Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:28:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "Pulp were bollocks, weren't they" thread

Started by Jockice, January 11, 2019, 04:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: purlieu on January 11, 2019, 08:13:15 PM
I find him embarrassing a lot of the time. Watching footage of him in the '90s, he seemed pretty witty, but since he's become a bit of an arty National Treasure I just find he seems a bit out of his depth and, frankly, boring.

His Sunday Service on 6Music was wonderful though.

jobotic

Just remembered that I saw Pulp supported by Stereolab. I got so twanged that I passed out by the speakers and was woken up by security while my friends looked for me outside. I was a class act back then.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: jobotic on January 11, 2019, 08:52:55 PM
Just remembered that I saw Pulp supported by Stereolab. I got so twanged that I passed out by the speakers and was woken up by security while my friends looked for me outside. I was a class act back then.

Yeah, but you'd do it all again in a turn of a coin, eh?

the ouch cube

A few good songs but I found his mechanically over-mannered, Am Dram Alan Ayckbourn Character schtick aggravating at the best of times.

madhair60

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Jockice on January 11, 2019, 07:18:25 PM
Jarvis has just been on Channel 4 News at a conference calling for a second Brexit referendum. Sad to say it came across as a bit embarrassing. Like he was trying to be funny but not succeeding.

Pulp were bollocks anyway.

Cunts are still running the world. And that's just the way he likes it.

Lordofthefiles

Pulp are bloody brilliant.

As soon as they were famous and rich they couldn't very well carry on the "we're nobodies and poor" schtick, so their next album sounds like a "woe-is-me, I'm depressed from all the cocaine and clean rooms in my house" concept piece... which it is!!

Pulp and Supergrass are the only bands that maintain any form of credibility post Britpop.

*Obviously all this is an argument 'of it's time', I mean, nothing has ever been as good as the music of the present day - with the white black people that own diamond mines and clothing companies based in China rocking the blummin house in the U. S. Of States and our very own Ed Sheeran and his lovely songs that say nothing.

Halcyon Fucking Days

daf

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on January 12, 2019, 02:47:01 PM
Pulp and Supergrass are the only bands that maintain any form of credibility post Britpop.

I'd add Super Furry Animals to that list - for me, they peaked a few years after Britpop was over with Rings Around the World (2001)

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: daf on January 12, 2019, 03:02:46 PM
I'd add Super Furry Animals to that list - for me, they peaked a few years after Britpop was over with Rings Around the World (2001)

Yeah, you can have that.
Dunno why but I always just see them as ploughing their own furrow rather than being involved in anything.

garbed_attic

I'm really fond of the pastoral malarky of We Love Life, but mostly for 'Wickerman', which contains some of the best stretches of lyrics Jarvis ever penned. My best friend wrote them all out and had them on his wall during his first year of uni, I remember.

Rocket Surgery

I once crashed a rowing boat into Jarvis Cocker, in Knaresborough.

That's about the most exciting celebrity anecdote I've got so I hope you all enjoyed it.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on January 12, 2019, 02:47:01 PM

Well, I'm going there. Blur got even better.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 12, 2019, 03:55:30 PM

I agree, sort of.
'The Great Escape' was their peak Britpop era album and it's patchy as fuck.
The 2 that preceded it and the 2 that followed were all vastly superior.

Gregory Torso

Pulp were a really awful band, yes, although they were still miles better than most of the other Britpop bands around at that time. A very dark time for British music, the mid to late 90s.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Your face is a really awful band!

Yeah. That's you told.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

daf

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: jobotic on January 11, 2019, 08:52:55 PM

Was that at the Brixton Academy? If so I was there that night, and somewhat shamefully my friend Sarah and I heckled Stereolab because we thought they were so boring.

And Ultrasound were the best post-Britpop band, not their debut album but the comeback one from around 2011-ish is a thing of absolute beauty.

greenman

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 12, 2019, 04:58:19 PM
Was that at the Brixton Academy? If so I was there that night, and somewhat shamefully my friend Sarah and I heckled Stereolab because we thought they were so boring.

And Ultrasound were the best post-Britpop band, not their debut album but the comeback one from around 2011-ish is a thing of absolute beauty.

I remember hearing a track from it at the time that was pleasant but not really that attach grabbing so never really followed up on it, still I think the better stuff from their first era like Same Band, Suckle, Aire and Calder, etc holds up well.

I always tended to take the view that Everything Picture flopping was along with the Beta Bands full debit doing the same marketed the end of the more interesting post Britpop era and the start of 00's landfill indie.

Sin Agog

The backing on Different Class sounded a bit chintzy last time I played it, almost like a rock midi. 

I do love the fact that the woman Common People was based on ended up marrying Yanis Varoufakis.

purlieu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 12, 2019, 03:55:30 PM
Mm, thanks. They were the first to go "right, sick of this Britpop malarky, let's do something different" and put out self-titled and 13 which are hugely creative and bloody brilliant.

Britpop is a weird one, it seemed to get a huge critical appraisal in the '00s as some kind of golden age, and as time's gone on it seems to draw more wrath than anything, with people referring to it as an era of Loaded, ruled by ploddy '60s-aping guitar music, but that really only reflects the fag end of the era. Starting with Blur's Modern Life is Rubbish, Suede's first two albums, Pulp's His 'n' Hers and Different Class, its early and middle years were mostly quite 'arty' with a number of quite effeminate or weird frontmen and lyrics from the perspective of outsiders. Even Definitely Maybe owes more to Madchester and shoegaze rather than the strum-a-long pedestrian rock they became known for later on. It also brought commercial attention to various shoegaze, psychedelic, synthpop, chamber pop, etc. groups (The Boo Radleys, Dubstar, The Divine Comedy, Super Furry Animals, Lightning Seeds, James), who had nothing in common with the Shed Seven / Ocean Colour Scene image the whole thing seems to be remembered for.
The Great Escape was shite (especially the image the band cultivated at the time), and that led into some of the terrible stuff that came around during '96 and '97, but between '93 and '95 there was a lot of incredibly creative music - and some great straight-forward pop - that fell under the Britpop banner which I think is unfairly overlooked because of the likes of Alex James and Hurricane #1.

the science eel

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 12, 2019, 04:15:21 PM
I agree, sort of.
'The Great Escape' was their peak Britpop era album and it's patchy as fuck.
The 2 that preceded it...

YEEEEESSS!!!!

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 12, 2019, 04:15:21 PMand the 2 that followed...

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

the science eel

alan nagsworth

Never got properly into them and feel like I maybe missed a trick, but Jarvis reads a few chapters on the Beastie Boys audiobook and he does an incredible job of it so they're good eggs in my opinion.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: purlieu on January 12, 2019, 05:49:57 PM

The Great Escape was shite (especially the image the band cultivated at the time),

It has many great tracks on it though. Some of their finest moments. I think TGE is unfairly maligned because of that fucking Country House video.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: greenman on January 12, 2019, 05:18:39 PM
I remember hearing a track from it at the time that was pleasant but not really that attach grabbing so never really followed up on it, still I think the better stuff from their first era like Same Band, Suckle, Aire and Calder, etc holds up well.

I always tended to take the view that Everything Picture flopping was along with the Beta Bands full debit doing the same marketed the end of the more interesting post Britpop era and the start of 00's landfill indie.

I loved the singles before the album came out (a couple of which don't even feature on it) but then found myself disappointed by the album, I'll have to give it another shot at some point though as my tastes in music have changed a lot over the years. And the 2nd album is a thing of loveliness, with Welfare State (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcJkYno05E) and Sovereign (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YelM1hNp0I) being my favourites on the album, though the latter takes about 2 minutes before it gets really good.

Quote from: greenman on January 12, 2019, 05:18:39 PM

That, and the British public deciding they liked Coldplay better than Campag Velocet on that NME package tour in 2000.

the science eel

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 12, 2019, 07:14:27 PM
It has many great tracks on it though. Some of their finest moments. I think TGE is unfairly maligned because of that fucking Country House video.

such a great song tho'

jobotic

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 12, 2019, 04:58:19 PM

It was. If I heard you and Sarah I probably gave you right evils. That would have been it, I wasn't that pissed when they were on.