Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs which reference The Beatles

Started by Sin Agog, January 11, 2019, 05:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
A characteristically bizarre invocation in John Cale's Russian Roulette

QuoteWell, behind the sanitary napkin beauty
That oozes out of each and every song
He harnesses the blood bank soul
The (park bench) creatures that belong
Hey, John Wayne, he can feel no pain
'Cause he's got no brain
He's riding horses to Apocalypse and back
Just like a crosseyed Paul McCartney
Like another crosseyed Paul McCartney

phantom_power

If we are talking samples then there is a Black Dog track that samples the "1, 2, 3, 4" bit at the start of Sgt Pepper Reprise. Then there is the Grey Album of course

mrClaypole

Jimmy Cross was on his "way to a Beatles concert" in the song I want my baby back

Brundle-Fly

You Can't Do That - Harry Nillson. turns the OP inside out by performing a Beatles number and adding loads of extra Beatles references himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue0Mf7_EHk8

kngen

The Dictators - Who Will Save Rock'n'Roll?

'June 1st, 67
Something died and went to heaven
I wish Sgt Pepper
Never taught the band to play'

HDM and the boys clearly not fans of the 'greatest album of all time'

a duncandisorderly

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: famethrowa on January 18, 2019, 11:33:26 PM
absolutely mental song.

banging. when I was working at sky for a year, I had to hear it every day to keep me sane.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: non capisco on January 14, 2019, 11:50:19 PM
'King Rocker' by Generation X is about Billy Idol imagining John Lennon having some kind of boxing match with Elvis Presley. Idol keeps repeatedly mentioning King Kong as well but it's unclear how he's involved, presumably just as a spectator because he'd obviously leather the pair of them.

Elvis was a southern boy built like a brick shithouse (ironically the same reason that he died the way he did), he would knock spots of Lennon!

Howj Begg

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 19, 2019, 07:40:58 AM
Elvis was a southern boy built like a brick shithouse (ironically the same reason that he died the way he did), he would knock spots of Lennon!

Elvis would start in with the karate kicks, Lennon would meanwhile be stabbing the Pelvis with a smashed wine bottle.

Yoko would be singlehandedly fending off the Memphis Mafia.

Custard

I reckon Aunt Mimi would weigh in with a few hefty cracks

Brundle-Fly

Elvis Costello - The Other Side Of Summer makes a veiled dig at Lennon.

Was it a millionaire who said "imagine no possessions"?

A lyric that always gets dragged up now as hypocritical but that jibe slightly misses the point. See  "Hope I die before I get old" as well.

Paaaaul

Quote from: non capisco on January 15, 2019, 12:12:31 AM
And Ringo's drum intro from the Sgt Pepper reprise.
I'm pretty sure it also samples the crowd noise from Sgt Pepper (orig) too.

Harpo Speaks

Run DMC - King of Rock

QuoteEvery jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us, but we're not the BEATLES

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 19, 2019, 12:35:18 PM
Elvis Costello - The Other Side Of Summer makes a veiled dig at Lennon.

Was it a millionaire who said "imagine no possessions"?

A lyric that always gets dragged up now as hypocritical but that jibe slightly misses the point. See  "Hope I die before I get old" as well.

Lennon himself said that Imagine was "Working Class Hero with sugar on", in his open letter to Macca:

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1971.11jp.beatles.html

But he seems to be coked up to the gills in that letter.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on January 20, 2019, 11:03:21 PM
Run DMC - King of Rock

Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us, but we're not the BEATLES

I like Run DMC, but that's the stupidest rhyming couplet I've ever heard.  It would have been passable but for the 'but'.

alan nagsworth

That could have been any husband John!

Dream Academy - Life In A Northern Town

buzby

The original white label promo of The JAMs debut single All You Need Is Love samples the full intro to The Beatles track of the same name. On the version that was released they kept the trumpet refrain but recreated it with a comedy vocal sample and only kept the sample of the initial 'Love' (which was pitched down to create the others) in the hope they wouldn't get sued.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 20, 2019, 11:12:13 PM
Lennon himself said that Imagine was "Working Class Hero with sugar on", in his open letter to Macca:

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1971.11jp.beatles.html

But he seems to be coked up to the gills in that letter.

That's fascinating. How did it all end with Allen Klein and John, George & Ringo?   

SteveDave

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 22, 2019, 02:38:02 PM
That's fascinating. How did it all end with Allen Klein and John, George & Ringo?

Paul was right.

Brundle-Fly

daf

Unfortunately, the version you can buy on the Beatlemaniacs!!! CD is the edited second pressing with all of the 'quotes' over the end chorus removed for tedious 'legal reasons' ("spoilsports!" - Ed.)  - but here's the ace promo version complete with authentic 60's vinyl crackles :

"Saint Paul"  by Terry Knight (1969)

References in the lyrics :
- 'You and Sgt Pepper saw the writing on the wall' (Sgt Pepper)
- 'You say it's the fool that plays it cool, son' (Hey Jude)
- 'Let me take you down . . down . . down . . down . .  down . . down' (Strawberry Fields)
- 'Did Judas really talk to you' (Hey Jude)
- 'I read the news today, Oh Boy' (Day in the Life)
- 'Sir Issac Newton said it would fall' (subtle one this : apple)

Songs 'quoted' over/under end chorus :
- Hello Goodbye
- Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
- She Loves You
- All You need is Love

- - - - - - - -
QuoteIn early 1969 Knight secured a producer's contract with Capitol Records which also allowed him to release his own songs as a solo artist. He wrote and recorded a single, "Saint Paul", which may have contributed to the "Paul is dead" hoax that erupted late in the year. The cryptic lyrics of the song are generally thought to allude to Knight's failed relationship with McCartney and his apparent belief that the Beatles would soon break up. The lyrics do not refer to death but were interpreted by some fans as containing clues. The ending repeats the phrase "hey Paul" in an arrangement that sounds similar to the Beatles' song "Hey Jude". There are two versions, both in stereo. The full five-minute version contains a high-pitched voice singing lines from Beatles songs, including "Hello, Goodbye", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "She Loves You", while the four- minute edit does not contain additional song excerpts.

Initial copies of the single listed Knight's company Storybook Music as the publisher of "Saint Paul". After Capitol received a cease and desist letter from the Beatles' music publisher, Maclen Music (the U.S. division of Northern Songs), the record was pulled from distribution.

A deal was then worked out between Knight and Maclen Music. About a month later, in May 1969, "Saint Paul" was reissued with a publishing credit by Maclen. The second pressing of the record also contained a note on the label that stated that "Hey Jude" was "used by permission". The reassignment of the publishing rights made Knights' song the only non Lennon–McCartney tune owned by Maclen. "Saint Paul" reached the top 40 in some cities in the upper Midwest region but failed to make the Billboard Hot 100 national chart. The fact that "Saint Paul" was re-published by Maclen was seen by some Beatle fans as evidence of a conspiracy involving Knight, the Beatles and the "Paul is dead" rumor.