Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:22:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2019

Started by dr beat, January 12, 2019, 03:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flouncer

I've not noticed that. What a brilliant match this has been. Hopefully Robbo can make a comeback here - I don't want this to end yet!

Flouncer

Shit... He was so unlucky to fluke that red in. This could be it.

Blue Jam

Shame. I was hoping that would go to 25 frames. Well played Robbo.

Still, I am pleased to see Ronnie equal Hendry's record, if only because Hendry is a sleazy git.

Ronnie, enjoy those RAAAANKIN POINTS and the number 1 ranking you genuinely don't care about, MAAAATE.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Good final.

I would also be up for a snooker meet.  Me and my colleague started playing once or twice a week after work, but I've pussied out recently and insisted on us playing pool instead, because I got sick of frames being decided by fouls and by who got lucky with position on the colours.

In the last game I think he potted 11 reds to my 4 and totally outclassed me, but I fluked position on the black twice, and he made some stupid fouls.

My highest break is 8 this year, but i'm most proud of my red-yellow-red-yellow 6 break the other week.  Think I once managed 2 reds and 2 blacks about 15 years ago when I played every weekend with my dad.

imitationleather

Neil Robertson must be sick of the sight of Ronnie.

Norton Canes

Did he do the post-match interview in an Aussie accent?

Puce Moment

So this tournament has started to become a real favourite of mine. I thought it was fantastic last year, and this year was even better. Giving some thought to going next year, or at least for the semis if it clashes with work bullshit. The semi-finals this year were so fucking good that I absolutely assumed that the final would be a real let-down (a common occurrence in ranking tournaments).

I went to see some matches in Sheffield a couple of years ago and I absolutely loved it. The Winter Garden is buzzing, and there is simply nothing quite like sitting in the crucible ready to watch O'Sullivan beat Bingham or Hawkins. More surreal is the experience of bumping into Tony Virgo at the local Tesco Express or having a chat with Steve Davies about Krautrock before leaving the hotel bar for bed. Also, you get to see all the nutty O'Sullivan fans - some of whom have clearly moved onto him from worshipping Mike Read.

Also, I turned up with tickets for a couple of semi sessions, and managed to buy tickets last minute online for some big matches. Usually face value but it is a wild experience not knowing what you are doing for the evening, and then 30mins later you have bought some tickets and you are sitting close Selby's Mum watching him get caned by Robertson.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 25, 2019, 12:59:20 PM
I went to see some matches in Sheffield a couple of years ago and I absolutely loved it. The Winter Garden is buzzing, and there is simply nothing quite like sitting in the crucible ready to watch O'Sullivan beat Bingham or Hawkins. More surreal is the experience of bumping into Tony Virgo at the local Tesco Express or having a chat with Steve Davies about Krautrock before leaving the hotel bar for bed. Also, you get to see all the nutty O'Sullivan fans - some of whom have clearly moved onto him from worshipping Mike Read.

Mike Read? Really? Ronnie is a Corbynista, it's Peter Ebdon who's a bit UKIP...

I had been wondering what it's like to be in the audience when Ronnie's playing. Is it a bit of a laugh to be surrounded by pissed-up Legend Garys bellowing WURRRRRGGHHH GWAAARRRN RONNIE or is it just annoying? Also I get the impression that some of his fans are like Ricky Gervais fans- even the mildest criticisms of him on the Reddit snooker board get a load of downvotes and angry replies full of personal insults, and I noted the same thing with the comments on BBC Snooker today.  To be fair to Ronnie though I don't think he actively encourages this behaviour the way Gervais does.

Cheers for all that Puce Moment, if anyone else has any tips on how to "do" Sheffield during the WC I'd love to hear them. Mr Jam and I are going to an afternoon session in the middle weekend, mainly because we knew we'd both have that weekend free. I'm guessing the afternoon sessions are a bit more sedate than the evening sessions, from what people here have said in previous snooker threads here. After my experience of going to Sheffield for a job interview and finding most of the hotels fully booked even though the only big thing that seemed to be on was Docfest, I made sure we booked our hotel and train tickets as soon as we could and we got them pretty cheap. I'm hoping to see Ding (to make Biggy well jel), preferably against one of the young guns like Luca Brecel or Kylo Ren. Trump or Robbo would be good too. Murphy vs Selby would be the worst case scenario because I don't want to find myself grudgingly supporting Selby, and I'd rather not see John Higgins' gammon chin wagging in the flesh, but really I'm just excited to be going and I'd be happy to see anyone.

Does the fan zone or whatever it's called have a few tables you can piss about on? Can you hang about and spot the pundits and players in the media centre? Where's the best place to spot a few players that isn't a vegan restaurant? Which pubs have the snooker on (it's all of them, isn't it?)?

Shoulders, thanks for the recommendations for those pubs- I know a few good places from my last trip to Sheffield but I didn't find one with a snooker table last time.

Oh yes, and what should I wear so you fuckers can spot us? Biggy suggested a t-shirt with a picture of Ron (not O'Sullivan, I mean Ron the legendary Virgin Media customer) but I wouldn't want to disrepect the dead. No sports colours obviously...

Morrison Lard

Final was ok, but Robertson was playing catch up almost all the match and could never quite get on par with Ronnie.
Brilliant to see Selby finally knocked off his perch.

Final frame of Judd/Ronald was one of the best I've ever seen. Great entertainment.

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 25, 2019, 12:59:20 PM
So this tournament has started to become a real favourite of mine. I thought it was fantastic last year, and this year was even better.
The Tour Championship?
This year was the first one.

Edit :

Also, Phil fucking Yates.
Dreadful commentator who can't stop talking in that Tony-Blackburn-DeeJay voice.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 25, 2019, 03:27:59 PM
Mike Read? Really? Ronnie is a Corbynista, it's Peter Ebdon who's a bit UKIP...

Yeah, my Mike Read references are a bit less current: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NlGFVadESY

QuoteI had been wondering what it's like to be in the audience when Ronnie's playing. Is it a bit of a laugh to be surrounded by pissed-up Legend Garys bellowing WURRRRRGGHHH GWAAARRRN RONNIE or is it just annoying? Also I get the impression that some of his fans are like Ricky Gervais fans- even the mildest criticisms of him on the Reddit snooker board get a load of downvotes and angry replies full of personal insults, and I noted the same thing with the comments on BBC Snooker today.  To be fair to Ronnie though I don't think he actively encourages this behaviour the way Gervais does.

It's hard to really say how amazing it was to see Ronjo playing at the Crucible. The silence is surreal - everyone goes deathly quiet. The arm movement of some twat wearing a North Face jacket becomes like the MBV holocaust in this context. I saw Ron play Hawkins in the opening frames session of a quarter final. That doesn't exactly set the soul slight, but I fucking loved it. Electric. The fans pretty much keep to themselves but they can be really twatty in a way that is not picked up on the mics. For instance, they will react badly to a good pot from his competitor (I have never understood that - I appreciate a great pot from Higgins even though he is a hang-dog cheating cunt).

QuoteCheers for all that Puce Moment, if anyone else has any tips on how to "do" Sheffield during the WC I'd love to hear them. Mr Jam and I are going to an afternoon session in the middle weekend, mainly because we knew we'd both have that weekend free.

I actually prefer the morning or afternoon sessions for watching really great snooker, but the evening cannot be beaten for atmos. My advice is to hang around a bit, spend time in the winter garden and see Hazel and the great bunch of lads doing their thing. Then amble over to the crucible, watch some of a match on the big screen outside, and then go in to see all the shit merch. You might be surprised by how well behaved everyone is even though a large percentage of the male audience is shit-faced by cue-off. I saw blokes downing beers at 9am getting ready for the first session. But they are snooker fans in the main, and are happy to sit half-cut watching the action whilst only making little quiet remarks to each other comparing Donald and Judd Trump's increasingly in-denial hairlines.

QuoteDoes the fan zone or whatever it's called have a few tables you can piss about on? Can you hang about and spot the pundits and players in the media centre? Where's the best place to spot a few players that isn't a vegan restaurant? Which pubs have the snooker on (it's all of them, isn't it?)?

Yes, the winter garden has a few tables that fans can play on and get advice from snooker nerds. You can see one of them in the background during Hazel's links. So, the Crucible has a bar and a private area that the players are usually to be found. But I think the best place is the bar area in the Mercure Hotel which opens directly into the side of the winter garden. It's where all the players and pundits stay, and you will see faces in the bar, at breakfast, and even a bit of Hendry in the spa area.

Most of the pubs have the snooker on but at the weekend a sizeable amount do not. I really like watching matches on the big screen outside in the crucible square to be honest. There is a decent boozer right there to get a drink a watch the action. Very communal and fun.

QuoteOh yes, and what should I wear so you fuckers can spot us? Biggy suggested a t-shirt with a picture of Ron (not O'Sullivan, I mean Ron the legendary Virgin Media customer) but I wouldn't want to disrepect the dead. No sports colours obviously...

I went with a dark version of this:

Puce Moment

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 25, 2019, 03:33:58 PMFinal was ok, but Robertson was playing catch up almost all the match and could never quite get on par with Ronnie.

It was delicious - they kept asking him about records, and all I could think was that he was just delighted to be back on top again.

QuoteThe Tour Championship?
This year was the first one.

You are quite right of course. I must be thinking about the other championship that play at Llandudno - is it the UK championship Open or something? Great venue and the crowd seem good.

QuoteAlso, Phil fucking Yates.
Dreadful commentator who can't stop talking in that Tony-Blackburn-DeeJay voice.

I started to find Foulds unbearable as a commentator. He just won't shut the fuck up.

Blue Jam

Great post PM, thanks for that- sorry for the late reply, I haven't had the time to type out the proper reply it deserves:

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 26, 2019, 10:37:16 AM
It's hard to really say how amazing it was to see Ronjo playing at the Crucible. The silence is surreal - everyone goes deathly quiet.

I can't say I'll complain if we do get to see Ronnie, especially if he's up against Ding (oo-er) for Chapter 2 of the Ronnie/Ding bromance.

I was thinking of putting a couple of bets on this year but I'm not sure I can be arsed now. I thought of Judd or Robbo for a reasonably safe bet, plus Kylo Ren or Luca Brecel as a more risky one. With Ronnie's apparent meltdown it seemed everyone else suddenly became a safer bet but despite his recent outbursts he seems to be playing well and I wouldn't bother with whatever tiddly odds the bookies are offering now he's no. 1. Also I jinxed Ding last year- mug's game innit...

Quotecomparing Donald and Judd Trump's increasingly in-denial hairlines.

I have been re-reading all the CaB snooker threads to amuse myself lately and this topic has been cropping up since about 2012. I think Judd has got that Stewart Lee/Morrissey/Woody Allen thing going on where he has reached a certain level of baldness and then it's just stopped. Better put away the popcorn, Biggy.

QuoteYes, the winter garden has a few tables that fans can play on and get advice from snooker nerds.

Squeeeeee... I shall try and get a bit more practice in over the next month.

QuoteBut I think the best place is the bar area in the Mercure Hotel which opens directly into the side of the winter garden. It's where all the players and pundits stay, and you will see faces in the bar, at breakfast, and even a bit of Hendry in the spa area.

Cheers, I'll go on a snooker safari and see if I can spot Mark Williams eating crisps or something.

QuoteI really like watching matches on the big screen outside in the crucible square to be honest. There is a decent boozer right there to get a drink a watch the action. Very communal and fun.

I like The Head Of Steam which is also nearby but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any screens. I may head there in the unlikely event of snooker fatigue.

QuoteI went with a dark version of this:

Heheheheh... love it, but I'm going to an afternoon session and a Ding t-shirt would be far too erotic to be on the BBC before the watershed.

I have since fallen down the rabbit hole of snooker t-shirts and this is my favourite so far. Being Welsh means I can't wear this, I'm just laughing at the drawing of Shaun Murphy's tiny face and wondering which one of you fuckers was responsible- come on, own up:

https://www.redbubble.com/people/momojaja/works/30514546-english-masters-of-snooker?cat_context=all-departments&grid_pos=5&p=classic-tee&rbs=dc17a6e5-7ef1-4856-94b1-e5a2cc67ec9f&ref=shop_grid&searchTerm=england%20snooker#&gid=1&pid=3

Thanlks again Puce, +147 karma to you.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Is a Dark version of that something like a silhouette of Ding being accosted and mugged?

Blue Jam

The dark version features Biggy and is NSFW.

All Martin Gould t-shirts are dark.

jobotic

Never seen Rod Lawler before. Fabulous. You know what? I'm happy.

Flouncer

I got up early to watch the final, but it's not a great match - Jack Lisowski is on his arse. Robertson looking ominously good going into the Crucible.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 25, 2019, 03:33:58 PM

I hadn't been following the Chinese Open so I have only just seen this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/47777072

Bwahahaha... Poor bastard- tipped to be the next player to dominate the game, only to start losing first round matches to amateurs and rank outsiders. He's been well and truly jinxed- I almost feel sorry for him...

BlodwynPig

Didn't know Shoulder's was ranked in the top100

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Absolutely massive first rounder against bloated gobshite dropout Dominic Dale, I'm bricking it.

Might chin him

Blue Jam

Anyone else absolutely hyped for this offishul Barry Hearn-approved shite?

https://youtu.be/iH_nKhOvyIw

I hate myself.

Lost Oliver

I used to love the 2003 game. Stayed up until 4 am most nights with a protractor up against my tiny TV, getting the angles all right so that I could score a century break with every move whilst doing nothing about the positional play. Felt out of love with the game after my mum caught me one night and called me a saddo.

Blue Jam

Biggy should have been baldness consultant on this. The developers have got Mark Williams' hair peninsula right but Judd Trump's bald patch is absent.

I wonder if the players had to approve their likenesses, or if any of them have been slimmed down a bit...

biggytitbo

All the players have that weird dead eyed look, so very true to life.

The way Judd is going, they'll only need a few polygons for his hair before too long.

It'll never be a patch on Jimmy White's Cueball will it?

Blue Jam

Love this from the blurb:

QuoteTRUE-TO-LIFE SIMULATION - This is the most authentic simulation of snooker ever created. With life-like physics, advanced artificial intelligence that captures the traits of pro players

Does that mean they've made Ronnie mental and Shaun Murphy a cunt?

Just pre-ordered... I think I'll start off with Mark Williams vs Luca Brecel to see if they've got all the tattoos right.

Blue Jam

Biggy, if I find the cheat code that makes all of Ding's clothes disappear I'll let you know.

biggytitbo

They'd be missing a trick if they didn't include a bonus level where you have to make Ding get in a giant pie.

Blue Jam

Stephen Hendry is putting out his own snooker game, with blackjack and hookers and Michaela Tabb:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/04/this_is_snooker_goes_head-to-head_with_snooker_19

The consensus seems to be that this one is more realistic and more of a proper, serious snooker simulation... Nah, fuck that...

I'll start a proper thread in the Technology forum once the reviews are out...

dr beat

Either way, I don't think gaming technology is anywhere advanced enough yet to recreate Jimmy White's hair. 

biggytitbo

Quote from: dr beat on April 08, 2019, 12:55:27 PM
Either way, I don't think gaming technology is anywhere advanced enough yet to recreate Jimmy White's hair.

Neither is wig science by the looks of it.

biggytitbo

Hendry is looking pretty rough these days isn't he, they should have replaced him with a CGI Willy Thorne and spent the difference on more accurate ball physics.