Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:18:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2019

Started by dr beat, January 12, 2019, 03:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2019, 08:53:47 AM
2020 tickets on sale in five minutes, motherfuckers:

https://www.cruciblesnooker.com/

...CaB snooker meet in Sheffield on the 25th of April 2020? See you there!

Blue Jam

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 01, 2019, 07:34:33 PM
But if I can afford it, I'll get a ticket. This is on of the best threads on here, I reckon a snooker meet would be great. How much are the tickets likely to be?

To update you on this: I think Bazza (can we blame Bazza? Let's blame Bazza) is finally starting to take the piss with the ticket prices this year. For 2019, we paid £35 each for one of the cheap seats for a second round match, and that was a good deal as the cheap seats started pretty near the front, and we got a great view from row D. This year those same seats are £104 (!) each as the cheap seats start at row G- and at £44. I still think that's not too bad for four solid gold entertainment hours, I'm just glad we'll still be fairly near.

Sitting in the front row seems a bit pointless to me anyway as you'll have a good view of the players, but that low down you'll have a poor view of the table. Unless you're an autograph hunter or you've got a wardrobe of t-shirts promoting a plant-based diet and you want to show them off on telly I don't see the point.

I've also gone for seats right near the divider- unless you're right at the front, you can see both tables from there. We saw a bit of Bingham vs Higgins when we were there because we could see the top half of the table, and watching the TV coverage of Maguire vs Cahill later I noticed a lot of people on the Bingham/Higgins side craning their necks at the other match. Can't blame them really...

Blue Jam

Love this. Desolate glamour:

QuoteVIP Package

The ultimate indulgence at the most prestigious snooker event in the world. Why not take advantage of our VIP Package for the final sessions of the 2020 World Snooker Championship?

Your package includes:

Glass of sparkling wine upon arrival at Crucible Corner restaurant

3 course lunch or dinner with beverages

Prime view seating session ticket

World Snooker goodie bag including a souvenir programme and commentary radio

Appearance during your meal from a World Snooker 'legend'

Photograph with the World Championship trophy, to remember your day with us!

Prices from £325

That World Snooker 'legend' is totally going to be Shaun Murphy, isn't it?

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2019, 01:10:55 PM
Love this. Desolate glamour:

That World Snooker 'legend' is totally going to be Shaun Murphy, isn't it?

I've got visions of Tony Drago emerging from a Triangle chalk pentagram during the dessert course, like in The Devil Rides Out.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 05, 2019, 06:11:20 PM
Seeing him at the Mercure bar, with his baggy shirt and spiky hair, he looked like he was ready for an afternoon by the pool in Benidorm. Doherty was wearing jeans but looked dead smart.

Just been back down the clwb snwcer. Only managed a high break of 7 today but got a lovely long pot on the blue and managed a double on the brown that was actually entirely intentional. I'm chuffed to fuck.

When you practice, do you just play out a frame from break to finish like you would in a match? I know it's all about fun but the better you are the more fun you'll have, there's a couple of practice drills I could pm you if you'd like, nothing complicated or boring, just a bit of repetition to get you used to potting balls.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2019, 09:12:28 AM

...CaB snooker meet in Sheffield on the 25th of April 2020? See you there!

My birthday, so a good excuse as any.

imitationleather

Ah man. Can't believe that didn't end up being a 147.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: imitationleather on May 06, 2019, 02:26:10 PM
Ah man. Can't believe that didn't end up being a 147.

I was actually hoping he'd have got that, he deserved it after that double. If anything that probably put him off.

jonno

I was hoping he'd miss the final black, not that one.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteWhat has the Wizard of Wishaw got up his sleeve here?

Hehehe

Wizards sleeve means destroyed arse

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 06, 2019, 01:49:54 PM
My birthday, so a good excuse as any.

Break of 4 in The Graduate, pint of Amstel. Sense of despair.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Focus on the fundamentals

First lesson in snooker

- Self pity
- Existential angst
- Baldness
- Chronic gastric issues
- Competitors who murder prostitutes
- Keep your head still

Blue Jam

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 06, 2019, 01:49:11 PM
When you practice, do you just play out a frame from break to finish like you would in a match? I know it's all about fun but the better you are the more fun you'll have, there's a couple of practice drills I could pm you if you'd like, nothing complicated or boring, just a bit of repetition to get you used to potting balls.

That sounds great, please do. I do a bit of practice while Dr Beat is getting the drinks in but mainly we just play frames. I've been watching lots of stuff on YouTube and I'm a fan of this guy:

https://youtu.be/PWjaeV2dKjU

We're both improving and clearing the table much more quickly though, getting a bit more tactical too. Think I've got a fairly decent bridge now and I'm getting a bit more cue power, need a bit more practice at judging potting angles but that's coming together too... and every week it's a bit more fun than the last!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 06, 2019, 02:47:53 PM
Focus on the fundamentals

First lesson in snooker

- Self pity
- Existential angst
- Baldness
- Chronic gastric issues
- Competitors who murder prostitutes
- Keep your head still

Second lesson:

- Invest in some poorly-tailored waistcoats
- Piss away all your career earnings on an addiction
- Vote Tory

imitationleather

Trump cruising here. Bah.

Prepare the episodes of Coast and QI for some unscheduled transmissions!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteTom Blohm: Don't let news of the Royal baby distract you from this brilliant World Snooker final.

Don't worry Tom, I won't.

No wretched stillbirth will wrench me away from the baize. Eat shit.

imitationleather

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 06, 2019, 04:10:18 PM

Upon seeing this one of my kittens dived straight for the screen. What could it mean?

Puce Moment

Quote from: imitationleather on May 06, 2019, 04:16:42 PMUpon seeing this one of my kittens dived straight for the screen. What could it mean?

Does she hate enthusiastic Scots who look like a cross between Alan Mcmanus and Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen? Maybe she hates the way he finishes a profound sentence and then slowly walks off camera.

imitationleather

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 06, 2019, 04:19:01 PM
Does she hate enthusiastic Scots who look like a cross between Alan Mcmanus and Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen? Maybe she hates the way he finishes a profound sentence and then slowly walks off camera.

Hopefully. I was worried it might mean she's my Nan reincarnated.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2019, 02:51:49 PM
That sounds great, please do. I do a bit of practice while Dr Beat is getting the drinks in but mainly we just play frames. I've been watching lots of stuff on YouTube and I'm a fan of this guy:

https://youtu.be/PWjaeV2dKjU

We're both improving and clearing the table much more quickly though, getting a bit more tactical too. Think I've got a fairly decent bridge now and I'm getting a bit more cue power, need a bit more practice at judging potting angles but that's coming together too... and every week it's a bit more fun than the last!

To be fair he's pretty much covered everything I was going to say so yeah, just stick with him. There's a video in the suggestion box there for the line-up, which is absolutely the best way to learn basic positional pots plus you can rack up pretty high numbers, which will make you a bit less nervous about knocking in big breaks because you'll be potting blacks regularly. At first you might only knock in two reds and two blacks but it'll creep up, good luck anyway :)

Blue Jam

Cheers! I shall keep watching. I like those videos because they're fast-paced and entertaining and there's a bit of nerdy physics in them too.

Ooooh, great attempt at a 147, Judd! Unlucky.

Lovely shot on the blue from Higgins in the previous frame.

poo

This match'll be over before we even get that Dr Oetker Pizza Ristorante in the cunting oven. Big piss up Bank Holiday Monday snookerathon ruined by bald fuck and his magic cue. Cunt.

imitationleather

You've only got one Dr. Oetker between the two of you? That's Crucible changing room levels of desolation.

imitationleather

If I'd dropped the neck-end of £200 on a ticket for this session I would be raging.

Blue Jam

There should be a VIP package where Ding jumps out of a giant Pukka pie and sings "Happy Birthday, Mr President"

Blue Jam

Are those four blokes there Judd's brothers? They look like a cross between Coldplay and Kraftwerk.

imitationleather

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2019, 07:20:41 PM
Are those four blokes there Judd's brothers? They look like a cross between Coldplay and Kraftwerk.

They look like they were in a boyband fifteen years ago and are meeting up for the first time in ages to discuss putting their back catalogue on Spotify.

Blue Jam

"All good friends of Judd's there, looking very smart, like a boyband"

Bwahahaha Dennis... Does Judd only befriend men who look and dress like him?

Flouncer

John's wife is going to be mopping up his Bovril tears tonight.