Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music things you don't see anymore

Started by kalowski, January 11, 2019, 09:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: gib on January 12, 2019, 11:11:39 PM
Daltrey meets Seinfeld, yeah.

" have you ever noticed when You're deaf, dumb and blind,  it's really difficult to play pinball...what's the deal with that ? "
( except it was really easy for Tommy, wasn't it ? Fuck it, I 'm still posting this bollocks , new page or not )

Tommy was blind and dumb, but not deaf. However, he got that impression after meeting a "low talker".

Neomod

Does any one know what model (s) reel to reels were used by the above artists: that's yer OMD's, Human Leagues and Cocteau Twin?

Sebastian Cobb

The Cocteau Twins did seem to use it for the electronic drums and synths alongside live vocals and guitars.

https://youtu.be/u0upaIZF_gA

It may have been easier in those days to bring their own gear they knew how to use and patch it in on stage rather than rely on injection behind the desk.

I'd guess multiple machines are showing off a bit, because it would be more effort to set up and synchronise 3 machines than it would be to bounce everything down to a single tape.

Sorry I didn't read the question properly.

buzby

Quote from: Neomod on January 13, 2019, 11:18:07 AM
Does any one know what model (s) reel to reels were used by the above artists: that's yer OMD's, Human Leagues and Cocteau Twin?
In the OMD TOTP clip they are using a 2-track (there's only 2 VU meters), but their usual 4-track tape machine was a TEAC A3340 called Winston:

The 2-track on TOTP looks like a TEAC A3300.

The Cocteau Twins' machine in the pic  Seb posted looks like an Otari MX-5050, which came out in 1983. In the OGWT video it looks like they are using a Tascam 34, which came out in 1982.

The Human League used a Revox B77 2-track on their early pre-split OGWT appearance. For The Sound Of The Crowd on TOTP they are using 3 TEAC A3440s, which came out in 1979. This was long before 1/4" tape machines were offered with SMPTE sync, so there would be no way to get them to sync together as standard (though I''m sure the transport controls could be tinkered with to make a second machine slave off a master). For the subsequent singles off Dare the tape machines disappeared from TV appearances..

Sebastian Cobb

Is the transport controls thing more or less what Gene Hackman was using when mixing the audio in The Conversation?

Neville Chamberlain

Nice, unpretentious people like Tamsin Archer. You don't see her like anymore.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2019, 11:50:17 AM
Is the transport controls thing more or less what Gene Hackman was using when mixing the audio in The Conversation?
The transport controls are the play, rewind, fast forward etc. buttons. Prosumer and above level reel to reel decks usually had a wired remote input for the transport controls, which you can see in this shot from the film.

The Human League's TEAC A3440 decks had remote control inputs, which you could plug the RC-70 remote control unit into:

You could use that remote control input to knock up a rudimentary circuit that would start and stop multiple decks in unison, but they would never be truly in sync like they would be if they had an SMPTE sync facility.

I suspect the League had 3 decks because for live work they would have had half their set on one deck and half on the other (1/4" stereo masters for albums usually used one tape reel per side) and the third deck was a spare.

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on January 14, 2019, 12:05:37 PM

Good job too.  Remember her blaming you for the moonlit night?  Like, you made the local streetlighting break down, all by yourself?

easytarget

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on January 14, 2019, 12:05:37 PM
There all dead now, breaks yer 'art.

Vodka Margarine

Hit singles used to promote summer blockbusters and the accompanying soundtrack album, with frequent 'funny' or 'emotional' clips of the film liberally peppered all over the music video.

Maurice Yeatman

Ray Cooper on percussion at the back.

phantom_power

People smiling when singing on music programmes

Head Gardener

gilbertharding

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on January 14, 2019, 10:53:48 PM
Hit singles used to promote summer blockbusters and the accompanying soundtrack album, with frequent 'funny' or 'emotional' clips of the film liberally peppered all over the music video.

Narrative music videos, with extra bits of non-music soundtrack (eg dialogue at the beginning/end, in the middle, or dramatic sound effects). Hello by Lionel Ritchie is probably the ultimate example.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 15, 2019, 02:06:20 PM
Narrative music videos, with extra bits of non-music soundtrack (eg dialogue at the beginning/end, in the middle, or dramatic sound effects). Hello by Lionel Ritchie is probably the ultimate example.

* Zombie Michael Jackson shuffles out of thread, looking all dejected *

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

* followed by Julien Temple and David Bowie's ghost, with "Bowie muttering 'did all that prepearation for my Vic The Wally character, plaster on me nose, and everythin' " in those lovely Brixton tones. They, too, look dejected. *

Icehaven

I've always enjoyed music videos (can't say I've seen a new one in about a decade though) but it always surprised me how many artists and music fans alike say they hate them. Some artists moan about having to make them and/or the label or someone else with the purse strings forcing them to make something they don't like just for MTV and latterly Youtube, and a lot of music fans find them unnecessary or and dislike how once you've seen the video you can't not think of it when hearing the music, which spoils it (particularly if it doesn't sit with your own idea of the music.). 

Pingers

Quote from: easytarget on January 14, 2019, 10:23:49 PM
There all dead now, breaks yer 'art.

Of course, they're all dead by the time... No, hang on a minute

gilbertharding

Quote from: icehaven on January 15, 2019, 02:22:03 PM
I've always enjoyed music videos (can't say I've seen a new one in about a decade though) but it always surprised me how many artists and music fans alike say they hate them. Some artists moan about having to make them and/or the label or someone else with the purse strings forcing them to make something they don't like just for MTV and latterly Youtube, and a lot of music fans find them unnecessary or and dislike how once you've seen the video you can't not think of it when hearing the music, which spoils it (particularly if it doesn't sit with your own idea of the music.).

Me too - especially the 80s overkill/experiments with form. The first example of artists 'hating' them I came across was the Wonder Stuff - whose VHS collection was titled 'Eleven Appalling Promos'.

I can also recommend a watch on youtube of Oasis videos with Noel's commentary - he's quite pithy about what's going on, and if you click on the right link after you've searched, you only have to listen to the minimum of Oasis.

Wet Blanket

I hate those, especially ones that interrupt the song half way through for some shenanigans, or have sound effects and dialogue over the song itself. Glad they're gone

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 15, 2019, 02:54:13 PM
I hate those, especially ones that interrupt the song half way through for some shenanigans, or have sound effects and dialogue over the song itself. Glad they're gone

Best one for this Richard Ashcroft's Song For The Lovers, which completely stops to allow our hero to have a long and audible piss in his hotel room (though sadly into a toilet - not very ROCK AND ROLL eh, Dickie?). Still the highlight of his solo career by some margin.

buzby

Quote from: icehaven on January 15, 2019, 02:22:03 PM
Most artists don't like making them because the label needs them to promote the record, but despite the both the band and the label profiting from the increased sales as a result, most of the production cost for them comes out of the band's account. Most bands would rather keep the tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds they cost in the bank (or off their debt).

Neomod

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 15, 2019, 02:54:13 PM

You mean..

https://youtu.be/v5jVLiTlnnE?t=18

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 15, 2019, 02:00:10 PM

8 Track tapes

I've not ever seen one, and plenty in my family had other obsolete media like 78's and reels etc.