Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:28:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Festivals 2019

Started by Captain Crunch, January 11, 2019, 03:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

YAY January!  Time to get excited about the festival announcements and really look forward to – oh

I'm already booked for this one:

Not overly excited about the line-up at the moment but there's more to come.  Cardiff has something similar but they've gone a bit more diverse with their choices:

https://www.themooncardiff.com/psych/

I'd just like a 'we heard Passover and decided to start a band' festival. 

I got sick of the faff around Desertfest so skipped it last year but could be swayed for 2019:

Any booked?  Anything tickling you at the moment? 

non capisco

Quote from: Captain Crunch on January 11, 2019, 03:58:36 PM
YAY January!  Time to get excited about the festival announcements and really look forward to – oh

Nomative determinism in action!

Blinder Data

I'm going to Womad for the first time. Can anyone confirm it's going to be wall-to-wall 55 year old accountants shuffling awkwardly to Afrobeat?

hummingofevil

I'm going Supersonic and Primavera. Can't wait for both and just hope the wanker-Brits-abroad-to-seeing-awesome-stuff ratio isn't too high to spoil the latter. Carly Rae Jepsen, Robyn, Stereolab, Shellac and Avalon Emerson within 3 days has to be hard to completely ruin.

Sin Agog

I could get into Glastonbury free, but I get so burnt out at that thing that I can't construct a full sentence after the first day (and I have to turn up almost a week early).  Maybe West Holts will draw me back in.  Got to let the dude who gets me the tics know soon.

I know that sounds like the most wankery first-world problem ever, but the last couple of times I went I ended up spending hours just staring in the vague direction of the Tor wishing I was there instead.

CaledonianGonzo

Primavera's got the line up to beat this summer. It's chocka.

Off to Glastonbury as usual.  Line-up's already shaping up to be better than 2017.

alan nagsworth

Ain't no fucking way I am missing this.

Pauline Walnuts

You're feeling Supersonic?

hummingofevil

Not forgetting that as well as having great music Supersonic is an absolutely lovely experience with a lovely crowd (well it was the time I went).

hummingofevil

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 12, 2019, 09:28:02 AM
Primavera's got the line up to beat this summer. It's chocka.

Off to Glastonbury as usual.  Line-up's already shaping up to be better than 2017.

Any recommendations of stuff under the radar?

BlodwynPig

CaledonianGonzo

Bevis Frond!

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 12, 2019, 01:37:55 PM
Any recommendations of stuff under the radar?

Most of the top end of the line-up is out of the top drawer, but I'd definitely be checking out Rosalia, Sons of Kemet XL, Kali Uchis and CupCakke (if shes well enough to play)

hummingofevil

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 12, 2019, 04:05:45 PM
Bevis Frond!

Most of the top end of the line-up is out of the top drawer, but I'd definitely be checking out Rosalia, Sons of Kemet XL, Kali Uchis and CupCakke (if shes well enough to play)

Cheers. I've got a new speaker so just shouting things at it to play. Listened to more new music in a week than have in years.

CaledonianGonzo

Rosalia in particular is something special.  Obviously the likes of Robyn and Carly Rae Jepsen should also be dope.

hummingofevil

Just got round to listening to CupcakKe. No idea why but was expecting some Scandinavian synth pop like a Todd Terje vibe. Then listensmed to Deepthroat and Squidward's Nose. Haha. She's brilliant.

Read about her illness too. Hope she is recovering. Potential at Primavera for quite a few collaborations too. Be interesting.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: Captain Crunch on January 11, 2019, 03:58:36 PM

I got sick of the faff around Desertfest so skipped it last year but could be swayed for 2019:

Just had an update -

thugler

Supersonic (maybe nicest fest I've ever been to, and I've just moved to birmingham too)
Glastonbury, lineup will hopefully be exciting again, my 6th or 7th, and it's amazing when the weather is not shit.

Maybe 1 more abroad if there's funds..

hamfist

Bluedot for me, hate me but I'm taking the kids - it is apparently child friendly though. I want to see if they like festivals...

hummingofevil

Kraftwerk in front of the Lovell will be one of the truely great gigs. Well jel!!!

Pranet

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 11, 2019, 04:34:17 PM
I'm going to Womad for the first time. Can anyone confirm it's going to be wall-to-wall 55 year old accountants shuffling awkwardly to Afrobeat?

I went a few times as it isn't far from me. This was about 10 years ago, so it may have changed, but yes there were lots of the sort of people you describe. There were also young parents going to their first festival with children (if your baby needs massive ear defenders to go somewhere perhaps that isn't a place that it should be going). And a fair number of teenagers going fucking apeshit. Parents think it is a nice safe festival and let their kids go. Their kids take all the drugs and spend the night screaming just outside your tent.

Charlton Park is nice enough and Malmesbury is an interesting historic little town if you like that sort of thing. It is within walking distance so you can stock up on food and booze easily.

When I went it was all of world's music only with ska. Every fucking band was a fucking ska band.

holyzombiejesus

I loved the first few Green Mans I went to but it just got so busy and the thought of being fenced in to a compound with several thousand people makes me shudder. Having said that, if I didn't have a toddler, I'd be very tempted to go to this.

Crabwalk

Think I'll go to End of the Road again this year. The headliners are uninspiring, but there's loads of great stuff on the undercard more to come.

Any bill that has Jessica Pratt next to Ata Kak on the poster is basically aimed straight at me.

imitationleather

Quote from: hamfist on January 31, 2019, 05:42:01 PM
Bluedot for me, hate me but I'm taking the kids - it is apparently child friendly though. I want to see if they like festivals...

I am very tempted by Bluedot, the line-up is pukka. But I am concerned the crowd might be a bit, y'know, middle class.

Eh, I guess I am in my thirties now. I shouldn't judge. But I will!

hamfist

Quote from: imitationleather on February 03, 2019, 04:52:39 PM
I am very tempted by Bluedot, the line-up is pukka. But I am concerned the crowd might be a bit, y'know, middle class.

Eh, I guess I am in my thirties now. I shouldn't judge. But I will!

I'll be there so yeah it's gonna be picnic hampers and candelabras in the back of the range rover.

Nah, it'll be wine in a camelbak, feral kids and a flappy tent in the back of a vw.

Blinder Data

Strong chance I'll attend Doune the Rabbit Hole this year. Not only has it got a line-up featuring bands I've actually heard of/like, they've only got John bloody Grant performing! Missed him on his most recent tour so hoping for a proper full-band show.

Weekend before Womad though. Anyone done back-to-back festivals before and is it as bad an idea as it sounds?

Norton Canes

Festival season, great. Or as I like to call it, 'Looking down lists of bands tour dates and finding out the only places they're playing in the UK are fucking festivals' season.

Head Gardener

alan nagsworth

Supersonic lineup keeps getting better. Extremely excited for that now.

Gonna be doing Astral in Bristol as well, as GNOD, King Khan, Bo Ningen and Part Chimp on the same bill looks like too much fun to pass up on.

Icehaven

After seeing so many mentions of Supersonic in this thread I thought I'd Google it to find out a bit more as I've never heard of it and had no idea where it even is, despite being a music fan and playing in various types of bands over the years mostly around my local area, which is...well, guess where. No idea how that's passed me by for the last 16 years despite being on my doorstep but there you go.

boki

Bang Face Weekender next week!  Can't wait to spend at least half of it in my chalet, bemoaning the state of my knackered old knees!