Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:06:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "Pulp were bollocks, weren't they" thread

Started by Jockice, January 11, 2019, 04:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Go on, do your worst. Personally I think Denim were better.

How very dare you.  I Spy is one of my favourite things ever.

daf

Ooh, ooh - I'll go :

Something beginning with . . . P

daf

Ooh, so close!

The answer was . . . pencil

(pillarbox red 'Consortium' HB with a terracotta rubber nubbin housed in a brass clasper atop the apex!)

pigamus

No, but I can't imagine ever feeling the need to hear Different Class again.

Small Man Big Horse

I used to love Pulp to pieces but find myself rarely revisiting them these days, if I do it tends to be b-sides, His N Hers and This Is Hardcore. Oh, and Underwear from Different Class. That gets me right randy.

Funcrusher

I have to report that I have never enjoyed the music of Pulp.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 11, 2019, 05:04:12 PM
I used to love Pulp to pieces but find myself rarely revisiting them these days
Same here. They were my first favourite band, but they got superceded by Mansun at some point.
Quote from: pigamus on January 11, 2019, 05:00:13 PM
No, but I can't imagine ever feeling the need to hear Different Class again.
I'd understand, if you'd have said This is Hardcore instead. Different Class, though?!

purlieu

Different Class I never really got into. Yeah, the singles are very much classics, and I like the last two tracks a lot, but overall it's overlong and horribly produced. It's a long time since I actually listened to the last three Pulp albums, though: they feel a little too 'perfect' to me, to the extent that I find them a bit dull. There are exceptions ('This is Hardcore', 'Wickerman'), but overall there's a polish and smoothness to both the songwriting and production that makes them sound strangely dull to me. The earlier stuff, although nowhere near as accomplished, holds my interest more. It is a charmingly naive indie-pop record with a few really lovely songs on it (although the earlier Peel Session version of 'Wishful Thinking' makes the album version seem somewhat inadequate); Freaks is terrible, but Masters of the Universe (helpfully collected as a second disc on recent issues of Freaks) is a wonderfully odd collection, with some really great songs ('Little Girl With Blue Eyes', 'Dogs Are Everywhere', 'The Mark of the Devil', even the bonkers The Fall-go-krautrock of 'Tunnel'), the mixture of folk and acid house sides on Separations is excellent, and His 'n' Hers is everything I actually want Pulp to be. I need to get a copy of the 2CD version of that as they're a band I've never really explored the b-sides of before...

the science eel

Babies, Razzmatazz, Lipgloss - the best pop music of its time. Love them.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 11, 2019, 05:09:57 PM
I'd understand, if you'd have said This is Hardcore instead. Different Class, though?!

To be honest, I barely ever go back to Different Class myself. The singles are worn out (with possible exception of Something Changed), but I have a lot of time for I Spy.

Quote from: purlieu on January 11, 2019, 05:12:35 PM
His 'n' Hers is everything I actually want Pulp to be.

Yeah - my favourite album by far.  Even the singles like Lipgloss and Babies just don't get old.

purlieu

Ooh yeah, some of their best are still only available on Intro, aren't they? Razzmatazz deserves wider circulation than that.

I'm sure I've said it before, but it's strange that This Is Hardcore is considered the difficult, dark album, when Different Class had songs, like I Spy and Feeling Called Love, that are just as sleazy as anything on the follow up record.

purlieu

Remove the title track, 'Seductive Barry' and possibly 'The Fear' and This is Hardcore is a pretty straightforward Pulp album.

jobotic

When I first heard Babies I got very excited. Me and my girlfriend played it a lot so after that all went wrong I didn't really play it again. At the time though I rushed out to buy His n Hers and played it to death. I really soon lost interest though, don't know why, just other things to listen to I suppose, and didn't like Common People so didn't bother with Different Class. Can't say I ever listen to them now.

Babies is great though. She did have babies you know, but not with me.

Pauline Walnuts

Back in the day I remember seeing an billboard advert for this is Hardcore, and some local Millie Tant had sprayed 'This image degrades women'

And I thought, yeah, it does doesn't it?

purlieu

Howj Begg

Quote from: jobotic on January 11, 2019, 05:21:08 PM
When I first heard Babies I got very excited. Me and my girlfriend played it a lot so after that all went wrong I didn't really play it again. At the time though I rushed out to buy His n Hers and played it to death. I really soon lost interest though, don't know why, just other things to listen to I suppose, and didn't like Common People so didn't bother with Different Class. Can't say I ever listen to them now.

Babies is great though. She did have babies you know, but not with me.

My experience too, though for me "Do you remember the first time" was the catalyst, as I think it was for many people. They felt like my secret interest at His n Hers, but Different class elevated them into a, er, different class of public fame and notoriety, and they ceased to be mine, and I've never been that into them since, but all the singles are worth hearing, and I liked the eco stuff like "Trees" off the last album.

As the only Pulp fan at school (as far as I knew) they still felt like an outsider thing to me, even though Cocker was a regular fixture on telly around that time.

Head Gardener

DrGreggles

Quote from: Howj Begg on January 11, 2019, 06:04:07 PM
My experience too, though for me "Do you remember the first time" was the catalyst, as I think it was for many people.

Had my iPod on shuffle earlier and DYRTFT came on.
Genuinely haven't heard it in years and it still sounds amazing.

sweeper

If you don't like Pulp you're basically John Major.

Pauline Walnuts

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Early Pulp is fucking excellent, I love going back listening to stuff like " My Lighthouse ", top stuff that is. Fucking " Dogs are Everywhere " is a fucking excellent song, stone cold classic, so it is.

Jockice

Jarvis has just been on Channel 4 News at a conference calling for a second Brexit referendum. Sad to say it came across as a bit embarrassing. Like he was trying to be funny but not succeeding.

Pulp were bollocks anyway.

jobotic

I never listenwd to erier stuff than Babies either. Perhaps I should. I bought the 12"with Sheffield Sex City on it, that was good too.

Some top boy shouted "Oi Jarvis!" at me back then too. As if I was that stylish. Didn't even have glasses.

That tabloid headline reminds me, I attended a Pulp themed club night in Glasgow a couple of years ago where everyone got a goodie bag featuring one of these:

Only contained sherbet, sadly.

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 11, 2019, 06:14:10 PM
Relaxed Muscle were better

Unfairly neglected anyway. That album's full of belters, not least "Sexualised".

purlieu

Quote from: Jockice on January 11, 2019, 07:18:25 PM
Jarvis has just been on Channel 4 News at a conference calling for a second Brexit referendum. Sad to say it came across as a bit embarrassing. Like he was trying to be funny but not succeeding.
I find him embarrassing a lot of the time. Watching footage of him in the '90s, he seemed pretty witty, but since he's become a bit of an arty National Treasure I just find he seems a bit out of his depth and, frankly, boring.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the science eel on January 11, 2019, 05:14:40 PM
Babies, Razzmatazz, Lipgloss - the best pop music of its time. Love them.

Absolutely! I'm going to add My Legendary Girlfriend.   Pulp got me through some lean times in '92/ '93.. Delivering free newspapers in the pissing rain around Camden Town with Separations on my dodgy Discman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuoeenK4RVM

Was browsing through my old stub collection only this week. This was my second Pulp gig. Me and a mate said hello to Jarvis striding through Soho Square in the mid-afternoon before the event and he was in a right panic because Elastica had just pulled out the support slot.
Ration books, powdered egg etc