Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monumental anniversary this week

Started by Icehaven, January 11, 2019, 09:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Everyone under 30 has grown up in a post-Del-falling-through-the-bar epoch.

Incredible when you think about it.

Operty1

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 11, 2019, 09:53:20 PM
Everyone under 30 has grown up in a post-Del-falling-through-the-bar epoch.

Incredible when you think about it.

And they probably all don't believe that it happened, despite there being footage of it. Del never fell through the bar, it was faked in a studio sheeple.

Ferris

Quote from: Operty1 on January 12, 2019, 12:05:54 AM
And they probably all don't believe that it happened, despite there being footage of it. Del never fell through the bar, it was faked in a studio sheeple.

If it really happened, how did Trigger know to make a face?

#TriggerTruthers

Operty1

Del was actually brought down by controlled demolition, look at the angles and the shadows.

Maurice Yeatman

Joking aside, it still seems incredible that they kept it in for the broadcast version. Jason was reportedly furious.

Sin Agog

Ferris

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 12, 2019, 12:28:39 AM
Then why didn't he make a face?

It was an off-the-record pratfall for the amusement of the cast and crew. He wasn't "on" so obviously follow up making of faces was far from his mind.

Sullivan stitched him up by including it in the final cut. Disgrace.

Sin Agog

Grotty behaviour, but what was so bad about it that he didn't want it in?  It's not like Del had never been used for physical comedy before.

Captain Z

Couldn't get away with this now, bloody health & safety. #leavemeansleave

Brundle-Fly

It seems Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda tried soooo hard to have their own iconic 'falling through the bar' moment, nearly, but not quite cutting the mustard.

BlodwynPig

^yeh very forced shit.

ps. Who is the guy in the blue and white checked shirt to the left of Trigger?

RedRevolver

Idk, I think everyone under the age of 30 fails to find much inherently humourous about it, having been exposed, dare I say, abused by Gold's relentless 'Top 40 Comedy Moments' shows that fucking refuse to find anything else remotely good.

Interesting to know it wasn't scripted, though.

pigamus

No matter how well Del fell, he never fell as well as Stuart Fell, who always fell exceptionally well.

Sin Agog

Just started watching a randy new Netflix thing starring Gillian Anderson called Sex Education, and in the very first scene OFAH is playing in the background while a teen couple screw upstairs.  I think it's the episode when Rodney starts dating an older woman, as it's got Del saying, "Fallen in love with somebody who's got the vote this time?" I guess they included it in to mark the occasion.

Chriddof

This is the first I've heard of the bar falling not being scripted, and doing a quick Google it reveals loads of other people thinking the same. But it's wrong! John Sullivan saw it happen for real in a pub, and worked it into an episode.

Setting the bar, then falling below it, is a good metaphor for the historical arc of OFAH as a comedy show.

biggytitbo

Shame theyve never shown any of the outtakes were Jason somehow falls upwards from laying on the floor. Was reportedly even funnier than the version broadcast, although it also terrified some of the crew.

Captain Z

It's a common mistake but this scene was scripted, it was the chandelier dropping that was unscripted.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Chriddof on January 12, 2019, 06:03:57 PM
This is the first I've heard of the bar falling not being scripted, and doing a quick Google it reveals loads of other people thinking the same. But it's wrong! John Sullivan saw it happen for real in a pub, and worked it into an episode.

Sorry, but that's rubbish. Sullivan concocted that story to placate Jason who had threatened to leave the show after the scene was left in. Sullivan didn't like pubs and had never been in one.

Chriddof

Quote from: Captain Z on January 12, 2019, 08:18:21 PM
It's a common mistake but this scene was scripted, it was the chandelier dropping that was unscripted.

Ah yes, that's right. Originally there was going to be a huge explosion when Grandad made his fateful hammer strike, but the production crew misread the script direction "The stately house is blown sky-high and Del and Rodney stagger out of the wreckage with blackened faces" as "The other chandelier falls to the ground, smashing to pieces" and wired the location's chandelier controls up all wrong as a result.

Claims that Chandler from Friends fell to the ground instead are completely wrong, however.

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on January 12, 2019, 08:53:16 PM
Sorry, but that's rubbish. Sullivan concocted that story to placate Jason who had threatened to leave the show after the scene was left in. Sullivan didn't like pubs and had never been in one.

David Jason didn't exist in the 1980s, though. They used an animatronic puppet and a skilled impressionist for the voice until he blinked back into existence on 1st January 1990.

Ferris

QuoteDavid Jason didn't exist in the 1980s, though. They used an animatronic puppet and a skilled impressionist for the voice until he blinked back into existence on 1st January 1990.

You're thinking of Rodney after that whole Goodnight, Sweetheart time-loop debacle.