a pop song.) You're welcome

Captain Z

Quote from: the on January 11, 2019, 12:23:52 PM
(The first bit was talking about celebrities on Twitter, the second bit a pop song.) You're welcome

Can't tell where the first part stops and the second part starts. And maybe that's the point...