Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "Pulp were bollocks, weren't they" thread

Started by Jockice, January 11, 2019, 04:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

When people ask me if I preferred Blur or Pulp, my answer is always the same: Suede.

purlieu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 12, 2019, 07:14:27 PM
It has many great tracks on it though. Some of their finest moments. I think TGE is unfairly maligned because of that fucking Country House video.
I like the four slow ballady tracks and 'Fade Away', but the rest of it can get to fuck.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 12, 2019, 04:27:38 PM
Pulp were a really awful band, yes, although they were still miles better than most of the other Britpop bands around at that time. A very dark time for British music, the mid to late 90s.

I would like to apologise for this post, which was made under the shadowy influence of a nasty hangover and a large blood tick that had attached itself to my forehead and was broadcasting all of my sexual fantasies about various regional weathergirls. I quite liked Pulp a lot around the time Lipgloss came out, and Jarvis was closer to my idea of a cool geezer than any other bloke in a band. So, apologies to fans of Pulp and members of Pulp.

I stand by what I said about Britpop, though. I liked Blur, at the time, despite hating all of the members except for Graham Coxon (who always seemed like he was in the wrong band), fucking hated Oasis and was/am/shall continue to be an absolute monolith of neutrality and non-opinion when it comes to Radiohead.

My face remains a gloopy mess of Northern Uproar, Molly Halfhead and Heavy Stereo, all duking it out to look and sound as bad as possible.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 12, 2019, 03:55:30 PM
Well, I'm going there. Blur got even better.

I played Think Tank twice. I think. Mind you, I quite like The Great Escape. Yuko And Hiro is a great album closer.

PS, just played it. I'd totally forgotten about that barrel organ or whatever it is piece after it. But that didn't have a title so my point still stands.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 13, 2019, 09:37:27 AM
I stand by what I said about Britpop, though. I liked Blur, at the time, despite hating all of the members except for Graham Coxon (who always seemed like he was in the wrong band)

He did too! Well, until post-Britpop anyway.
The Blur and 13 albums are bit more Grahamy.

I chatted to Andy Partridge (because I'm a friend of the stars) about his experiences working with Blur and he spoke about Graham in nothing but glowing terms. He generally likes Damon, but it seems there were a few clashes there. He didn't say so exactly, but I got the impression that he though Alex was a tit. And he didn't recall ever speaking to the drummer.
To be honest, I get the feeling that's how most people would react to them.

Maybe 'in the wrong band' is a good idea for a thread?

purlieu

That hidden track is an instrumental version of 'Ernold Same'.
And yeah, 'Yuko & Hiro' is utterly beautiful.

Jockice

Quote from: purlieu on January 13, 2019, 11:22:55 AM
That hidden track is an instrumental version of 'Ernold Same'.
And yeah, 'Yuko & Hiro' is utterly beautiful.

About Damon and Justine isn't it? It's a tough life being a pop star.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the science eel on January 12, 2019, 08:13:52 PM
such a great song tho'

I think so. We seem to be in a minority group within a minority group.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 13, 2019, 11:13:53 AM

Maybe 'in the wrong band' is a good idea for a thread?

I would argue Blur were a perfect storm as regards to their personalities.

Sin Agog

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 13, 2019, 11:13:53 AM

I chatted to Andy Partridge (because I'm a friend of the stars) about his experiences working with Blur and he spoke about Graham in nothing but glowing terms. He generally likes Damon, but it seems there were a few clashes there. He didn't say so exactly, but I got the impression that he though Alex was a tit. And he didn't recall ever speaking to the drummer.
To be honest, I get the feeling that's how most people would react to them.

Those descriptions completely correspond with their Nardwuar interview where they were being genuinely malicious to him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkNvk2MgiCc

Brundle-Fly

Dave Rowntree was at his lowest ebb at that point and was mortified by his behaviour. He apologised to the interviewer years ago.

PaulTMA

Dave claims he keeps a video of the Narwuar bullying on his phone in case he needs reminding never to take cocaine again

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 13, 2019, 06:16:41 PM
Dave claims he keeps a video of the Narwuar bullying on his phone in case he needs reminding never to take cocaine again

I like how this sounds like a post on the LEGEND GARY thread.